Gun Control Debate #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
(quote)
David Hogg has quickly established himself as among the most outspoken of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School students who were catapulted onto the national stage following the Feb. 14 mass shooting at the school. And he's proving to be especially adept at calling out national lawmakers on Twitter.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/parkland-student-david-hogg-spent-past-days-dismantling/story?id=54049825
But, seriously, if David Hogg turns out to be Satan, himself, how does that contribute to a gun control debate/
Are you suggesting he is the only outspoken human against the cult of the NRA and does that offend you?

What is anyone's point really? I am posting up information in reply to Hogg being a political mouthpiece for gun reforms or not.

We're here for ages.. we post a lot.. all the information is on this thread and all the other threads on the subject.
singling out one student for vitriol doesn't cut it, unless you have new information proving he is indeed a member of Hitler's youth from a source that is not alex jones et al?
Then you would need to go through several thousands of thousands of others, one by one.. and try proving they are miscreants and have no right to the first amendment...

It's a pointless exercise.

But, seriously, if David Hogg turns out to be Satan, himself, how does that contribute to a gun control debate/
Are you suggesting he is the only outspoken human against the cult of the NRA and does that offend you?

Perhaps you need to read back through the posts to put it in context.

We're here for ages.. we post a lot.. all the information is on this thread and all the other threads on the subject.
singling out one student for vitriol doesn't cut it, unless you have new information proving he is indeed a member of Hitler's youth from a source that is not alex jones et al?
Then you would need to go through several thousands of thousands of others, one by one.. and try proving they are miscreants and have no right to the first amendment...

It's a pointless exercise.

From your post #547/ And my replies with links to that.
SBM
why did you think Hogg should be reduced to a 'solitary mouthpiece' status?
Are you not familiar with the situation?

He's in the forefront of it all isn't he?
(quote)
What to say about last week's shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida? We asked for the opinion of senior David Hogg, the head of the student TV station there:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/florida-school-shooting-survivor-david-hogg-speak-out/

That makes him an outspoken student journalist and a victim/survivor of the Parkland massacre. It doesn't make him "the mouthpiece." Bless him, for realz, but you're giving him far too much credit. MOO

All we have to do is listen.

There are so many voices here.

There are so many victims and survivors with so much to say.

Lots more at link.

"39 Days": How Parkland shooting survivors turned grief into action

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/march-...w-parkland-students-turned-grief-into-action/

In the days after a former student at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shot and killed 17 people, CBS News began following a group of students who banded together to fight back. They set out to let the world know immediate change is needed to save lives. The documentary captures students' raw emotions as they grieve and work around-the-clock in an effort to change the gun laws of this country.

Journalists were also embedded with Andrew Pollack, whose daughter Meadow was killed in the shooting. Pollack's searing and powerful speech at the White House has made him one of the most visible of the victims' parents.

Matt Walker | Student: I thought it was a drill at first. So I pull out my phone quickly because I want to record what's going on. And it's just a coincidence when I started recording that he shot into our class.

Dylan Kramer | Student: I checked Nick's pulse. I couldn't reach Helena. She was farther away. But Nick was right next to me. So, I checked his pulse and so did Sam. …And then I saw Nick and Helena were dead.

Kaitlyn Jesionowski | Student: Yeah. And I was like – I told her – I was like "I checked their pulses." …I was holding Helena's hand. And my mom could hear all these things and I told her to hang up.

Matt Walker | Student: [group interview]: A lot of people have been telling me that the video really made people realize that this was a terrible massacre. It made people see what actually happened, And I feel like that pushed forward to a change.

Delaney Tarr | Student: It wasn't even like an intentional -- we all grouped together. It was – we all had these different things that we were saying and different things we were doing that people were responding to. And that was just kind of a natural push to get us to come together and for us to become, like, a united force.

Friend of Meadow: I actually grew up with Meadow, she was my best friend when I was little. Here's a picture of us actually.

Andrew Pollack | Meadow's father (Meadow was killed in the massacre): Her presence is keeping me strong, to fight this cause, to keep the schools – we just gotta make em safe. That's all I want.

Friend of Meadow [forming the letter M with her hands]: It's an M. It's an M for Meadow.

bumpity bumpity :scared:

bbm

He’s a white kid who has noticed the racial bias of police.

What’s the problem with that?

Speaking truth to power, imo.

Sure, his comments are abrasive. He can be abrasive. People can disagree with him.

But he’ll still speak truth to power. His POC peers are speaking out about the issue — Hogg is amplifying their voices.

