Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Crime in 2017: Updated Analysis

Crime, Violence, and Murder Remain Near Historic Lows

This update to the Brennan Center’s September report finds that the overall crime rate, violent crime rate, and murder rate in the nation's 30 largest cities are estimated to decline this year. Its projections directly undercut claims of a nationwide crime wave.

https://www.brennancenter.org/analysis/crime-2017-updated-analysis

I haven't seen anyone claiming that there is a nationwide crime wave, but mass shootings do not seem to be decreasing.

Updated assessment of the Federal Assault Ban, 1994-2004:

Pg. 45
For example, AR traces went up 26% in 1998 while total traces wentup only 5% and AP traces declined 9%. In 2000, total and AP traces fell 3% and 16%,respectively, but AR traces remained flat. This is consistent with predictions derivedfrom the price and production analyses described above. But note that the post-ban ARcounts could be overstated because the data do not distinguish pre-ban from post-banversions of some popular AR-15 type rifles like the Colt Sporter and Bushmaster XM-15.(Also note that the percentage of traces for ARs did fall from 1.4% in 1992-1993 to 0.6%in 2001-2002.)

Folks think we had a Semi ban, for ten years, but we didn't. Though fully automatic weapons, which fire continuously when the trigger is held down, have been strictly regulated, since 1934.

That's as far as I've read thus far, but the report is interesting.

Updated Assessment of the Federal Assault Ban
https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/204431.pdf

Updated assessment of the Federal Assault Ban, 1994-2004:

Pg. 45
For example, AR traces went up 26% in 1998 while total traces wentup only 5% and AP traces declined 9%. In 2000, total and AP traces fell 3% and 16%,respectively, but AR traces remained flat. This is consistent with predictions derivedfrom the price and production analyses described above. But note that the post-ban ARcounts could be overstated because the data do not distinguish pre-ban from post-banversions of some popular AR-15 type rifles like the Colt Sporter and Bushmaster XM-15.(Also note that the percentage of traces for ARs did fall from 1.4% in 1992-1993 to 0.6%in 2001-2002.)

Folks think we had a Semi ban, for ten years, but we didn't. Though fully automatic weapons, which fire continuously when the trigger is held down, have been strictly regulated, since 1934.

That's as far as I've read thus far, but the report is interesting.

Updated Assessment of the Federal Assault Ban
https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/204431.pdf

I have to say that I only read part of that PDF, but no matter how many studies are done, the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and semi automatic guns kill lots of people quickly, requiring no skill from the shooter, just point and pull. What is the point of them, other than killing people fast?

Other nations treat sporting firearms differently than handguns and military style rifles. America is fixated on firearms designed to kill people. We are a nation scared to death of our fellow citizens. The combination of fear and loaded weapons kept in easy reach makes our nation less safe than our peers in the developed world.

Australia figured this out. They defined classes of firearms and have rules appropriate to each class of weapon. They recognize that a bolt action .22 rifle creates less risk to the public than an AR-15. That a traditional deer rifle is not as likely to be used for crime as a semi automatic pistol.

Does this meet your approval for what my spouse deems as his deer rifle? I've owned firearms since I was 19. My spouse is a collector. I'm closing in on the 1/2 century mark, and yes, I know that Australia is different, but thanks anyway, though. :)

The below, is a Marlin 336 Big Loop .30-30 Winchester Lever Action Rifle. it has a folding rear sight, a hardwood, pistol-grip stock and a single-stage trigger.

attachment.php

Attachments

• marlin.jpg
    marlin.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 34
Does this meet your approval for what my spouse deems as his deer rifle? I've owned firearms since I was 19. My spouse is a collector. I'm closing in on the 1/2 century mark, and yes, I know that Australia is different, but thanks anyway, though. :)

The below, is a Marlin 336 Big Loop .30-30 Winchester Lever Action Rifle. it has a folding rear sight, a hardwood, pistol-grip stock and a single-stage trigger.

attachment.php

BBM. How is Australia different? What is so different in the US to Australia? We share similar heritages and settlers from the same countries.

I have to say that I only read part of that PDF, but no matter how many studies are done, the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and semi automatic guns kill lots of people quickly, requiring no skill from the shooter, just point and pull. What is the point of them, other than killing people fast?

A theme throughout the study is the Large Capacity Magazines, and the millions that were left on the street after the ban. We have the same issue right now. There's huge magazines out there. Also, when they banned the semis, they did it in such a way, that the mfg could make a different semi, that shot the exact same way, it just may not have a place to put a bayonet. There' was a drop, but, they could have made a larger impact if they'd banned semis with detachable magazines.

As I said earlier, the bull is out of the barn. Can't put him back in, he's gotten too big. We now have to put a good, sturdy, nose ring on him. If that means grandfathering, and a buy back option, and then ban anything made after X date, with a detachable magazine that can hold more than 10 rounds, it might help.

Are Australia's gun laws the solution for the US?

Although Australia does have a long history of hunting and sport, there is no equivalent to America's Second Amendment right to bear arms here.

Another significant difference is the speed of government action. In 1996 John Howard managed to get all six Australian states to agree to and pass uniform sweeping gun control legislation in just 12 days.
It is hard to fathom the US government ever being able to get all 50 states to agree to something, let alone act that quickly.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-35048251

BBM. How is Australia different? What is so different in the US to Australia? We share similar heritages and settlers from the same countries.

Having been resident of both the U.S. & Aus. there are some very marked differences between the countries. America is much more patriotic & religious, the language is different accent wise depending where you live, the food is also different depending what state you live in. Voting in Aus. is mandatory and optional in the States. Americans drive on the other right side of the road and not the left.
America has more different cultures like Mexican & Hispanic, African Americans you don't see much of in Aus. either.
Gun laws in Aus. are much stricter than the U.S. And i could go on, but just a few differences for you.

Having been resident of both the U.S. & Aus. there are some very marked differences between the countries. America is much more patriotic & religious, the language is different accent wise depending where you live, the food is also different depending what state you live in. Voting in Aus. is mandatory and optional in the States. Americans drive on the other right side of the road and not the left.
America has more different cultures like Mexican & Hispanic, African Americans you don't see much of in Aus. either.
Gun laws in Aus. are much stricter than the U.S. And i could go on, but just a few differences for you.

Cosmetic differences. You may not see Mexicans or Hispanics in Australia, but we have many, many different nationalities in Australia. Where do you think Doner Kebabs come from? Patriotism is faked in the US. All talk about patriotism.

Cosmetic differences. You may not see Mexicans or Hispanics in Australia, but we have many, many different nationalities in Australia. Where do you think Doner Kebabs come from? Patriotism is faked in the US. All talk about patriotism.

Yes i realize that Aus. is multicultural, and depending on where you live you see more variety in the larger cities than in country areas. Asian & people from India too here.
The U.S. also has quite a different history than Australia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member