Hannah Graham: The Search

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please, is there a link to where it was stated that JM 'liked' fishing? Or camping?
IMHO the tent in Texas was born out of necessity...
Chief said it during one of the last pressers. I think I transcribed it downstairs.

HOW LONG DOES IT USUALLY TAKE TO RUN DNA???

Seems like we'd know if his matched the DNA found on Morgan's shirt and the DNA found beneath the Fairfax girl's nails???

WHAT IS TAKING SO LONG?

Not yelling in anger, but I'm hoping my post isn't looked over because I really want an answer;)
We may not know for a long time, LE on the other hand probably has initial results back already.

Myself, I believe that the abduction charge could stand even without evidence that HG was ever in the car. (Kind of a long shot given attitudes about consent, but hear me out.)

1. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to infer from JLM's behavior earlier in the night that he was looking to "get some."
2. JLM left a bar with HG, with whom he had no previous relationship history, and who was clearly too intoxicated to form consent to sexual activity with a stranger.

Those two facts alone indicate abduction with intent to molest, and the fact that HG disappeared right after that further supports the suspicion of intent to molest and indicates a likelihood that some sort of molestation took place. But again, the abduction with intent is right there in front of our eyes without any further evidence at all.

I know I'll hear lots of awkward protestations about how half the people who leave college bars could be arrested for the same thing, but the reality is that the public view of consent is, thankfully, starting to change. If more people teach our kids that the standard for consent must be not merely an absence of "no" but an enthusiastic (and sober enough) "yes!", our kids would be happier, healthier and far less traumatized by their teen and college years.

It will be interesting to see what happens with this charge if no further evidence is found. I have deliberately avoided forming any particular opinion about the people involved in this case but part of me is very pleased that Longo rolled it out there. It really speaks to his commitment to a more modern way of looking at police work.

(In my perfect world, HG would emerge alive and JLM would be prosecuted on the abduction/intent charge even if it turns out that HG fought him off before anything "happened" and then immediately left to go camping alone for two weeks in a place with no phone/internet access.... JLM would see the error of his ways, publicly apologize to HG and would work out his sentence by touring colleges with the message that only "yes" means "yes." As a result of JLM's efforts, the incidence of rape on college campuses would drop by 40%, and by 15% nationwide. It all comes full-circle when HG, who is by that time Secretary General of the UN, invites JLM to speak to the General Assembly and he receives a standing ovation. Ain't gonna happen but you have to admit it's quite a scenario. :^)

I know this is the search forum, not the soapbox forum--but I guess my overall point is that if a different understanding of the meaning of consent were anchored in our culture, we might not be searching for HG at all.

Though LE has outright said that Hannah was heavily intoxicated, proving that in a court of law may be a whole other thing. And proving that he never met her before, when there is a witness who outright says he thought they knew each other is still another.

Yes, I agree with you in your theory, and I think it's likely correct, and LE probably feels the same. But in a court of law with innocence the presumption and possible those on the jury who have picked up girls or feel it's just fine to do so,...well, I don't think this will stick without more proof.

At this point, it's entirely possible that he took Hannah somewhere, made moves and when she said, "no", let her out of the car as she might have demanded. And the next person to pick her up could be the perp. Or she slipped and fell somewhere and got hurt. A lot of possibilities.

This sort of thing, taking sexual advantage of women, has been happening, and college campuses have been particularly aggressive in the last two years or so to put an end to "date rape". Whether it makes a huge difference, i don't know.

Three years ago, a coed, Lauren Spierer disappeared after walking away in less than optimal condition in the wee hours of the morning, or so the last person linked to her says. Even while searching for her, when the news spotlight was on her case, Lauren's mother noted that there were still young women walking alone at that time in the morning, in the very area where Lauren was last reported. Very discouraging. And three years later, a bunch of college kids let a drunk Hannah walk out alone in the dark to whatever happened to her. They knew she was drunk, they knew it was late, but they let her go. Also, there has been some evidence that she was in contact with some of them, and they knew she was lost. Didn't do a thing. You bet those "friends" are lying low right now. Offered up drink to her (and others) underage, let her leave drunk and alone at night, knew she was lost and didn't do anything.

