GUILTY - Sidney Moorer RETRIAL for Kidnapping Heather Elvis, 9 Sept 2019 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
NL reminds of a modern day court room "Columbo" in her delivery and careful reconsideration before she goes in for the surgical strike. She did this time and time again. Fascinating to watch and very compelling.
I can't wait to watch it later. It sounds as if it is as gut wrenching and hard hitting as her closing arguments at TM's trial. She really has mastered her art and is so skilled at delivering a powerful performance to the jury that ties all the evidence together. She seems to read the jury very well and trusts their capabilities to make the right decision based on the evidence, rather than boring them to death by banging on and on. I know her previous closings have certainly kept me hanging onto her every word. A stark contrast to the defense!

Some highlights from closing arguments:

"We’ve got phone records. We’ve got video. If we had a witness, he would’ve needed glasses," Livesay told the jury, saying no evidence would be good enough for the defense.

Over and over again, Livesay said Moorer's actions on and after the night Elvis disappeared made no sense.

"Why are you removing the SD card?" she asked. "Why are you powering your phone off in the middle of the night?"

Moorer, who chose not to testify in his own defense, looked on.

"Why would you lie to police unless you had something to hide?" she continued. Referencing some of her favorite books, she continued: "There's no doubt who the villain is. It's Sidney Moorer."

She told them the Elvis' quest for justice would not end until they came back with a guilty verdict, and admitted she didn't have enough evidence to bring murder charges against Moorer.

"Her freedom was cut off," Livesay said. "That I know beyond a reasonable doubt."

Defense Attorney Jarrett Bouchette used his time to remind jurors that police made missteps in investigating the teenager's death before they realized they needed to launch a full-blown missing persons investigation.

"Nothing actually puts him at the [Peachtree Boat Landing]," he said. "There's no DNA anywhere."

Referencing an unexpected video that prosecutors played, showing Moorer and his wife power washing their truck after Elvis disappeared, he swept his arm at the defendant.

"We just heard that he was standing there at his house, vacuuming his car," he said. "That's their excuse [for the lack of DNA evidence]. The truck doesn't go to the landing. That's why there's no DNA."

Finally, Bouchette reminded the jury of the burden they had to overcome, telling the jurors that a verdict of not guilty would not be a personal attack against the Elvis family.

"We don't send people to prison on circumstantial evidence," he said.

'There's no doubt who the villain is:' Closing arguments in Sidney Moorer trial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member