Gun Control Debate #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2A is never going away, especially after SM has exposed the deep hatred the MSM & many Americans have for fellow citizens who do not agree with them. They are certainly vicious.

The 2nd Amendment is not going away. That's not going to happen.

There is a whole history about why we have the Bill of Rights - and the 2nd amendment is part of the Bill of Rights. I won't go into that, but I feel rather secure that the 2nd amendment is not going to go away.

On another level, guns are indeed part of American culture. I grew up in a hunting family and grew up around guns. While I myself didn't hunt and had no interest in the guns, it didn't bother me that we had guns in the house. I never thought about them as anything other than guns my dad used to go hunting (and it was fun when he did - all the aunts and girl cousins got together when the men and boys were away and we had a blast! I loved hunting seasons.) My husband and I haven't continued the hunting tradition with our children, but plenty of our relatives have. I see no reason for that to end. People can have guns without killing other people.

However, I am an advocate of reforming our gun-regulations. I want tighter restrictions....but in no way to I want to get rid of the 2nd amendment. It doesn't have to be either/or - there is room for improvement and it's time to make changes. We can't go on like this and call ourselves a civilized country.

The hatred each side of the issue has for the other side saddens me deeply. The divide in this country is shocking and it's painful that there seems to be little interest in healing the divide. We need leadership to bring us TOGETHER....and since that's not happening, we need to do that ourselves. That's my hope in all of this.

jmo, of course

I agree.

If the answer to gun violence is more guns, in my opinion, we've failed to answer. We're fallen down on the job as adults responsible for raising children.

jmopinion....feeling very down about all this, I admit!!
I get the whole personal responsibility thing.....but semi-automatic weapons should not be manufactured for civilian use, it's madness !!! There is no logical use for them, except mass murder. I'm right leaning but hate guns.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

If you want see something scary just goggle "AR15 gun raffle". There are 3rd graders selling tickets all the way up to a GOP candidate and this is after the shooting in FL. I just don't have words for this (actually I do but I don't want to get a time-out or outright banned never to be seen again:scared:).

I have no understanding of gun culture.
I want all guns banned except for LE guns.
I would like to see people handing in their guns.. all of them.
Broward co Sheriff dept Rt a tweet from a guy on 17th who had decided to hand in his gun..
Admirable gesture.
Would love to see much more of this.
Those of you who are NRA supporters, have guns or want guns or even collect guns- WHY?
we don't have guns in my country . That's a good thing, if we had we would be seeing the same problems.
I won't be staying here to debate or argue, just to ask those simple questions.

-why do you believe you need a gun?
- what do you imagine your life would be like if you agreed to forfeit your gun permanently?

Guns are for killing.
The Founding Fathers are gone, and with them a helluva lot of vicious ideology.
Tear up the second amendment and burn it.

Hey Kittythehare...

Why? Answering for DH here primarily.

Because he can.

Meaning entitlement to them via the 2A, he can afford them now and he has accessibility to them and he enjoys them (we are talking semi-auto pistols and bolt-action rifles, nothing crazy).

He did not own one when we met 10 years ago, neither did I. When he asked me if I was okay with him buying one a few years ago I was okay with it, we were empty nesters then.

I was always down on guns too like you but that was because of kids living at home and I was afraid of them. Fast forward to now we have several locked up in a huge combo safe. I fought him hard on locking every last one of them up (because we have a teen living with us now) instead of leaving them readily accessible and loaded.

I am no longer afraid of them and know how to clean fire load reload, etc. It grew into a hobby for him and an education and training for me. We will take them out to visit the firing range to practice otherwise he reloads when he has time.

Would I miss them? I really don't think so.

DH would never give them up voluntarily. Not just no, but oh HELL NO. Side note: he is not now and will never be a member of the NRA.

ETA: Forgot this... My dad took me target practicing once or twice when I was maybe 9 or 10yo. When his Alzheimer's got bad he passed on his 2 rifles to me and his pistol to my bro.

Hope that helps. [emoji111]

If you want see something scary just goggle "AR15 gun raffle". There are 3rd graders selling tickets all the way up to a GOP candidate and this is after the shooting in FL. I just don't have words for this (actually I do but I don't want to get a time-out or outright banned never to be seen again:scared:).

