GUILTY/NOT GUILTY - KY - Logan Tipton, 6, stabbed to death, Versailles, 7 Dec 2015

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Man who killed boy has ‘major mental illness,’ previously injured baby, doctor testifies

A psychologist who evaluated Ronald Exantus concluded that he has “a major mental illness” and was undergoing a psychotic episode when he stabbed 6-year-Logan Tipton to death in Versailles.

On the fifth day of testimony in the Exantus trial, Dr. Kenneth Benedict, who was hired by the defense, could not specify what type of illness Exantus has. But he said it could be schizophrenia.

The testimony is the foundation of the defense, which acknowledges that Exantus, an Indianapolis nurse, killed the boy in December 2015 but argues Exantus should be found not guilty by reason of insanity.

Shocked Versailles family hears jury rule insanity in boy’s killing

http://www.kentucky.com/news/local/crime/article205842629.html

Ronald Exantus has been found not guilty by reason of insanity by a Lexington jury in the murder of a 6-year-old Versailles boy, who was killed in bed on a December night in 2015.

The family of Logan Tipton left the Lexington courtroom in anger late Monday night after the verdict was delivered. Screams of “It’s not fair!” could be heard inside the courtroom.

The jury also concluded that Exantus was not guilty by reason of insanity on a burglary charge. He was found guilty but mentally ill on two counts of second-degree assault and one count of fourth-degree assault; those counts involved injuries suffered by two of Logan’s sisters and the boy’s father.

The jury will return at 1 p.m. Tuesday to determine recommended sentences on the assault convictions. Penalties could range from 5-10 years for each count of second-degree assault and up to a year on the fourth-degree assault conviction.

Not guilty of murder, jury recommends 20 years for Exantus on assault convictions

A jury has recommended a 20 year sentence for an Indiana man who admitted he killed a six year old Woodford County boy.

Late Monday night, the same jury found Exantus not guilty by reason of insanity for the murder of Logan Tipton.

The jury did find Exantus guilty but mentally ill on charges of assault involving injuries to Tipton’s sisters and father.

http://www.kentucky.com/news/local/crime/article206061744.html

“It’s an inconsistent verdict,” said Woodford County Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney Keith Eardley. “I don’t think it makes legal or logical sense. I’m very disappointed.”

In front of the jury, Logan’s mother, Heather Pujol Tipton, expressed her frustration with the inconsistent verdicts during the penalty phase of the trial on Tuesday. She said her children “were heartbroken and confused” by the jury’s decision. Her daughter Dakota, who suffered a stab wound to her back in the attack, couldn’t understand it.

“Dakota said, ‘Mommy, if he stabbed me first and then he killed Logan, how is he guilty of stabbing me but he is not guilty of killing Logan? This is coming from a 9-year-old,” Heather Tipton said.

Ronald Exantus sentenced 20 years for assaults related to Versailles boy's stabbing death

Ronald Exantus was sentenced to 10 years for each second-degree assault charge and one year for a fourth-degree assault which will run concurrently.

The jury recommended the maximum sentence for the assault convictions which is a 20-year sentence. The judge taking that recommendation sentencing Exantus to 20 years in a state prison. However, with credit for time served he will be eligible for parole in December of 2019.

'Like Logan didn't matter.' Slain boy's big sister, others protest nurse's assault sentence

Logan’s older sister, Koral Tipton; mother; and father, Dean Tipton, all spoke in the courtroom before final sentencing.

“I want you to know that you are lucky that me and my dad didn’t kill you” during the struggle after Logan was stabbed, Koral Tipton said. She also said jurors “acted like Logan didn’t matter.”

Heather Tipton told Exantus “when you murdered my son, you slaughtered my entire family. ...None of us are the same.”

Heather Tipton said she will one day forgive Exantus for her sake, not for his.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crankymomma
Back