Seems like we'd know if his matched the DNA found on Morgan's shirt and the DNA found beneath the Fairfax girl's nails???

WHAT IS TAKING SO LONG?

Not yelling in anger, but I'm hoping my post isn't looked over because I really want an answer;)

It's going to take a while. THe DNA that needs to be used for a definitive match and as evidence has to be taken directly from JM, is what I understand, and that has just been done. Doubt there will be a super rush put on the matches to old cases, as the big deal now is to link him with Hannah, in hopes of finding her. Morgan's parent's have even said so. I don't remember the time line for results of getting result back, but it was a matter of weeks, not days. The forensic evidence from the car was given special priority and just got back.

JM is in custody now and is not going anywhere for a while. We'll find out if his DNA matches any older unsolved cases in due time.

Though LE has outright said that Hannah was heavily intoxicated, proving that in a court of law may be a whole other thing. And proving that he never met her before, when there is a witness who outright says he thought they knew each other is still another.

Yes, I agree with you in your theory, and I think it's likely correct, and LE probably feels the same. But in a court of law with innocence the presumption and possible those on the jury who have picked up girls or feel it's just fine to do so,...well, I don't think this will stick without more proof.

At this point, it's entirely possible that he took Hannah somewhere, made moves and when she said, "no", let her out of the car as she might have demanded. And the next person to pick her up could be the perp. Or she slipped and fell somewhere and got hurt. A lot of possibilities.

This sort of thing, taking sexual advantage of women, has been happening, and college campuses have been particularly aggressive in the last two years or so to put an end to "date rape". Whether it makes a huge difference, i don't know.

Three years ago, a coed, Lauren Spierer disappeared after walking away in less than optimal condition in the wee hours of the morning, or so the last person linked to her says. Even while searching for her, when the news spotlight was on her case, Lauren's mother noted that there were still young women walking alone at that time in the morning, in the very area where Lauren was last reported. Very discouraging. And three years later, a bunch of college kids let a drunk Hannah walk out alone in the dark to whatever happened to her. They knew she was drunk, they knew it was late, but they let her go. Also, there has been some evidence that she was in contact with some of them, and they knew she was lost. Didn't do a thing. You bet those "friends" are lying low right now. Offered up drink to her (and others) underage, let her leave drunk and alone at night, knew she was lost and didn't do anything.

The similarities in many of these cases is "girl is alone at night". Therefore, I'm trying to teach my daughters NEVER walk or bike alone at night. NEVER NEVER NEVER. No I don't blame the victims, but we can be pretty sure that many of them would be living their lives if they would not have been alone at night.

Mikey, Morgan, Hannah, the Fairfax girl, Britanee and many many more - they were all alone at night.

I'm also teaching them to not allow their friends to be alone at night. BUDDY SYSTEM!!!! Poor Morgan, to have video of her being turned away at several entrances trying to get back to her friends :(

WHAT IS TAKING SO LONG?

We may not know for a long time, LE on the other hand probably has initial results back already.

The similarities in many of these cases is "girl is alone at night". Therefore, I'm trying to teach my daughters NEVER walk or bike alone at night. NEVER NEVER NEVER. No I don't blame the victims, but we can be pretty sure that many of them would be living their lives if they would not have been alone at night.

Mikey, Morgan, Hannah, the Fairfax girl, Britanee and many many more - they were all alone at night.

I'm also teaching them to not allow their friends to be alone at night. BUDDY SYSTEM!!!! Poor Morgan, to have video of her being turned away at several entrances trying to get back to her friends :(

I agree. Not just for females either. I know of several cases, including one involving the son of a woman I've long known where young men have died because they were alone and not in their full capacities. Had they been with someone, there would have been a chance that intervention occurred.

