Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s what my kid does. Plans out her stops, gets as much as she can find at 3-4 stores. Yesterday, it was pouring buckets all day here in SWFL. She suited up, took my truck because the streets were flooded and said, surely nobody is out in this mess!

Did that here day before yesterday. Managed to not have as big of a crowd as usual.

"The grocery store chain Publix is helping out two groups that really need it right now.
Publix announced this week it will be buying the surplus, taking it off the hands of farmers, and instead of selling it, will donate the food and milk to Feeding America food banks in the company’s operating area.
The company donated 150,000 pounds of produce and 43,500 gallons of milk in the first week of the initiative, the company said."

Coronavirus: Publix to buy farmers’ excess food, donate it to Feeding America

I've always had a small chest freezer in small places. Once I put it behind the sofa with a table cloth over it and a plant on top. Now I'm doing the same thing in my office. I never noticed it threw off much, if any heat.

Another good point is you do not have to defrost in the regular way. Simply shut it off after emptying it, get some bath towels and a big basin. Put the towels in while defrosting, with the lid up, and they will sop up the water. Put the towels in the basin, dry the freezer interior and you're good to go again.

Thanks for this @Trident. I was wondering about defrosting inside on hardwood floors in our rental. :eek: I’m also looking at “garage ready” chest freezers that withstand 0-110 degrees in case the deck looks like a better idea.

2 weeks ago, Walgreens could only give me a small portion of my Blood Pressure meds for my refill. It was on backorder.

And the same thing with my asthma inhaler....it was on backorder. I was worried because I only need to use it occasionally, but if I have an asthma attack , I REALLY need to have one.

So they called today and were able to fill my order. When I went to pick it up, I noticed they had an entire wall full of TP, Papertowels, napkins, etc.

So the supply line seems to be working alright for now.

Costco had pallets of sanitary wipes, TP, plenty of food. No problems in Montana. Seems to be very efficient, with tape on the floor, for people to all go in one direction.

I did notice lots of large families with tons of kids. Maybe they are not enforcing the "two person rule" here any more. I wish that they would. Sigh, no more samples.

Bat Soup Anyone?
This is how I started to become aware, and which led to me stocking up on food earlier than some. Thread 1 was started by @Amonet... I want to thank you.

then Thread 1 Post #10
on January 23, 2020
had this link:

Chinese woman eats bat in restaurant despite coronavirus link | Daily Mail Online

Have you had a food shortage? Here the stores have been mostly normal except for a week or two where there was a run on dry food. My produce aisle never waivered and the store has been almost completely back to normal for about two weeks. Plus our take out places have been bombed daily. In and Out, Chik Fil A, Chipotle and White Castle all are booming.

A while back I was having a discussion with my banker. And for some strange reason our conversation wandered, and we somehow got to a very important question ....."what would be the one product you could not do without". So I told her that I used to say "butter".........but now I would say "coffee creamer".
Today I came across "powdered butter" as a grocery product you can order online. I hadn't heard of powdered butter before, but apparently campers and others use it, and it can be used in baking, etc.

Have you had a food shortage? Here the stores have been mostly normal except for a week or two where there was a run on dry food. My produce aisle never waivered and the store has been almost completely back to normal for about two weeks. Plus our take out places have been bombed daily. In and Out, Chik Fil A, Chipotle and White Castle all are booming.
I always have had a backup supply of food and water at home and in my truck. I did add a bit more since the start of this pandemic.

I live in Sacramento California where we have a threat of flooding and earthquakes. So I keep a go bag that I can take with me if I have to leave home in a hurry.

I also keep a get home bag in my truck in case of a situation that causes me to have problems getting home in the usual manner.

Which state? Lucky you. It's improving here in So. Cali.
I live in Sacramento California and I haven't experienced any kind of food shortage. Four or five weeks ago I did see that eggs and bread where gone from the shelves of two stores I went to but that only lasted a week.

It didn't affect me because I didn't need to buy any at that time. Spam seemed to be wiped out for some reason also. I don't care for spam much so I didn't care.

No food shortage for me so far.

I always have had a backup supply of food and water at home and in my truck. I did add a bit more since the start of this pandemic.

I live in Sacramento California where we have a threat of flooding and earthquakes. So I keep a go bag that I can take with me if I have to leave home in a hurry.

I also keep a get home bag in my truck in case of a situation that causes me to have problems getting home in the usual manner.

I’ve been a prepper since Y2K. Don’t hoard, just get a little extra each time and it adds up. My motto is basically the scout motto, Be Prepared.

I want to keep a go bag in my vehicle, but am quite concerned about hot summer temperatures and the effects on everything. I’m in Texas, with really, really hot summers.
Do you or anyone have any suggestions on that? TIA

Costco had pallets of sanitary wipes, TP, plenty of food. No problems in Montana. Seems to be very efficient, with tape on the floor, for people to all go in one direction.

I did notice lots of large families with tons of kids. Maybe they are not enforcing the "two person rule" here any more. I wish that they would. Sigh, no more samples.
About the 'no more samples' issue---my retired friend had a part time job she loved, which was working for a company that set up the 'sample events' for various stores and products.

She has been laid off but was recently told that they are trying to come up with a way that they can 'safely' continue to offer samples in the future. It may involve tiny sealed packets of some kind?

such as to get my ultra high temperature shelf-stable milk at the Dollar Tree as someone had suggested.

Please tell me what this high temp milk looks like if you can. I didn't know Dollar Tree had any milk. I only saw coffee creamers dry and liquid ones.

Dollar Tree is where I get the strong Comet kitchen bleach spray I like. Good to clean bottom of shoes too. The spray nozzle doesn't work on any of them tho'. It's been hard to get it lately.

I also like their Wintergreen Alcohol only 50%, but it's perfect if you add a few drops of Dawn and a little bit of water. Lately, they've been selling better working empty spray bottles to put it in. The DIY solution is gentle enough to clean counters and doesn't dissolve the letters off my keyboard.

High temp milk...never heard of it.

About the 'no more samples' issue---my retired friend had a part time job she loved, which was working for a company that set up the 'sample events' for various stores and products.

She has been laid off but was recently told that they are trying to come up with a way that they can 'safely' continue to offer samples in the future. It may involve tiny sealed packets of some kind?
Those little clear covered condiment containers would be perfect. They can prep them in the back and bring them out and put them on the station. I've always wondered why they didn't do that to begin with. I've never been a sample person because of food allergies. I'm the goofball behind the sales lady reading the label. LOL!

After my last Instacart problem, I went out to the local deep discount grocery store, Marc's. It's a smallish chain in our region. Smaller store, not fancy, but my favorite for its low prices. They had everything! We'd been a month without sliced cheese, deli meats, and a bunch of other things. This little store had all the same brands at the usual low prices. They don't participate in Instacart, nor do they have grocery pick up, but they're cleaning carts, have hand sanitizer, sneeze guards at checkout and everyone was doing the safe distance thing very well. One trip and I refilled on enough things that I don't need to shop again for another 3 weeks or so. It's just hubs and I at home these days, so we don't need a whole lot.

For a peaceful Sunday morning, below is my favorite webcam - Old Faithful at Yellowstone.

Webcams - Yellowstone National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Watch with some music like this in the background

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member