HENDERSON, N.C. - Javion Magee, 21, found dead leaning against a tree with a rope around his neck

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
The information released by LE indicates that he went into a nearby Hampton Inn but left 10 minutes later. I assume he was staying there, but it’s not clear.

I also didn’t understand the rationale that “nothing under his fingernails” pointed to foul play. Would think the opposite, as others have mentioned.

Thank you for sharing. I had come across the part about them not allowing the family to identify the body on SM but didn't want to share it because I couldn't find a MSM source.

It may be extremely telling, or it may not be. Hopefully answers start coming to light.
I can understand them not sending a photo to the family for identification. That would put very sensitive material (and evidence) out of their hands and control. Not releasing a photo makes sense, even if it is painful to the family who want to see it.

jmo

I'm curious about the 911 call. The caller states "hung himself in a tree". "In", not "from". Was Javion's body hanging at the time of the call but later fell?
The 911 call from the person who found Magee's body was also released.

The caller said, "I’m at my job mowing grass, and I think there’s a man out here who hung himself in a tree."

The 911 operator responded, "A guy hung himself in a tree?" and the 911 caller confirmed, "Yeah, he looks dead. He’s still got a rope around his neck."
Source

I'm curious about the 911 call. The caller states "hung himself in a tree". "In", not "from". Was Javion's body hanging at the time of the call but later fell?

Source
It does seem strange to speculate that much. The caller says he still has the rope around his neck so he is speculating that he may have hanged himself, but the caller states the hanging as fact.

I can only imagine my shock at finding him. I think I’d just say I think a man is dead, send help.

Just my opinion

It does seem strange to speculate that much. The caller says he still has the rope around his neck so he is speculating that he may have hanged himself, but the caller states the hanging as fact.

I can only imagine my shock at finding him. I think I’d just say I think a man is dead, send help.

Just my opinion
Right. Perhaps I'm being nitpicky, but if I found a dead person at the base of a tree with a rope around his neck, my instinct would not be to say, "he hung himself in a tree." For all I know, he may have never been up in the tree.

Right. Perhaps I'm being nitpicky, but if I found a dead person at the base of a tree with a rope around his neck, my instinct would not be to say, "he hung himself in a tree." For all I know, he may have never been up in the tree.
I don't know. In shock, you might see a man with a rope around his neck and just assume he had been in the tree and say it that way as it's kind of in the common vernacular that hangings are IN trees. The priority would be summoning help, not defining prepositions, ykiwm?

jmo

Agree

I don't know. In shock, you might see a man with a rope around his neck and just assume he had been in the tree and say it that way as it's kind of in the common vernacular that hangings are IN trees. The priority would be summoning help, not defining prepositions, ykiwm?

jmo
Oh, for sure. I get that. I'm more curious if the caller actually saw the body hanging, or was just using common vernacular, as you say.

If the victim's neck was injured, which it was, enough force would have to have been applied to break the skin. I would think either the weight of his own body, or the application of force from an assailant would do that. I'm not sure a person would inflict that much damage to their own neck without the weight of actually hanging, but again, I'm no expert.

Oh, for sure. I get that. I'm more curious if the caller actually saw the body hanging, or was just using common vernacular, as you say.

If the victim's neck was injured, which it was, enough force would have to have been applied to break the skin. I would think either the weight of his own body, or the application of force from an assailant would do that. I'm not sure a person would inflict that much damage to their own neck without the weight of actually hanging, but again, I'm no expert.
Fwiw, my hunch is this was self-inflicted and he was never "in" the tree, but of course will await official announcement. I just am not reading much into the caller's use of the word "in."

jmo

The information released by LE indicates that he went into a nearby Hampton Inn but left 10 minutes later. I assume he was staying there, but it’s not clear.
Regarding the Hampton;
According to the warrant, Magee was recorded using the self-checkout at Walmart, wearing the same clothes he was later found in. Twelve minutes later, he entered the Hampton Inn on Ruin Creek Road but left shortly after when an associate informed him that no rooms were available that night.
Source

Most people that hang themselves don’t just drop and die. They actually strangle themselves to death and there is considerable movement in the way of thrashing around usually indicated by disturbed ground under the feet if they are in contact with the ground and abrasions on the arms and legs if they are close to a tree, ladder or other object that they could come into contact with. This is also what causes the abrasions to the neck from the rope rubbing against the skin during the process. It’s most likely that there is petichae (small pinpointed ruptured blood vessels) visible in the eyes as would be normally seen on a strangulation type of death. Just some things to consider.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crankymomma
Back