Gun Control Debate #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a trip to Europe would display the incredible diversity. One thing, in the UK and France, they have many territories and colonies so that people can freely move to France or England. Sweden has Iraqui. Not sure of what else.

It is so fabulous to see because people wear their clothing from their country. And they have the food. Open air markets. Rich in the cultures. A total delight

--This is what is so great about America. And this is the place where you can go to German, China town, little Italy, Irish pub, English pub, the uber desired French cafes, Scandinavian smorgasbord, Tex Mex, Mex Mex, southern divine, and the Combo heritage of southern cooking, Caribbean... And on and on...

We are the imprint of all these influences, Native American, Europe, Africa, Mexico, Japan, China, Thailand, the Middle East, South America, Caribbean, Hawaiian, and Canada, and our Inuit friends to the way north, and our friends in Australia and New Zealand... Did I leave anyone out? Everyone is here. There's no place on earth where everyone is here like the USA.

We are all here. And that is why I think we are special.

Each heritage may have come on board at a different time, and each brings a deep history, but the one thing we have in common--this is our country.

I remember two students who spoke no English in 7th grade, one from Korea, one from Yugoslavia. They learned English within a year. Why? Because we were all over them helping them out. That's the school I remember. And I think that's how kids really are, mostly, giving in their instincts.

These kids in Parkland were no different. Look at them. They could be any school.

But what they knew was trouble amongst them, too. So did the parent, friend, school, and neighbor, too.

America missed the boat on Parkland. So did LE, so did the FBI. The FBI!!!! That's what floors me the most.

I can't even go to ironic because I grew up in the Cold War, but the FBI is the highest authority, and if they missed it, then there's something really wrong...

I like England too and wouldn't mind going back one day. I wasn't there long but yes it was an easy place to be. You gotta love that accent.

My daughter studied in Paris but she traveled all over France while she was there. She said the armed men were all over the metro area too. They were all dressed in black and would stand on street corners and just watch everyone. She said first it was weird but then it was comforting especially when she was walking somewhere alone at night. Maybe it wasnt local police if they aren't armed idk. This was in 2008.

Hm. That is very strange. Not usual. Had something just happened then?

Not in 2008 I'm sure?

After the 2015 attacks there were soldiers in camo with big rifles everywhere (quite stressful in itself if you ask me), but no men in black.

I think a trip to Europe would display the incredible diversity. One thing, in the UK and France, they have many territories and colonies so that people can freely move to France or England. Sweden has Iraqui. Not sure of what else.

It is so fabulous to see because people wear their clothing from their country. And they have the food. Open air markets. Rich in the cultures. A total delight

Very much O/T - may I recommend the restaurant Pooja passage Brady in Paris? :clap:

--This is what is so great about America. And this is the place where you can go to German, China town, little Italy, Irish pub, English pub, the uber desired French cafes, Scandinavian smorgasbord, Tex Mex, Mex Mex, southern divine, and the Combo heritage of southern cooking, Caribbean... And on and on...

We are the imprint of all these influences, Native American, Europe, Africa, Mexico, Japan, China, Thailand, the Middle East, South America, Caribbean, Hawaiian, and Canada, and our Inuit friends to the way north, and our friends in Australia and New Zealand... Did I leave anyone out? Everyone is here. There's no place on earth where everyone is here like the USA.

We are all here. And that is why I think we are special.

Each heritage may have come on board at a different time, and each brings a deep history, but the one thing we have in common--this is our country.

I remember two students who spoke no English in 7th grade, one from Korea, one from Yugoslavia. They learned English within a year. Why? Because we were all over them helping them out. That's the school I remember. And I think that's how kids really are, mostly, giving in their instincts.

These kids in Parkland were no different. Look at them. They could be any school.

But what they knew was trouble amongst them, too. So did the parent, friend, school, and neighbor, too.

America missed the boat on Parkland. So did LE, so did the FBI. The FBI!!!! That's what floors me the most.

I can't even go to ironic because I grew up in the Cold War, but the FBI is the highest authority, and if they missed it, then there's something really wrong...

Actually, I think people would be surprised if they went to England, especially, I do not see the US as rich in culture.

There are so many interesting memories, One was signing a petition of a farmer right in the heart of London, He and other farmers were protesting the allowing of pigs from other countries. He had a giant pig right there by the statue of Winston Churchill. The statue is electrified because Churchill said he did not want a statue where pigeons could do their business.

Then there is speaker’s corner where people can tell everyone about what they think.

Just one humorous thing of many. My friend and I were going on the tube (subway in the US), and we were not sure which one to take. We were by where all of the lawyers are. We were discussing it and a well dressed man told us which one to take.

We commented on how nice the people are in London. He said, “Well, you have not met all of them.”

When I was in New York and would ask someone a question, the people ignored us as if we did not exist.

When we took a tour of a castle , the docents asked us what was wrong with America. They could not umderstand the guns, They are flabbergasted.

