Halyna Hutchins Shot With Prop Gun - Alec Baldwin indicted & Hannah Gutierrez-Reed charged, 2021 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Special prosecutor Morrissey vs Alec Baldwin will be TENSE! I believe AB will take the stand. He won't be able to resist. First question on cross - "Are you an A-lister?" "Did you feel like you were entitled to run the show and tell everbody what to do because you're Alec Baldwin?" Should be goooooooooood! With this prosecutor's attitude and his temperment.....

giphy.gif

Edited to add: Verdict already!!!! Wow. Has to be Guilty. I can’t imagine they would all agree on Not Guilty so fast!

Thanks! I almost missed it-I saw the part about question 20 and thought it would be a while.

Guilty !
Judge remands her to custody

SANTA FE, N.M. — A New Mexico jury found "Rust" armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed guilty of involuntary manslaughter and not guilty of tampering with evidence on Wednesday after deliberating for about two and a half hours.

Guilty !
Judge remands her to custody

SANTA FE, N.M. — A New Mexico jury found "Rust" armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed guilty of involuntary manslaughter and not guilty of tampering with evidence on Wednesday after deliberating for about two and a half hours.
I genuinely feel bad for her. I never got the impression that she ever did anything intentionally bad, or even negligently, but is a victim of inexperience more than anything else. By "inexperience", I don't just mean inexperience of the job but of the movie industry - and the people who run it - as a whole.

Judge was harsh to remand her. I didn’t expect that. Perhaps an indication of how sentencing will go. There will be no breaks for HGR. Verdict is as expected and correct IMO. I think the victim would be here today but for HGR’s actions. JMO

Ok, not surprised really, but I hope her sentence is short. While she may not have intended to do harm that day, we have to think of all the damage that was done. The loss of life, the loss of a mother for a lifetime, it was a terrible tragedy.

Prosecution's remarks about AB, per the news article above were very unprofessional. I have a feeling they'll come to regret it.

Judge was harsh to remand her. I didn’t expect that. Perhaps an indication of how sentencing will go. There will be no breaks for HGR. Verdict is as expected and correct IMO. I think the victim would be here today but for HGR’s actions. JMO
JMO, this whole situation has been a big show for the locals to criticize "Hollywood types", etc., etc.

If you have a hard time saying "no" to someone, you won't be able to enforce any safety rules on set.

And it's so incredibly easy to NOT MIX live rounds with dummy rounds.

No sympathy from me for the guilty sentence.

My feelings on this case are so torn, honestly. I've been following it closely from the start and I've been conflicted the entire time and I go back and forth constantly. That said, I don't think the verdict was incorrect. She didn't look surprised either.

But I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel bad for her at all. She was just in way over her head on that job.

SANTA FE, N.M. (Court TV) — A New Mexico jury deliberated for less than three hours before delivering a mixed verdict in the case of the embattled armorer in charge of weapons at the “Rust” movie set, where Alec Baldwin fatally shot one person and injured another.

Hannah Gutierrez, now 26, was found guilty on charges of involuntary manslaughter but acquitted on charges she tampered with evidence after the accidental shooting. Gutierrez, who had been released on bond during the trial, was immediately taken into custody following the conviction.

March 6, 2024

My feelings on this case are so torn, honestly. I've been following it closely from the start and I've been conflicted the entire time and I go back and forth constantly. That said, I don't think the verdict was incorrect. She didn't look surprised either.

But I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel bad for her at all. She was just in way over her head on that job.
Like my mom says…there are just some mistakes you can’t afford to make.

I really don’t feel that bad for her. She’ll get 18 months max, plus credit for time served. She may never work in Hollywood again as an armorer but at least she’s not dead.

Making sure live rounds aren’t on the set, that people aren’t shooting soda cans with them and leaving them in weapons used in the film doesn’t sound that difficult to me…but then again I’m not an armorer. She got the job of a lifetime via nepotism and she literally just needed to make sure no one died or was seriously injured. Mistakes happen, but this cost someone their life, and as a result a daughter, wife and mother is gone forever.

I’m not saying others weren’t also responsible for being the checks and balance in the situation, but if we don’t start holding people accountable this situation will happen again. And in true Hollywood fashion, the remake of The Crow is out in only a few months. Brandon Lee shouldn’t have died and neither should have Halyna Hutchins.

• Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, 26, was found guilty of involuntary manslaughter in the 2021 shooting death of Rust cinematographer Halyna Hutchins
  • She also faced a charge of tampering with evidence after prosecutors claimed she got rid of a bag of cocaine to prevent law enforcement from obtaining it
  • The verdict means that attention now turns to July when Alec Baldwin, 65, will go on trial in the same courthouse for involuntary manslaughter
1709769710903.jpeg
The jury were shown the video of Gutierrez-Reed’s interview by the sheriff Santa Fe, New Mexico, hours after the incident in October 2021

1709769786998.jpeg
Gutierrez-Reed was convicted of involuntary manslaughter and also faced a charge of tampering with evidence

1709769742316.jpeg
Dave Halls, the first assistant director on Rust, broke down in tears while telling the jury how he was the last person apart from Gutierrez-Reed to check the gun before giving it to Baldwin

1709769766061.jpeg
A firearms expert showed off to the jury a gun similar to that Baldwin used to shoot Hutchins

Last edited:
Very late to post these X postings , please scroll, if needed. Posting for the record.

