DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

dotr

Reaction score
Victim's mother pleads for help in 34-year-old cold case

helen-correa-1_31094733_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

Aug 29 2018
HONOLULU (KHON2) - Thirty-four years ago, Helen Correa was found dead in a sugar cane field in Kunia.

On Wednesday, her mother, Roby Correa, asked for anyone who may know something about the case to speak out.

"I would like to see the person come forward, and I would just like to know why he felt he needed to kill her," said Correa.

Helen Correa's body was found on Oct. 8, 1984. The 22-year-old had been strangled. While the police looked into many persons of interest, her killer had not been caught."

rbbm.
New clues in brutal murder 34 years ago offers family hope for closure
HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) -

"Thirty-four years ago, Helen Correa's body was found partially submerged in a drainage canal in Kunia.
The 22-year-old hadn't returned home the night before. Investigators said she'd been fatally strangled, but her killer was never found.

Now, Honolulu police hope new clues will solve the cold case."

"Correa was last seen alive by her friends on Oct. 7, 1984.

She'd been hanging out with friends, and was headed home, crossing Farrington Highway in Waipahu.

The following day, an Oahu Sugar Company worker opened an irrigation gate and saw Correa's body in a ditch.

Know anything about the case? Head to HPD's cold case website or call 955-8300."

"This year, Honolulu police told her that they were going to re-open her daughter's case to try to solve it through new DNA testing and the re-examining of polygraph tests. They're hoping people come forward with new information.

"We're going to be looking with fresh eyes," homicide detective Lt. Deena Thoemmes said."

I want to point out that her death is right before the Honolulu Strangler attacks. The Honolulu strangler is an unknown serial killer that killed 5 women between 1985-1986 and dumped most of their bodies in the Keehi Lagoon. I can't figure out how far Kunia is from Keehi but I feel it is possible since this would be his earliest known attack and he hadn't yet found his spot. Also, she is in his age range and the circumstances of her disappearance, disappearing while walking home, is almost identical to the strangler's known victims.

I'll link the wiki page
Honolulu Strangler - Wikipedia

Original clipping from the Honolulu Star Bulletin published on July 1st 1986
OCT. 9 Helen Correa, 22, of Ewa Beach was strangled and left in an irrigation ditch in a remote Kunia canefield. She was last seen at a bus stop near the Waipahu GEM Store.

Attachments

• img.jpeg
    img.jpeg
    100.7 KB · Views: 6
I want to point out that her death is right before the Honolulu Strangler attacks. The Honolulu strangler is an unknown serial killer that killed 5 women between 1985-1986 and dumped most of their bodies in the Keehi Lagoon. I can't figure out how far Kunia is from Keehi but I feel it is possible since this would be his earliest known attack and he hadn't yet found his spot. Also, she is in his age range and the circumstances of her disappearance, disappearing while walking home, is almost identical to the strangler's known victims.

I'll link the wiki page
Honolulu Strangler - Wikipedia

I live on Oahu so I can tell you that Kunia is about 15 miles away from keehi lagoon and it takes about 15 minutes to drive on the freeway. The thing is Kunia is super close to waipahu where Helen Correa was last seen. Also very close to where the medeiros victim of the strangler was found. The Honolulu strangler suspect, Howard Gay, lived in Ewa beach Which is where Helen lived. Just south of Waipahu Perhaps she knew him from somewhere? Church maybe? That would explain why she would get in his vehicle. Also it is suspected that the strangler May have impersonated an officer (military or police perhaps) another reason she may have trusted him. I think you are right. I think she was an early victim of the strangler before his “signature” was perfected.

I live on Oahu so I can tell you that Kunia is about 15 miles away from keehi lagoon and it takes about 15 minutes to drive on the freeway. The thing is Kunia is super close to waipahu where Helen Correa was last seen. Also very close to where the medeiros victim of the strangler was found. The Honolulu strangler suspect, Howard Gay, lived in Ewa beach Which is where Helen lived. Just south of Waipahu Perhaps she knew him from somewhere? Church maybe? That would explain why she would get in his vehicle. Also it is suspected that the strangler May have impersonated an officer (military or police perhaps) another reason she may have trusted him. I think you are right. I think she was an early victim of the strangler before his “signature” was perfected.
Welcome to Ws Nanya, thanks for the helpful tidbits!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Binx005
Back