Halyna Hutchins Shot With Prop Gun - Alec Baldwin indicted & Hannah Gutierrez-Reed charged, 2021 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I don't know if you have experience in LE, but this is not the usual sequence of events when something is turned over to LE. An example would be someone finds money buried in a backyard and years ago and a convicted bank robber was arrested out of that house. When that call is dispatched or someone shows up at LE's location, a case number is generated, a basic report of found property (or some other title) is issued and it's documented and put into evidence.
Someone would never send it out for forensics without these first steps.
The report/opinion of the witness in this case, does not allow for the ammo being placed into evidence under the death investigation case number. Whoever initially received it and put it into evidence would not have been able to instantly determine if it was relevant and would not have even had the ability to computer access/add information to an ongoing homicide investigation. Police reports can be cross referenced to other case numbers.
I'm not commenting on the misconduct in the trial, just want to clarify that the separate case number use for the surrendered ammo, in my experience, is correct and not suspicious. I'm sure the defense is also aware and knows how to see the date of the issuance of the case number. MOO
I can understand what you're explaining here.
It makes sense that a new case # was derived for these bullets because they were handed in separately from LE's own direct investigation, after the fact, and after the trial was either in progress or finished.
What I find disturbing is that LE didn't have these bullets tested, dismissed them as being irrelevant, and/or failed to disclose them to the defense at some point.

Well said. Despite my opinion, with circumstantial supporting evidence, that the rounds either had nothing to do with the shooting or were an effort to fake exculpatory evidence, the cops screwed up, to put it mildly, bigly.

What's funny as hell is that AB lawyers probably knew about these rounds for months and just waited until the right moment to pull the kind of boss move that lawyers have wet dreams about. I don't care for AB lead lawyer, but I can't hate on him for doing that. It was beautiful, from a legal perspective.
From the way the defense lawyer was asking questions of Poppel, he seemed to be like a shark circling its prey from the beginning. I imagine Teske got ahold of ABs defense team to share his information with them. IMO.

DBM - question already answered

Last edited:
I am beginning to wonder if the press release by Mr. Hutchins’ lawyer about pursuing justice is indicating they will consider an appeal of the criminal charge dismissal to a higher court.

jmo
Wouldn’t such an appeal have to come from the state in an attempt to be able to retry the case? I don’t see that happening.

I suspect the comment from the Hutchins attorney about pursing justice was more directed at civil action rather than criminal.

I don't know if you have experience in LE, but this is not the usual sequence of events when something is turned over to LE. An example would be someone finds money buried in a backyard and years ago and a convicted bank robber was arrested out of that house. When that call is dispatched or someone shows up at LE's location, a case number is generated, a basic report of found property (or some other title) is issued and it's documented and put into evidence.
The report/opinion of the witness in this case, does not allow for the ammo being placed into evidence under the death investigation case number. Whoever initially received it and put it into evidence would not have been able to instantly determine if it was relevant and would not have even had the ability to computer access/add information to an ongoing homicide investigation. Police reports can be cross referenced to other case numbers.
I'm not commenting on the misconduct in the trial, just want to clarify that the separate case number use for the surrendered ammo, in my experience, is correct and not suspicious. I'm sure the defense is also aware and knows how to see the date of the issuance of the case number. MOO
That makes perfect sense to me. But what doesn’t make sense is that if it is SOP for a separate case number to be assigned, why did KM say in her testimony that she had no idea it would be assigned a different case number? Would she not know SOP?

I think KM went into CMA mode and then like a bull in a china cabinet she did more damage trying to get out of the mess she created and then backed herself into a corner and even perjured herself on the stand.

Wouldn’t such an appeal have to come from the state in an attempt to be able to retry the case? I don’t see that happening.

I suspect the comment from the Hutchins attorney about pursing justice was more directed at civil action rather than criminal.
Agree. I was considering that the HH family might push the state to appeal the criminal dismissal, as the attorney was slightly ambiguous in his statement where he says they will continue to seek justice and work to present evidence to a jury. Most likely he meant in a civil action; however, Hutchins’ husband and son already settled a wrongful death suit against Baldwin and the film’s producers.

I can't say I agree with this analogy. This isn't a case where the relationship of the ammo to the Rust shooting was in question, like in your example of the found money.

Both Hancock and Morrissey had previously had conversations with Troy Teske. They knew exactly who he was. They also knew all about this cache of ammo that he was holding onto. When he walked into the precinct, he explicitly told them that this was a part of Rust. According to Morrissey, she even considered having the local authorities pick it from Teske and send it to Santa Fe. The only reason she didn't do that was because she didn't think the ammo matched the live rounds from the Rust set. (Erroneously, as we know now.) Presumably, if she had known the rounds were the same, she would have had the ammo brought in to be examined. So, how can they now claim that they didn't know if the ammo was part of the Rust case? Of course they knew it was.

And just pick up on something you said: "Police reports can be cross referenced to other case numbers."
So why wasn't this done? Emily D. Baker mentioned that with case management systems, there's always a way to link different cases. So for example, if two murders have the same M.O. they may get different case numbers, but they're linked so the cops can see if there's any relationships between them. Cross-indexing is the whole point of using computer systems. So, even if this ammo was given a separate case number, why wasn't it linked to Rust when the cops were literally told that this was a part of Rust? There's no legitimate reason for there not to be. Unless they wanted to bury the evidence.

I sincerely hope that AB is thankful that the judge dismissed the case. And that he does not go out on a tour of talk shows, crowing about his triumph. Halyna Hutchins is still dead, and he did, in fact kill her.

I can't say I agree with this analogy. This isn't a case where the relationship of the ammo to the Rust shooting was in question, like in your example of the found money.

....Unless they wanted to bury the evidence.
Why, why, why would they want to bury this evidence?
It doesn't seem (to me) to cut in any direction relative to HGR or AB.
Either way, HGR was negligent and AB pulled the trigger using the gun in a cavalier manner, no matter what was loaded and who sourced it.
Why wasn't the ammo origin a separate case, if it shed light on who may have introduced it to the set?
AB was tried as the negligent actor, and not the negligent producer, right? (I see the argument that if the ammo came onto the set via a malevolent actor, then the producer cannot be held accountable)
BTW, doesn't the AZ ammo circle back to Seth Kinney?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maylon
Back