Again, what’s the problem with that?

https://www.google.com/amp/www.orla...ite-privilege-to-work-20180323-story,amp.html

Parkland, race and the gun violence that goes overlooked
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/parkland-race-and-the-gun-violence-that-goes-overlooked

Parkland victim’s father: We will get gun reform in the U.S.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/parkland-victims-father-we-will-get-gun-reform-in-u-s

Children want to be able to go to school, church and the mall without fear of being shot, and they are going to demand it, says Fred Guttenberg, a vocal advocate for reforming the nation's gun laws since his 14-year-old daughter Jaime was killed in the deadly shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. Guttenberg joins Judy Woodruff to discuss the coming March For Our Lives and more.

Read the Full Transcript

Local grandmother of Parkland shooting victim speaks out

Ethel Guttenberg, others hold news conference

http://www.wlwt.com/article/live-lo...grandmother-speaks-about-gun-control/19037273

The Amberley Village grandmother of a 14-year-old shot and killed in the Parkland, Florida school shooting spoke at a news conference on gun control Thursday.

Speakers at the news conference called on U.S. Congressman Steve Chabot (R-OH) cut ties with the National Rifle Association and support stricter gun laws.

In addition to mourning the death of one of her eight grandkids, Ethel Guttenberg is vowing to fight lawmakers who receive support from the NRA.

Laura Ingraham loses advertisers after criticizing Parkland student David Hogg

David Hogg took on Fox News' Laura Ingraham and succeeded in getting advertisers to jump ship

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/co...iticizing-parkland-student-david-hogg-n861371

bbm

Good article...

A couple of things that sets American culture apart is capitalism, and the concept of freedom. Freedom is the heart of the constitution.

What I like about David Hogg is his willingness to go up against the Goliath of Capitalism. That these kids moved the giants of industry like Dicks, and Walmart, and now a bunch of advertisers in response to Fox News for taking it to a personal level, just shows me how in tune David Hogg really is in exactly how to retaliate.

So, of course, the NRA is freaking out. They and those they support have been put on notice by a bunch of teenagers!

He's a smart and fearless young man. And, while yes, he will reach a wider audience when he polishes up his language, you can't teach passion and conviction. And he has both.

I believe capitalism is at the center of many of our trials and tribulations, like mental health. While it affords soaring ingenuity, freedom, and power, it is also in its nature competitive, some may say violent, and most definitely not oriented to caring for a collective society.

It is at the root of our divide as a society. IMO.

There's no way this country would repeal the 2A because it's more about freedom, than guns.

So, David Hogg is on to something... The cultural morality and compassion of capitalism?

Last weekend, these kids stood up, spoke out, threw up, and continued on in front of hundreds of thousands of people. Some were positively presidential, some brought the harrowing grief, some brought other aspects of gun violence to the table, some were so young I couldn't believe it, and all held up the mirror to a country in pain. And, of course they were supported, shaperoned, and cheered on in their effort to peacefully gather and be heard.

Where do we go from here? Hard to know, but the ability of a young mind to coalesce, and turn an unspeakable tragedy into a voice of power has legs. I think they will find deeper meaning because the moral issues always transcend politics...
--jmo

The Parkland kids keep checking their privilege

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/24/poli...s-students-checking-privilege-trnd/index.html

"My school is about 25 percent black, but the way we're covered doesn't reflect that." Hogg said during an Axios event Friday.

"We recognize that Parkland received more attention because of its affluence," Jaclyn Corin, a survivor of the Parkland shooting, said during her speech. "But we share this stage today and forever with those communities who have always stared down the barrel of a gun."

Corin brought Yolanda Renee King, Martin Luther King Jr.'s granddaughter, to the stage as her special surprise guest.

Naomi Wadler, an elementary student from Virginia, said she was speaking on behalf of all of the "African-American girls whose stories don't make the front page of every national newspaper."

"I represent the African-American women who are victims of gun violence," she said. "Who are simply statistics instead of vibrant beautiful girls full of potential."

The 11-year-old continued: "I'm here to acknowledge their stories. To say they matter. To say their names. Because I can. And I was asked to be. For far too long, these names, these black girls and women, have been just numbers. I'm here to say never again for those girls too."

Many on Twitter noticed -- and praised -- the Parkland students for sharing their moment in the spotlight with people of color.

The Parkland Students Are Showing My Generation a Path Forward

If Emma González can face the world with her questions, so can I.

By Sophia Steinberg

https://www.thenation.com/article/the-parkland-students-are-showing-my-generation-a-path-forward/

Until late February, no major news source was giving a platform to Generation Z. Now, images of Emma González and her fellow survivors are ubiquitous.

A classmate of mine at Beacon High School, Etta Gold, thinks “most kids are scared of the bureaucracy because they don’t believe they can actually change the law,” but the teenagers from Parkland are “inspiring when it comes to enforcing change.”

I was impressed by their capacity to organize a national march, amid their own trauma and despite their age.

Beacon junior Sam Sheridan echoed Etta’s sentiments: “Seeing people your own age [speak] makes a difference.”

I wasn’t shocked to see that some of the few public figures who shared my views on privilege, gun control, and the president were high school victims of gun violence.

bbm

The Public Attacks on the Parkland Teens Are Getting Nastier

https://slate.com/news-and-politics...nd-students-david-hogg-and-emma-gonzalez.html

The longer the Parkland students continue their protests around gun control, the more they are being targeted by worsening insults, lies, and unhinged accusations. (snip)

Given that the Parkland student-activists are still working to encourage more town hall events and more demonstrations, it seems likely these teenagers will face evermore vile personal and public attacks in the months to come.

Although we cannot expect any personal responsibility from internet trolls, Americans should expect better from public officials, who have the power to lend legitimacy to the more disgraceful arguments circling around social media.

But in the instances above, the public responded by rejecting the hateful arguments, and proved we have the power to hold these politicians to account.

bbm

UNC STUDENTS, PARKLAND SURVIVORS RALLY AGAINST GUN VIOLENCE

http://chapelboro.com/news/unc/unc-students-parkland-survivors-rally-gun-violence

A large crowd of students, faculty and community members gathered on the steps in front of South Building on the UNC campus Thursday protesting gun violence.

Josh Romero is a first-year student at UNC who was one of the main organizers of Thursday’s rally.

“The fact that someone can walk right into the halls of any of our schools across the nation with a weapon of war that fires over 400 bullets per minute, that can decimate us all, is unacceptable,” Romero said. “Let us remind you that we are here for an education, not target practice.”

bbm

Jacksonville billboard slams NRA as 'terrorist organization'

The sign was paid for by a PAC led by a former Clinton White House staffer

https://www.news4jax.com/news/jacksonville-billboard-slams-nra-as-terrorist-organization

For those driving along Interstate 295 near Commonwealth Avenue and Interstate on the city's Westside, the signage is hard to miss -- "The NRA is a terrorist organization," the message reads.

attachment.php

Attachments

• nra2_1522426851747_11860843_ver1.0_640_360.jpg
    nra2_1522426851747_11860843_ver1.0_640_360.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 63
Alt-right internet trolls attack Parkland survivors

They’re survivors – and all the furious, uptight, alt-right keyboard warriors in America can’t take that away from them

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...rolls-attack-parkland-survivors-a8276276.html

And Parkland knows it too. They are the boots on the ground survivors. They may have the national spotlight, but they are, at their core, experiencing something much more intense. Imo

Sidebar: one of the most powerful images from last weekend was the Newtown massacre survivors cloaked in ghostly white veils. It beckoned in imagery how we missed the boat. Newtown is asking...

Sometimes we do have to come together as a collective society. Why does it take an attempted assassination to enact the Brady Bill?

After how many assassinations?

When I think back to my teenage years in the 60's/70's, a time of unspeakable tragedy, a cultural renaissance, we, in our efforts may not have stopped the war, but we changed and opened doors to a whole lot of other possibilities... --Both conservative and liberal.

We may have new tools in the toolbox, these days, but something fundamental has not changed, that is human nature has not changed. I only know their journey is long, and full of roadblocks!!!

SEVEN-YEAR-OLD WRITES LETTER TO PARKLAND, FLORIDA SURVIVOR

http://www.kezi.com/content/news/Seven-year-old-writes-letter-to-Parkland-Florida-survivor.html

She wrote, "I'm sorry people are being mean to you. I will never be mean to you. Thank you for being so strong, I hope I can be like you one day."

"I thought she'd be very sad that she saw that, so I wrote this letter to make her happy," Lyra said.

Lyra then asked her mom to give the letter to Gonzalez. So her mom sent it to a family member who then posted it on Twitter. The post received thousands of likes and re-tweets.

Gonzalez even responded and said, "I'm honored to know you even this small bit Miss Torres."

Another possible terrorist deported back to China-

He was here on an F-1 visa for students but had stopped attending any classes
His friends, neighbors and UCF staff noticed his recent strange and different behavior
He recently died his hair
He recently bought a new fancy car for $70,000 CASH
He was acquiring multiple assault rifles with scopes and tripods

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/ucf...vior-purchasing-high-powered-rifles/723685366

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper