Greece Greece - John Tossell, 73, British tourist went for a walk, Zante, 17 June 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Why would he say he was going to be back in 30 minutes if his intent was to go up to the monastery? The hiking guide posted above says it's a 5 hour round trip.

And then he went swimming in the sea, right? Sounds like he planned a whole day out without his partner. Or am I missing something?

Why would he say he was going to be back in 30 minutes if his intent was to go up to the monastery?
...And then he went swimming in the sea, right
? Sounds like he planned a whole day out without his partner. Or am I missing something?
I think that means he was planning to meet her at the pool when he returned from his walk.
But the '30 minutes' doesn't make any sense :confused:

The 73-year-old told told his partner of 19-years, Gillian Griffiths that he would meet her by the pool after he returned from the monastery at the top of Mount Skopos, which was near their hotel. However, John has never returned.

If he really said that then he clearly wasn't prepared & drastically underestimated the kind of hike involved?:(

https://greekcitytimes.com/2019/09/02/family-continues-fear-grandfather-disappeared-zakynthos/?amp

Was this the 3.30pm(?) sighting then? o_O

He left their holiday apartment at around 10:00 in the morning, they knew he made it to the top as a local café owner sighted the 73-year-old...
dG0mXc7.jpg

Panagia Skopiotissa Monastery
The café owner also mentioned that it was very hard to go off the track, it's too difficult to go across the country. Even the goats can't cross. He also stated it's not a big area.

That would be around 5 hrs then. If he set off straight back down thou without a good rest surely he'd be exhausted & severely dehydrated:confused:
I think he's still on the mountain somewhere :(
Welsh Pensioner Declared Lost On Island Holiday

I agree. It needs extensive searching
Tbey have searched extensively.
Along with the emergency/rescue services SAR dogs, a local professional photographer has been helping with his drone & even a team from Wales' Western Beacons Mountain Rescue flew out to assist the search.
But I agree, it needs searching extensively again, sadly thou I think this time using cadaver dogs :(

I live in Kenfig Hill where the Tossell family are from. I noticed at the local shop today that the family are holding a raffle, with prizes having been donated from various businesses in the village to raise money to help find John.
My heart aches for them. They are a well known lovely family in our community.

From Oct 21:

Fresh efforts are under way to try and solve the mystery disappearance of the Welsh holidaymaker who vanished on a Greek mountain .

Four months later, the Greek Police investigation has drawn a blank and deep down, John’s daughter, Katy Tossell, knows she won’t see her father alive again.

Now, the mystery of John’s disappearance has been picked up by an investigative crime journalist with her own TV show in Greece.

Aggeliki Nikolouli presents Fos sto Tounel, which translates as Light in the Tunnel, a series which looks to solve cases of missing people.

The first show for the new series, which will be screened later in October, tries to piece together John’s final movements in the hope of uncovering new information.

For Katy, it is the only hope left of finding her father. She is unimpressed with how the Greek police have dealt with the case so far and is left with the only possibility that something “untoward” has happened.

John isn’t the first person to go missing on the mountain, according to local sources on the island. It is claimed there have been a couple of similar cases where people simply vanished off Skopos.

In those instances, both had gone for a walk up the mountain but while one was found, the second person never was.

Mount Skopos isn’t a particularly big mountain so it is unusual for someone to disappear without trace especially after a comprehensive search.

More here:
Daughter of Welsh pensioner missing in Greece speaks of her fears

Andy Gregory 5 hours ago June 8 2024 rbbm
''Dr Michael Mosley’s family have been urged not to give up their search for the missing TV presenter by the son of a man who similarly disappeared on a Greek island five years ago in a “cut and paste” case.

The 67-year-old health and wellness expert has been missing since Wednesday after taking a coastal walk in searing heat on the Dodecanese island of Symi, in a case that has baffled local residents and has sparked a major search operation.

The case bears eerie similarities to that of John Tossell, a 78-year-old man from Bridgend, south Wales, who went missing on the Greek island of Zakynthos five years ago this month.''

Very odd. I heard about Michael Mosley being missing but had forgotten about this case. I take it the other man was never found.

I also came upon an article about this case, and it says he remains missing.

[Referring to the current case of a man who has gone missing in Greece]:
"...When I read the story it's like a cut and paste of my father," Mr Tossell's son Gary told Sky News.

"He went for a walk and he vanished into thin air. As a family, we got together and said this is surreal. It's the same story but a different person..."

Mr. Tossell's son also gives his views on LE's efforts to search for his father in 2019. And why the family believes someone was involved in John Tossell's disappearance.

Possible re posts.
1717883372515.png
John Tossell with son, Gary, and daughter, Katy

1717883457476.png
This was the last picture taken of John Tossell before he went missing (Image: Gillian Griffiths)
''The following morning after this picture was taken, John told Gillian he wanted to visit the masts on the mountains near their hotel and set off on a walk.

Gillian headed to the pool with a book and waited for him to come back from his walk. But John has never returned.

The couple, who have been together for 19 years, were on a last-minute trip to Zante and arrived on the island on June 14.''

His family have appealed for anyone who may have been in the area to think about whether they saw John, who was wearing a royal blue shirt.

Photographs
1720243378710.jpeg
They have also asked holidaymakers to scour their own photographs to check whether John was in the background of the shot

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back