Harvard Professor Arrested--Gates Black in America

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Well, I assume you formed your opinion from comments made by posters you think have this notion. Would you mind pointing out these comments? What comments have been made suggesting a poster/s on the thread have the notion that "police should be above reproach by anyone". I'm curious because I don't know anyone (police officers included)that have that notion.

Well, I assume you formed your opinion from comments made by posters you think have this notion. Would you mind pointing out these comments? What comments have been made suggesting a poster/s on the thread have the notion that "police should be above reproach by anyone". I'm curious because I don't know anyone (police officers included)that have that notion.

Oh, please. You've read the same posts I have and you know exactly what I'm talking about. You may not agree with my conclusion, but you certainly understand it.

Perhaps I spoke too broadly. Maybe I should have said "some posters seem to believe police are above reproach whenever they deal with African-American citizens." Such a statement would explain the knee-jerk defense of Sgt. Crowley and the rush to call Prof. Gates "trailer trash," etc., and the implication that the professor represents all blacks and their "phony" charges of racial bias.

But since I can't look into anyone's heart, I'm not prepared to accuse anyone of racism (not even Sgt. Crowley).

As much as I love Nova, he is not the topic of discussion here :)

As much as I love Nova, he is not the topic of discussion here :)

JBean, you just brought my narcisstic view of the world crashing down around me. Does this mean I'm not the topic of discussion in all the other threads as well?

I assume you'll chip in for what will be years and years of therapy. :boohoo:

JBean, you just brought my narcisstic view of the world crashing down around me. Does this mean I'm not the topic of discussion in all the other threads as well?

I assume you'll chip in for what will be years and years of therapy. :boohoo:

Don't worry nova! It IS all about you. Btw one of boys is moving to PS so I will be there for sure now ;)

Don't worry nova! It IS all about you. Btw one of boys is moving to PS so I will be there for sure now ;)

I hope he's bringing his job with him! Our unemployment rate rivals that of Detroit!

I believe you have my contact info. If he needs anything, have him call.

And of course I look forward to seeing you...

Thanks for posting that angelmom That article stands alone as a perfect commentary on this whole mess. I've been following this thread and have wanted to articulate my comments and have been unable to sum up how I feel about it. But this article actually makes my point for me. Mistakes happen. Attitude and personal awareness are our own responsibility and can make all the difference in life. Even when life isn't fair.

Discussion point number one: Bob Dylan does not belong to a subsection of citizens who have a well-documented history of being harrassed and/or harmed by the police for simply belonging to said subsection. How might this non-history have played into Dylan's reaction as compared to Gates reaction?

Discussion point number two: Bob Dylan was sent on his merry way after producing ID to the police that proved he was, in fact, Bob Dylan.

Extra credit awarded for fully fleshing out a theory regarding how the young female police officer may have reacted had Bob Dylan behaved like an angry, pompous jackass. (it's only a theory of course - we'll never know how she would have responded in the face of the completely different set of circumstances Crowley encountered, but this professor is genuinely interested in any and all well-outlined guesses!)

Discussion point number one: Bob Dylan does not belong to a subsection of citizens who have a well-documented history of being harrassed and/or harmed by the police for simply belonging to said subsection. How might this non-history have played into Dylan's reaction as compared to Gates reaction?

Discussion point number two: Bob Dylan was sent on his merry way after producing ID to the police that proved he was, in fact, Bob Dylan.

Extra credit awarded for fully fleshing out a theory regarding how the young female police officer may have reacted had Bob Dylan behaved like an angry, pompous jackass. (it's only a theory of course - we'll never know how she would have responded in the face of the completely different set of circumstances Crowley encountered, but this professor is genuinely interested in any and all well-outlined guesses!)

I'm not sure I agree on either point.

Point one: Bob is/was certainly a member of the hippie class, routinely rousted and harassed by LE in his day.

Point two: Bob was let go AFTER he was put in the back of a police car and removed from the scene when the officer did not recognize him or believe him. He was also followed by the suspicious and frightened family whose yard he was in. I can only imagine what the family and officer would have done had he been screaming insults refusing to comply with the officer's requests.

And, I'd like to add, Bob was polite, cooperative, and understanding of this entire episode even though 1) he is genuinely famous and might expect to be recognized, unlike Professor Gates who merely demands it; 2) he wasn't committing any possible crime, such as breaking into a home; and 3) it was certainly on the news that Bob was in town, while not even Professor Gates's neighbor recognized him or knew that he was arriving home from a trip that day.

Extra credit: do you think Bob would be more offended by being considered a trespasser or being called "an old man" in the 911 call? Just asking.

Point one: Bob is/was certainly a member of the hippie class, routinely rousted and harassed by LE in his day.

Point two: Bob was let go AFTER he was put in the back of a police car and removed from the scene when the officer did not recognize him or believe him. He was also followed by the suspicious and frightened family whose yard he was in. I can only imagine what the family and officer would have done had he been screaming insults refusing to comply with the officer's requests.

And, I'd like to add, Bob was polite, cooperative, and understanding of this entire episode even though 1) he is genuinely famous and might expect to be recognized, unlike Professor Gates who merely demands it; 2) he wasn't committing any possible crime, such as breaking into a home; and 3) it was certainly on the news that Bob was in town, while not even Professor Gates's neighbor recognized him or knew that he was arriving home from a trip that day.

Extra credit: do you think Bob would be more offended by being considered a trespasser or being called "an old man" in the 911 call? Just asking.

I do agree that lots of different points are raised in the compare and contrast exercise. They are all valid, but we may not agree with them all. Certainly I agree that Bob handled the incident much more calmly and it's interesting to consider the whys of that.

While I don't consider the two incidents to be perfectly matched, I do think looking at them side by side is worthy of discussion.

Hippies did indeed experience some class harassment back in the day! Bob Dylan is no longer a hippie. An argument could perhaps be made that musicians are harassed by police (I won't make it) and Dylan is certainly a musician.

I don't of course much about Dylan as a person (and I absolutely wouldn't recognize him if he fell over at my feet), but I'd like to think that he didn't mind being identified as a trespasser OR as an old man in the 911 call!

Great post, angelmom.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmccastor
Back