GUILTY - Wayne Millard Murder Trial - Dellen Millard Charged With Murder - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I just wanted to ask... I have seen it a few times now and I'm confused.. I've seen it published that DM is getting 102 years.. oh wait.. are they meaning that he will be 102 by the time he gets out? Wasn't he older than 27 when he went in tho?

Offenders can receive extra credit for time spent in custody before they are sentenced. I'm not sure if that's the case here, but it may be.

SCC Summers

SCC Carvery

The judgement is just but it still feels overwhelmingly sad overall, for so many obvious reasons I don't need to detail.

I hope that this insurmountable sentence leads him to feel even a modicum of the helplessness that his victims and their families felt at his hands.

As always, thanks for the discussion.
My best wishes to you all as you celebrate the season and ring in the new year!

Dellen Millard gets third life sentence for killing father; not eligible for parole for 75 years

On Tuesday, Toronto police homicide Detective Sergeant Mike Carbone described Mr. Millard as a “very sophisticated” killer.

“He was able to go between being a very normal person to being a very diabolical and violent individual,” he said.

Outside the courthouse, Ms. Cameron said the public should be relieved that Mr. Millard will “never see the light of day.”

“He killed three people for different reasons in the span of a year, and the public definitely has to be protected from a person like him,” she said.

'It was a long, long five years,' says lead detective in two Millard probes

""If the family had not come forward, there would be no program that would have linked the two (Millard and Babcock) together," Carbone says. "They were key."
In May 2013, as the Babcock investigation was underway, Carbone says his team started looking into the suicide of Wayne Millard. They learned that police had seized a .32-calibre revolver found beside the 71-year-old's bed. The gun had been swabbed, but the swabs were never tested.

The results of the tests -- later ordered by Carbone -- came back with two pieces of DNA on the gun's handle: one unknown and one belonging to Dellen Millard. Wayne Millard's DNA was not on the gun.

"It should have been submitted (for analysis)," says Carbone.

Homicide investigators later found that the gun had changed hands several times until Matthew Ward-Jackson, a weapons dealer nicknamed "Iisho," sold it to Millard the day before Babcock vanished.

The coroner, Dr. David Evans, testified earlier this year that he told officers at the scene about the unusual "election site" -- the name given to the location where people who die by suicide shoot themselves. Wayne Millard died by a bullet through his left eyeball that entered his brain.

"That was a red flag," Carbone says, adding police should have dug deeper.

Two days after Wayne Millard was found dead, the coroner officially deemed it a suicide."

I do believe that today was the last time I will ever look at DM's ****-eating grin, and it's not a moment too soon.

What was your sense of what the looking around and smiling was supposed to convey in his mind? Did it feel like he was just smiling at his supporters, or trying to look like a generally pleasant, long-suffering guy for people? Or was it smug or supercilious, or kind of combative?

In some other life, I would have loved to attend the trials. As I’ve said before, I’m really appreciative of the extra information and colour you and others who have attended bring to the group.

If one of DM's ambitions was to become infamous and get lots of attention, he has achieved that. I can't think of another Canadian murderer who has commanded public and media attention for so long, and on so many separate occasions. What is truly ironic is that he should be viewed as one of the stupidest criminals we've ever seen, given that he himself created and preserved most of the evidence that was the basis for his convictions.

Spectaular own goal scored by number 75, Dellen Millard! Assisted by number 1 Mom, and number 69 girlfriend. And the crowd goes wild!

I wonder if his mom has come to terms yet with the fact that her son is indeed a killer? Gotta be so hard. Wonder how the search is going for a woman to replace CN in giving him a committed relationship and a child while he rots?

There will be, as there always are in these cases, a sad little contingent of women vying to be his special friend. He’ll make the manipulative most out of it, I’m sure.

Prisoners are allowed to receive love letters. Are they allowed to receive hate mail I wonder?

Prisoners are allowed to receive love letters. Are they allowed to receive hate mail I wonder?
Mail and Security
Institution staff can check letters you write or receive. The Superintendent can refuse to send a letter that affects the security of the institution, threatens someone or incites hate or violence. If this happens, the staff will tell you why your letter was not sent. The letter will be returned to you. You may either rewrite it or have it stored with your property.

If someone sends you a letter that is threatening, contains bad language or incites hate or violence, the letter will be returned to the person who mailed it. The Superintendent will write and tell the person why the letter is being returned. You will be told if a letter is not given to you.

Corrections - Inmate Guide | Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services

""If the family had not come forward, there would be no program that would have linked the two (Millard and Babcock) together," Carbone says. "They were key."
In May 2013, as the Babcock investigation was underway, Carbone says his team started looking into the suicide of Wayne Millard. They learned that police had seized a .32-calibre revolver found beside the 71-year-old's bed. The gun had been swabbed, but the swabs were never tested.

The results of the tests -- later ordered by Carbone -- came back with two pieces of DNA on the gun's handle: one unknown and one belonging to Dellen Millard. Wayne Millard's DNA was not on the gun.

"It should have been submitted (for analysis)," says Carbone.

Homicide investigators later found that the gun had changed hands several times until Matthew Ward-Jackson, a weapons dealer nicknamed "Iisho," sold it to Millard the day before Babcock vanished.

The coroner, Dr. David Evans, testified earlier this year that he told officers at the scene about the unusual "election site" -- the name given to the location where people who die by suicide shoot themselves. Wayne Millard died by a bullet through his left eyeball that entered his brain.

"That was a red flag," Carbone says, adding police should have dug deeper.

Two days after Wayne Millard was found dead, the coroner officially deemed it a suicide."

Is this the first time we are hearing that Wayne Millard's DNA was not found on the gun?

Is this the first time we are hearing that Wayne Millard's DNA was not found on the gun?
I'm not sure. I can't remember.. will have to look into that.. whether it was something unsaid, or actually stated previously? It sure stood out like a sore thumb when I read it there though. How could WM's DNA possibly NOT have been on the gun if he'd shot himself? It's not like they're saying they found the coroner's or a police officer's DNA, along with DM's and WM's. I can't believe they would take it for testing and then not run the tests. TPS's incompetence just becomes more and more outstanding, it seems, the more we learn. imo.

I'm not sure. I can't remember.. will have to look into that.. whether it was something unsaid, or actually stated previously? It sure stood out like a sore thumb when I read it there though. How could WM's DNA possibly NOT have been on the gun if he'd shot himself? It's not like they're saying they found the coroner's or a police officer's DNA, along with DM's and WM's. I can't believe they would take it for testing and then not run the tests. TPS's incompetence just becomes more and more outstanding, it seems, the more we learn. imo.

It seems to me that this important detail was never mentioned. Surely we would have discussed it as significant evidence that WM did not shoot himself. I recall thinking that the gun evidence was fairly weak, but sheesh ... no fingerprints! That changes the whole potential scenerio.

It seems to me that this important detail was never mentioned. Surely we would have discussed it as significant evidence that WM did not shoot himself. I recall thinking that the gun evidence was fairly weak, but sheesh ... no fingerprints! That changes the whole potential scenerio.
Surely DM could not have been *that* stupid to not even have bothered to place the gun in his father's hand? What about GSR? They did test that, I recall, on the pillow, correct? Did they not test WM's hand(s)? I guess we must have already known that they didn't bother to test DM's hands? I think you're right, I don't think this was discussed before.. and doesn't this make it a slam-dunk in itself?

I remeber the evidence as well. They did recover a second DNA profile from the gun, but there was so little material recovered it wasn’t suitable for any kind of testing. This isn’t uncommon for ‘touch DNA’. I think somebody posted an article here at the time as well stating that fingerprints are often not recoverable from weapons either, due to a variety of factors. So, unfortunately, while the forensic evidence on the gun coudn’t rule Wayne in, it couldn’t rule him out either.

I remeber the evidence as well. They did recover a second DNA profile from the gun, but there was so little material recovered it wasn’t suitable for any kind of testing. This isn’t uncommon for ‘touch DNA’. I think somebody posted an article here at the time as well stating that fingerprints are often not recoverable from weapons either, due to a variety of factors. So, unfortunately, while the forensic evidence on the gun coudn’t rule Wayne in, it couldn’t rule him out either.
That is not how the newspaper article is written though. It says nothing about prints at all, and only speaks of DNA, saying that two were found, one belonging to DM and one belonging to unknown. It doesn't say anything about one being too messed up or intertwined or contaminated with other to be identified, it says 'one unknown'. And it specifically states that WM's DNA was NOT on the gun.... not that it could've been, if only the sample were better. That is what I think perhaps the difference is between what we're hearing here and what we heard earlier.

That is not how the newspaper article is written though. It says nothing about prints at all, and only speaks of DNA, saying that two were found, one belonging to DM and one belonging to unknown. It doesn't say anything about one being too messed up or intertwined or contaminated with other to be identified, it says 'one unknown'. And it specifically states that WM's DNA was NOT on the gun.... not that it could've been, if only the sample were better. That is what I think perhaps the difference is between what we're hearing here and what we heard earlier.

Yeah the fingerprint discussion happened here - I didn’t mean to imply it was part of evidence. Sorry if that wasn’t clear.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/wayne-millard-trial-day-12-1.4708987

From that article: “Reports from the Centre of Forensic Sciences on the gun found at Wayne Millard's bedside didn't come back until July 2013, which was months after his death was ruled a suicide.

Dellen Millard's DNA wasn't tested against the DNA on the gun until June 2015.

The documents also show that a second DNA profile was found on the gun, but it was of such a low amount that it wasn't suitable for any sort of testing.”

I think that’s what I was thinking of.

DNA tests link Dellen Millard to alleged murder weapon in father's death | CBC News

From that article: “Reports from the Centre of Forensic Sciences on the gun found at Wayne Millard's bedside didn't come back until July 2013, which was months after his death was ruled a suicide.

Dellen Millard's DNA wasn't tested against the DNA on the gun until June 2015.
That is just incomprehensible. The man dies in what, November 2012? They take swabs, but don't bother to send it in for testing? Finally send it in, presumably after DM's arrest in the Tim Bosma case, say in May 2013? results come back in July 2013... but they don't bother to compare it to DM's DNA until TWO YEARS LATER????

My biggest beef is with the gun..... they must not have even checked it out at the time ..... when they finally did , it had originally belonged to a policeman (who in later years suffered from dementia) so it was sold by his family and then ended up in the hands of tattoo man and then Dellen.

My biggest beef is with the gun..... they must not have even checked it out at the time ..... when they finally did , it had originally belonged to a policeman (who in later years suffered from dementia) so it was sold by his family and then ended up in the hands of tattoo man and then Dellen.
I was also thinking about the gun. I'll bet LE didn't even confiscate it, and instead just left it there, in the hands of DM. Obviously they didn't bother to check ownership records of the gun. DM had told LE that WM had owned guns - they likely just left it there. Waiting for DM to commit another murder with it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gretyr
Back