Coach Levi Patterson told the Kansas City Star the fundraiser for the third-grade team in Neosho, Missouri, had been planned before last week’s shooting in Parkland, Florida.

He says his heart breaks for the shooting victims, but said gun raffles have been going on for years. He also said none of the children on the team would be forced to sell raffle tickets. Players selling tickets range in age from 7 to 9.

http://nbc4i.com/2018/02/19/missouri-youth-baseball-team-moves-forward-with-ar-15-raffle/amp/

The 2nd Amendment is not going away. That's not going to happen.

There is a whole history about why we have the Bill of Rights - and the 2nd amendment is part of the Bill of Rights. I won't go into that, but I feel rather secure that the 2nd amendment is not going to go away.

On another level, guns are indeed part of American culture. I grew up in a hunting family and grew up around guns. While I myself didn't hunt and had no interest in the guns, it didn't bother me that we had guns in the house. I never thought about them as anything other than guns my dad used to go hunting (and it was fun when he did - all the aunts and girl cousins got together when the men and boys were away and we had a blast! I loved hunting seasons.) My husband and I haven't continued the hunting tradition with our children, but plenty of our relatives have. I see no reason for that to end. People can have guns without killing other people.

However, I am an advocate of reforming our gun-regulations. I want tighter restrictions....but in no way to I want to get rid of the 2nd amendment. It doesn't have to be either/or - there is room for improvement and it's time to make changes. We can't go on like this and call ourselves a civilized country.

The hatred each side of the issue has for the other side saddens me deeply. The divide in this country is shocking and it's painful that there seems to be little interest in healing the divide. We need leadership to bring us TOGETHER....and since that's not happening, we need to do that ourselves. That's my hope in all of this.

jmo, of course
Excellent post!

Hey Kittythehare...

Why? Answering for DH here primarily.

Because he can.

Meaning entitlement to them via the 2A, he can afford them now and he has accessibility to them and he enjoys them (we are talking semi-auto pistols and bolt-action rifles, nothing crazy).

He did not own one when we met 10 years ago, neither did I. When he asked me if I was okay with him buying one a few years ago I was okay with it, we were empty nesters then.

I was always down on guns too like you but that was because of kids living at home and I was afraid of them. Fast forward to now we have several locked up in a huge combo safe. I fought him hard on locking every last one of them up (because we have a teen living with us now) instead of leaving them readily accessible and loaded.

I am no longer afraid of them and know how to clean fire load reload, etc. It grew into a hobby for him and an education and training for me. We will take them out to visit the firing range to practice otherwise he reloads when he has time.

Would I miss them? I really don't think so.

DH would never give them up voluntarily. Not just no, but oh HELL NO. Side note: he is not now and will never be a member of the NRA.

Hope that helps. [emoji111]
it does, thanks..
BUT- they're locked in a safe, there'
s a burglar who is a known assassin in the garden and you forgot to lock the back door, how the hell do you get to the cupboard , find the keys, take the thing out, load it and whatever else you need to do and then aim it and then blow him away.. that's quite a few minutes, is it not?

Those were the things I had to deal with when I was advised to get a shotgun to protect my sanctuary, I just knew it would be useless because I am awkward and slow..

Just one other q, if you don't mind- the concealed permit- does that mean little old ladies carry them in their handbags and go to the shops with them and it is not a good idea to annoy them for that reason?

I remember meeting cops when I was in the states, many years ago and asking them about their guns...like 'is that real, can I hold it?' And I visited a mafia owned club in Burlington and they all had guns so I knew not to misbehave too much...
A hobby... I can see that.
Thanks a lot.

I'm a law-abiding citizen and a gun owner who strongly believes in my right to protect my family. I'm also a parent to a high school freshman who gets withdrawn after every single one of these shootings and doesn't want to go to school. She asks me how this keeps happening and why nobody is doing anything about it. What do I tell her? There is absolutely no reason in the world that an 18-year-old with known mental health issues should be able to legally buy a weapon that has no other purpose than to obliterate as many people as possible. How could that possibly have had a good outcome? But under our current gun laws it was perfectly legal. The last time I bought a rifle, I just had to give them my name and DOB and social and check a box to indicate if I was mentally ill or not. Really???? We have GOT to do better to keep our kids safe.

it does, thanks..
BUT- they're locked in a safe, there'
s a burglar who is a known assassin in the garden and you forgot to lock the back door, how the hell do you get to the cupboard , find the keys, take the thing out, load it and whatever else you need to do and then aim it and then blow him away.. that's quite a few minutes, is it not?