We took a bus tour around the Western part of England. We were with English speakers. People from Australia wondered what the deal is with Americans.

BTW, we were excited to stay in a hotel from the 1600’s. Welll, the floors were uneven with drops of a couple of inches. Our room was tiny with the sink practically in the bed. People were smaller in the olden days.

George Washington was over six feet tall. He must have been considered huge. Madame Tussaud was the size of a child

Just a little heads up to those who want to needle the European contingent here - having a go at our shooting desths isn’t really working, because, y’know, comparative statistics. Go for the terrorist attack numbers instead, yeah, especially the vehicle ones, we suffer with that and it spooks us a bit.

Personally, I won’t get into terrorist attacks in Europe because it would derail our gun debate thread, IMO.

Plus, I think it sophomoric to needle Americans, Europeans, Australians, etc because I’d like to believe that we are all vested in applying critical thinking skills in this thread for the betterment of mankind as a whole.

Every culture exists in the five boroughs of NYC. Most passed through here.

They shaped our future. For good and bad.

To know your deeper roots, you must travel... Denmark and Italy were a revelation to me... Even though I'm Welsh and Scottish and have never been there! Lol!!!

But for America? I do agree, go to England. If you what to know our deep history, it is there. We are tied to this great country in so many ways.

Every culture exists in the five boroughs of NYC. Most passed through here.

They shaped our future. For good and bad.

To know your deeper roots, you must travel... Denmark and Italy were a revelation to me... Even though I'm Welsh and Scottish and have never been there! Lol!!!

But for America? I do agree, go to England. If you what to know our deep history, it is there. We are tied to this great country in so many ways.

It is so funny. When we were there, a man said, “ Oh. You are from the colonies across the pond.”

The British museum has the best stuff as England conquered almost every country on earth and has items from those countries .

Some want their items returned.

It is so funny. When we were there, a man said, “ Oh. You are from the colonies across the pond.”

The British museum has the best stuff as England conquered almost every country on earth and has items from those countries .

Some want their items returned.

I was enjoying Christmas beer in a Danish pub in 1987, I was asked, so how do you you like "Roland Reagan"?

I realized then we might not be the center of the universe, after all...

Let's get the CDC back researching gun violence, then most of our conversations can be filled with data in addition to strong opinions. Maybe this is something all on both sides can agree upon.

This from the originator of the Dickie amendment.

WASHINGTON — Looking back, nearly 20 years later, Jay Dickey is apologetic.

He is gone from Congress, giving him space to reflect on his namesake amendment that, to this day, continues to define the rigid politics of gun policy. When he helped pass a restriction of federal funding for gun violence research in 1996, the goal wasn’t to be so suffocating, he insisted. But the measure was just that, dampening federal research for years and discouraging researchers from entering the field.

Now, as mass shootings pile up, including last week’s killing of nine at a community college in Oregon, Dickey admitted to carrying a sense of responsibility for progress not made.

“I wish we had started the proper research and kept it going all this time,” Dickey, an Arkansas Republican, told the Huffington Post in an interview. “I have regrets.”

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...esearch-amendment_us_561333d7e4b022a4ce5f45bf

And this from the Rand Corp. (https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...studies-gun-policies-violent-crime/383083002/) ....

"The RAND Corp., an influential think tank, created a research initiative called Gun Policy in America to provide a factual basis for the debate about gun policies to determine which work and which don’t.

But in reviewing available research, RAND found a lack of studies that documented laws reducing violence rather than just coinciding with the results. A review of thousands of studies yielded 62 with causal results about gun policies, only two-thirds of them in the last 15 years.

The reason: Federal funding for gun studies largely dried up 20 years ago. Annual spending bills in Congress since 1996 say no funding “at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention may be used to advocate or promote gun control.”

The shooting deaths of 17 people at a Florida high school on Feb. 14 rekindled the nationwide conversation about gun policies. President Trump, lawmakers in Congress and Florida Gov. Rick Scott and his state Legislature are each grappling over whether more restrictive laws are needed."

How many people here believe that a majority of criminals will follow any new gun control laws if they are enacted?

How many people here believe that a majority of criminals will follow any new gun control laws if they are enacted?

I would say no one believes that. I would also say nobody anywhere has ever said that.
What I do believe however, is that new gun control laws could make it harder for criminals to get guns.

How many people here believe that if certain guns or magazines are made illegal, but there is still a market for them, feel that they would either be illegally manufactured or smuggled into the United States?

I would say no one believes that. I would also say nobody anywhere has ever said that.
What I do believe however, is that new gun control laws could make it harder for criminals to get guns.
I would have to say that simply making something harder for a criminal to do isn't going to stop the most dangerous ones from getting and using a firearm. JMO

They won't. Just as murderers kill when it's illegal.Do you think we should make murder legal since murders happen anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper