Netherlands Help needed for identification of a specific logo in relation to a Dutch cold case murder/unidentified woman.

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think it's a home embroidered little patch. Definitely not something from a professional garment factory.
The stitching is very rough and uneven.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240110-190024~3.png
    Screenshot_20240110-190024~3.png
    364 KB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot_20240110-190024~2.png
    Screenshot_20240110-190024~2.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 46
I am 99% sure the crossed items in the middle of the symbol are indeed ski poles. I was thinking the triangles could be pine trees or a sunburst but the suggestion they are meant to represent a compass or compass points makes sense to me.

ETA: The choice of that material with that symbol is an odd one for the repair being made to the jacket. I agree with @annpats about it having the look of being embroidered by hand and not being a logo per se.

I see the Trees for sure, and the ski poles, but I still think these other pointed shapes are shaped more like a leaf, or a Indian spear head as it narrows at the base. They are definitely not the same, it is every other one.

What are the nearest ski resorts to the Netherlands?

The closest ones are in Western Belgium around Spa and Malmedy and across the border in Germany both in Eifel and probably a bit closer from Amsterdam and bigger choice, in Rothaargebirge. Both are about 3 hours drive from Amsterdam, but are relatively small resorts, more geared toward locals.Oct 21, 2022 (Wikipedia)

apparently plenty of xc ski areas in the Netherlands....https://www.wikiloc.com/trails/cross-country-skiing/netherlands
but some one could have gone anywhere else in Europe...or abroad... and it is weird to me that the "patch" has no name- most ski patches have names because people want to keep track of where they were- so unfinished? name portion cut off? there are ski teams too- like in schools, but again, they would have a name...

What are the nearest ski resorts to the Netherlands?

The closest ones are in Western Belgium around Spa and Malmedy and across the border in Germany both in Eifel and probably a bit closer from Amsterdam and bigger choice, in Rothaargebirge. Both are about 3 hours drive from Amsterdam, but are relatively small resorts, more geared toward locals.Oct 21, 2022 (Wikipedia)

apparently plenty of xc ski areas in the Netherlands....https://www.wikiloc.com/trails/cross-country-skiing/netherlands
but some one could have gone anywhere else in Europe...or abroad... and it is weird to me that the "patch" has no name- most ski patches have names because people want to keep track of where they were- so unfinished? name portion cut off? there are ski teams too- like in schools, but again, they would have a name...
The Doe was from the Dolomites, a region in Italy known for ski resorts.

okay I give up, I can't find anything even close to this patch. I also realized that it is red or maroon colored thread used in the design. That is odd, why would you use red for pine trees? I googled polo sticks and they look similar, so now I am just down the rabbit hole. I do have a desire to go to a resort and have a good meal at the Indian Pines restaurant now that I have seen all the advertisements for skiing and food.

1704918246336.png

Is it printed or embroidered on? Did they test the fabric of the logo itself to see if it glows like modern fabric, or if it's older?

This could be ethnic Russian - Searching on Yandex for the logo returns similar-looking patterns in things from antiques to modern 'linen rune bags'.

Examples of Russian embroidery:

The patch being from something old, or something that's spiritually significant, may explain why it was used where it was.

Edit to add: On the third slide here, it shows a pattern with the triangle points facing out, with the same number of points, (16), as in the logo. Солярные знаки и древние символы в вышивке языческих славян доклад, проект If you look at the logo closely, you'll notice that the triangles alternate between triangles and diamonds. The inner part could be something similar to Mara's Cross, or arrows.

There's a site which has a 'map of Russia in embroidery' which I'm not sure how to link directly to because of the different language set in the URL, but is linked in the third paragraph of this article: Artists Map Russia’s Regions in Folk Embroidery - The Moscow Times

Murmansk region from that map:

map_cropped.png

Last edited:
okay I give up, I can't find anything even close to this patch. I also realized that it is red or maroon colored thread used in the design. That is odd, why would you use red for pine trees? I googled polo sticks and they look similar, so now I am just down the rabbit hole. I do have a desire to go to a resort and have a good meal at the Indian Pines restaurant now that I have seen all the advertisements for skiing and food.

View attachment 473633

Those are technically polo mallets btw.

Yes, I am the Grammar Police, if you're wondering.

I'm on the Ski-Poles-With-Trees-and-Something side of the fence.

This is the jacket on which the logo is sewn.1704928817615.png

“In addition to the body, the container held men’s clothing, including a white jacket with a striking detail: a logo sewn in over a scorch mark.”

This is the jacket on which the logo is sewn.View attachment 473670

“In addition to the body, the container held men’s clothing, including a white jacket with a striking detail: a logo sewn in over a scorch mark.”

kind of a modern jacket and a bit odd to put a porous type of material on a modern(?) synthetic. Is the scorch mark from a cigarette or something else? wondering if the police are tracking the dye in the thread- chemicals in dyes can be particular to certain times/places; also wondering if there is any DNA on the clothing.

Could they be hiking poles?
I agree, more likely than ski poles. A skiing motif would not feature just the poles, but IMO would include skis.

I don't see the trees as a compass image, because they're all the same size. To convey the idea of a compass, the 4 cardinal points are made much larger, as posted above:

I think it's a home embroidered little patch. Definitely not something from a professional garment factory.
The stitching is very rough and uneven.
I agree with you. IMO, it's less likely to be a logo, than some type of badge, perhaps a small hiking club who had matching jackets embroidered.

I speculate the person had a worn out garment kept for sentimental reasons because of the badge, so they cut it up and used it to repair something they wore regularly.

Unfortunately, that would really reduce the number of people who might recognizes it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RABay1735
Back