Those were the things I had to deal with when I was advised to get a shotgun to protect my sanctuary, I just knew it would be useless because I am awkward and slow..

Just one other q, if you don't mind- the concealed permit- does that mean little old ladies carry them in their handbags and go to the shops with them and it is not a good idea to annoy them for that reason?

I remember meeting cops when I was in the states, many years ago and asking them about their guns...like 'is that real, can I hold it?' And I visited a mafia owned club in Burlington and they all had guns so I knew not to misbehave too much...
A hobby... I can see that.
Thanks a lot.

BBM. Lol about the little old ladies. Everyone I know with a concealed permit has an under-the-clothes holster for their gun. It's really dangerous to have it in your purse.

I'm a law-abiding citizen and a gun owner who strongly believes in my right to protect my family. I'm also a parent to a high school freshman who gets withdrawn after every single one of these shootings and doesn't want to go to school. She asks me how this keeps happening and why nobody is doing anything about it. What do I tell her? There is absolutely no reason in the world that an 18-year-old with known mental health issues should be able to legally buy a weapon that has no other purpose than to obliterate as many people as possible. How could that possibly have had a good outcome? But under our current gun laws it was perfectly legal. The last time I bought a rifle, I just had to give them my name and DOB and social and check a box to indicate if I was mentally ill or not. Really???? We have GOT to do better to keep our kids safe.

Yes, we've got to do better.

We've got to vote.

We've got to keep talking in reasonable ways.....exactly like this post. This post makes sense to me and probably does to most people.

Keep talking. Vote.

BBM. Lol about the little old ladies. Everyone I know with a concealed permit has an under-the-clothes holster for their gun. It's really dangerous to have it in your purse.
under the clothes? Is it not extremely uncomfortable and cold and heavy?

under the clothes? Is it not extremely uncomfortable and cold and heavy?

Good question....but I'd really love to focus attention on changing laws that are possible to change. And, I think that there is possibility for change with stronger regulations against the ease of buying powerful weapons like the shooter in Florida easily purchased.

If we focus on regular hand-guns, grandmas who carry, homeowners who want protection, hobbyist target shooters, hunters, etc.....that is not going to change anything. In my opinion.

Let's start with what can be done.

jmo

This was an interesting article i was just reading before, yet we never really hear much about any of these countries & mass shootings, wonder what the difference is between them & the USA?
(quote)
List of Countries with Lax Gun Laws

SWITZERLAND
Czech Republic
Italy
Pakistan
Panama
East Timor
Argentina
France
Northern Ireland
Sweden
https://sites.google.com/site/countrieswithlaxgunlaws/services

I have a sincere question for everyone. How can farmers and ranchers protect their livestock from predators if they can no longer use guns? We sold our farm a few years ago so I don't have that need anymore but I do understand what it would mean to them. The threat to livestock is real and the financial loss would be staggering, not to mention the emotional loss of seeing the animals gutted and ripped to shreds. Because farming and ranching are businesses, do you think it would be fair for them to apply for and receive permits to protect their livestock?

Good question....but I'd really love to focus attention on changing laws that are possible to change. And, I think that there is possibility for change with stronger regulations against the ease of buying powerful weapons like the shooter in Florida easily purchased.

If we focus on regular hand-guns, grandmas who carry, homeowners who want protection, hobbyist target shooters, hunters, etc.....that is not going to change anything. In my opinion.

Let's start with what can be done.

jmo
The gun debate is more than the laws...
What are they and why do you want them?

If it changes to needing a doctor to sign a piece of paper to certify you are sane, how long is that sanity guaranteed? A year? 10 years? Until the next bad thing happens?

I get the hobby, thanks to watergirl.. I get the protecting of the home, to a degree.. but people from all levels will enter this debate..

Suppose one gets completely drunk, is one's entitlement the same as that of a sober person?
If one kills someone while drunk, is it less serious? or more serious from a legal aspect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member