A few years ago, the only son of a CMU professor and wife died coming home alone, drunk from a party in Gambier, Ohi. Kenyon College student. Another young man visiting a college, left a party alone, and his body was found. Both young men clearly were drinking, taking drugs. Another young college student found dead at the bottom of a stairwell and had been lying there for days, also with substances in body, indicating he was drunk or otherwsie out of it. My friend's son hit his head very hard, walking around drunk, managed to make it to a party, lay down on a sofa there and died. Not till the autopsy was the head injury discovered. How he sustained it, no info as he had walked, drunk as many were willing to say, from one party to another at some crazy time in the morning. All of these disappearances occurred after midnight, by the way. All involved alcohol and/or recreational drugs.

I had said in a post a few days ago, that when and where I went to college (and I lived in the area for 10 years thereafter), not a single report of that sort. Noone, not one person, died or disappeared off alone at night. Even the worst of the group would walk a drunk home. Never saw a lone confused student. Our college was in an area that bordered some dicey neighborhoods, and yes, things happened, but not like this.

Absoutely, BUDDY SYSTEM.

WHAT IS TAKING SO LONG?

I honestly don't.know, as I've.seen it said it can take 6 months...but with the Jenise Wright case, didnt it take about 24 hours with the bucchal swab on her perp?
I get the sense that the DNA is back and they might know there is a connection to MH (since they publicly dismissed a connection to Alexis, but nothing was said about MH) but want that information private for investigation purposes. Just my opinion.

Should searchers also be looking for cigarette butts if in fact JM is a smoker?
Wonder what brand he bought?
Indeed, how and why did JM pick this far off spot and why was he just sitting out there in a tent on the beach, sticking out like a sore thumb?

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/local/jesse-matthew-arrest-shocks-texas-community/28256430
"Bachman said Matthew bought cigarettes and a honey bun from the store.

Residents in the area are shocked that Matthew chose Gilchrist – a small community of fishermen and raised cabins – to hide.

"This was totally a shock to the community. It was to me that this guy even found his way down here. It's a remote part of the country, so go figure, I don't know,” said Warren Adams."
bbm.

OK, I have a question, can the detectives lie to him, say about the DNA when they talk to him? Just wondered if they would use something as a bargaining tool to find out where Hannah is.

OK, I have a question, can the detectives lie to him, say about the DNA when they talk to him? Just wondered if they would use something as a bargaining tool to find out where Hannah is.

BBM. Yes, of course they CAN lie to him. But he has an attorney who has likely told him not to say a word to LE without attorney present. And I don't think LE would play that game with that lawyer who has served as CA for several terms and knows how things work. He's going to demand every bit of evidence LE has on his client, that he is entitled to get.

Does anyone know what the status of the current search is? Wondering where they are searching today, and if we will hear from LE again soon...perhaps another presser on Monday?

Also, when is JMs court date? Oct 3?

I just realized that there's a thread for Hannah Graham Search, and another thread for Hannah Graham Search and Rescue. What is the difference?

I just realized that there's a thread for Hannah Graham Search, and another thread for Hannah Graham Search and Rescue. What is the difference?
Sarx gave a good answer here.

Yep, we're staring at maps down there! The threads are different, in case anyone is confused. This thread is to talk about the past and present searches for Hannah, the thread in the basement is for looking at possible search locations and plotting them on maps. Case anyone was wondering!

Does anyone know what the status of the current search is? Wondering where they are searching today, and if we will hear from LE again soon...perhaps another presser on Monday?

Also, when is JMs court date? Oct 3?
The search team of 20 men searches daily. No breaking news from them today.:fence:

Just search: North Garden, VA Registered Sex Offenders

But don't post his name or photo here. i'm not sure it's ok to do that.
RSO's in the vicinity of a crime or disappearance can be linked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LCleveland