STATE CLOSING ARUMENTS:

Kari Morrisey giving closing. Begins by showing a fullscreen headshot of Halyna Hutchins. "We end exactly as we began, in the pursuit of justice for Halyna Hutchins.”

Morrissey says HGR failed to maintain proper safety routinely. Says it was not one mistake, but constant, never-ending safety failures that resulted in the death of a human being and nearly another. In a picture being shown to the jury, a stuntman is holding a double barrel shotgun with the firearm pointed upward.

In a series of pictures, you see the gun pointed upward, pointing toward a child, pointing at a camera, and in one picture, a gun HGR is holding that is pointing at her face.

Looking at a transcription of an interview with HGR about a misfire on set: "I can't be responsible for every d---head, f---ing stunt guy that gets a hold of the gun and doesn't understand it's hot." Morrissey says that is exactly what her job responsibility is.

Morrissey showing a picture from 10/10/21 which shows HGR holding a box of rounds which Morrissey says are live. She says any time the jury sees photos of ammunition with a silver primer, then that is evidence of a live round.

Now looking at a photo from 10/15/21. We are looking at an enhanced photo of a holster and you can see ammo, including what Morrissey says is a live bullet. Another photo of a gun belt with four bullets, including one with a silver primer.

Morrissey: "Any suggestion by the defense that somehow the box of dummy rounds that HGR was using was swapped out for something different is absolute nonsense.”

Hutchins lethal injuries: Blood loss from the wound and injury to the lung. "That bullet went into her body, went through her rib, severed her spinal cord, punctured her lung, came out the back of her shoulder and a few hours later, Ms. Gutierrez is... worried about her career.”

State has wrapped it's closing arguments. We are taking a brief bathroom break. Back in 15 minutes.

DEFENSE CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Delivered by Jason Bowles. Says it is extremely important that the government rule out every reasonable doubt. Sarah Zachary threw away rounds after the shooting, Bowles says. Says that is reasonable doubt to the accuracy of the prosecutions argument

Bowles pointing to OSHA report that showed that production was responsible for various safety concerns and flaws on set. Did not respond to negligent discharges, did not create more safety meetings and opportunities, did not allow time for cleaning of weapons.

Bowles focusing in on two particular standards the jury must meet in order to find HGR guilty:

-HGR acted with a willful disregard for the safety of others.
-HGR's act caused the death of Halyna Hutchins

Final points for defense:

-Hannah could not anticipate what Baldwin would do when he went off script
-Management was responsible for safety failures
-Zero evidence of cocaine
-Hannah is a scape goat for all failures

"Justice for Halyna does not mean injustice for Hannah.
IT does not mean they get to steamroll her and get to spin their version of facts and call it truth. Because that's not truth.”

Defense has finished closing arguments.

State now gets to reply: Morrissey is speaking to the jury once again. She says she knows that Hannah didn't know there was a live round on set. Says if she knew, she wouldn't be charged with involuntary manslaughter, she'd be charged with murder.

She didn't know there were live rounds on set because of her own negligence, recklessness, willful disregard for the safety of other people, Morrissey says. "It is shocking for Mr. Bowles to come up to this podium and say it wasn't forseeable that Alec Baldwin would go off script.”

Morrissey: "It is her job to say to an A-list actor, 'hey, you can't behave that way with those firearms.' That is her job. That is what they pay her for. That is the job that she applied for. That is the job that she accepted.”

Morrissey says she and law enforcement have reviewed thousands of photos and videos, interviewing many people the jury never even heard from. To the jury: "You have absolutely everything you need.”

"This is 100% forseeable. HGR is not a scapegoat, she is not being treated as a scapegoat. Mr. Halls was charged criminally... Mr. Baldwin has been indicted....she is not being scapegoated, she is being treated like everyone else. She is not being given a break because she is a woman or because she is young because that's not how the law works.”

Morrissey trying to clarify reasonable doubt to the jury. Does not have to prove this case beyond absolute doubt. "When you are back there talking about doubt, make sure its a reasonable one under these circumstances.”

State thanks the jury once again and asks them to bring justice to Halyna Hutchins. State has closed.

Jury will now begin deliberations.

@alcaprari23

If you have a hard time saying "no" to someone, you won't be able to enforce any safety rules on set.

And it's so incredibly easy to NOT MIX live rounds with dummy rounds.

No sympathy from me for the guilty sentence.
I've looked at it from the perspective of a movie being begun just as Hollywood started back to work after COVID19 lockdown.

There were probably a lot of distractions, worry about crew and actors getting sick, shutting down production, etc.
Mix in an inexperienced armorer who was over-confident and there you go.

New Mexico should forget about attracting any future movies to be filmed there. In a state where the court's local weapons experts wave around guns in the courtroom like crazy....

TELEMMGLPICT000369442719_17097282591450_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqOVBjXSDGg7SWtOuuaEX0p_dXd5R3yD5TdZ2kKWY8Tt0.jpeg

Last edited:
Hannah Gutierrez-Reed leaves the courtroom following closing arguments. Jury is now officially deliberating.

Jury has a question about instruction 20 language, 2nd paragraph, highlighted portion.The attorney teams + Judge Sommer decided that there wasn't anything they could do to help the jury decipher that phrase in the paragraph. The jury is on its own. Back to jury deliberations.

1709770071701.png

I'm told the jury has not reached a verdict, but has a question. So I am heading back into the courtroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinCaseBreakGlass