DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATED:

Nala found 2/10 clean at Nahiku Market Place

Location1: Burnt car found at Jaws, Wednesday 2/12

Location 2: February 13th found late morning
some 5 miles away from location 4 near mile marker 9-10 near Kaumahina State Wayside Park, Police were led to the makai shoulder of the roadway where a blood stained pair of Blue jeans were found by searchers.
Blue jeans found lying on top of bushes when Loo arrived.
Zip ties found near jeans. (Not processed)

Location 3 Feb 13
drag marks near guard rail MM 18 (not photographed) steep drop off several 100 ft.

Location 4
Thursday 2/13 Evening getting dark
Nuaailua Bay, which is known as "Paraquats" beach MM 15.5 area
Phaedra found: Charli's clothing, a long black skirt with stab marks and a blue polka dot blouse.
a green blanket WITH MAGGOTS, shoes belonging to Charli, Twilight DVD.
BLACK pants and GREY jacket (that were not Charli's)
(This is the area SC told Brooke when the two of them drove Hana on Feb. 11th that he had already looked there)

Location 4
Next day Friday 2/14
Nuaailua Bay, which is known as "Paraquats" beach MM 15.5 area
gloves and duct tape found

Same search, same day, farther down path I assume?
Pool of maggots
Scott's jawbone split in two, 6 feet apart,
clumps of her red hair,
pieces of skin,
a bra,
body piercing with flesh,
fingertips and nails of her right hand,

noted for myself.
Wailua Wayside Park, where Capobianco said he was picked up by the driver of the Toyota Corolla.

I see no blood on her blue polka dot shirt. The black skirt either although that's hard to see.

I see no blood on her blue polka dot shirt. The black skirt either although that's hard to see.

Don't count on seeing colors accurately on that courtroom monitor, not to mention the KHON camera or your screen. In person the colors are much richer.

Heartgoesout, no testimony about shoes found from Phaedra. Duct tape found on Thursday by Phaedra, not on Friday.

Sequence is as you're driving to Hana...

Kaumahina State Wayside Park
Hanamanu
Paraquats
Keanae
Wailua
the area where Stevens car was supposed to be.

i don't know mile markers. Most locals know the areas by landmarks or by the names of the bridges. Im almost 40 years on the island, in my early years drove it weekly, last few years 2-3 times a month.

There are no cliffs at all at Keanae School, the School is Mauka (mountain side), across the street (Makai) are homes. No cliffs

but the area where Steven says his truck was is past Wailua town going UP a ridge right after you drive through the populated area, there's a rock mountain directly on one side, cliffs on the other. All those cliffs however are above Wailua town. I would just think a body would be more likely to be found here than other parts of the road because some of the land below is farmed (taro) it's an inhabited area. There's a lookout on each side of the road on each side around this area, one looks down over Wailua Town and ocean, the mountain side has a valley lookout.

UPDATED:

Nala found 2/10 clean at Nahiku Market Place

Location1: Burnt car found at Jaws, Wednesday 2/12

Location 2: February 13th found late morning
some 5 miles away from location 4 near Mile Marker 9-10 near Kaumahina State Wayside Park, Police were led to the makai shoulder of the roadway where a blood stained pair of Blue jeans were found by searchers.
Blue jeans found lying on top of bushes when Loo arrived.
Zip ties found near jeans. (Not processed)

Location 3 Feb 13
drag marks near guard rail Mile Marker 18 (not photographed) steep drop off several 100 ft.

Location 4
Thursday 2/13 Evening getting dark
Nuaailua Bay, which is known as "Paraquats" beach Mile Marker 15.5 area
Phaedra found: Charli's clothing, a long black skirt with stab marks and a blue polka dot blouse.
a green blanket WITH MAGGOTS, Twilight DVD. (??shoes belonging to Charli??, reported but not in testimony)
BLACK pants and GREY hooded zip up jacket (that were not Charli's)
Duct tape
(This is the area SC told Brooke when the two of them drove Hana on Feb. 11th that he had already looked there)

Location 4
Next day Friday 2/14
Nuaailua Bay, which is known as "Paraquats" beach Mile Marker 15.5 area
gloves reported but not testified to
Pool of maggots
Scott's jawbone split in two, 6 feet apart,
clumps of her red hair,
pieces of skin,
a bra,
body piercing with flesh,
fingertips and nails of her right hand,

noted for myself.
Wailua Wayside Park, where Capobianco said he was picked up by the driver of the Toyota Corolla.

Heartgoesout, no testimony about shoes found from Phaedra. Duct tape found on Thursday by Phaedra, not on Friday.

Sequence is as you're driving to Hana...

Kaumahina State Wayside Park
Hanamanu
Paraquats
Keanae
Wailua
the area where Stevens car was supposed to be.

i don't know mile markers. Most locals know the areas by landmarks or by the names of the bridges. Im almost 40 years on the island, in my early years drove it weekly, last few years 2-3 times a month.

There are no cliffs at all at Keanae School, the School is Mauka (mountain side), across the street (Makai) are homes. No cliffs

but the area where Steven says his truck was is past Wailua town going UP a ridge right after you drive through the populated area, there's a rock mountain directly on one side, cliffs on the other. All those cliffs however are above Wailua town. I would just think a body would be more likely to be found here than other parts of the road because some of the land below is farmed (taro) it's an inhabited area. There's a lookout on each side of the road on each side around this area, one looks down over Wailua Town and ocean, the mountain side has a valley lookout.
Thanks so much. This (about the valley) is what I was trying to explain to Kapua when I said the drop didn't go into a gulch.
You know, they never found anything connected to the crime at this spot between MM 18-19, so it may not be. There are other reasons that things get dropped over cliffs. I guess we could rule out appliance disposal though, because whatever was dragged had to fit under the bottom of a guardrail.

The police do like to use mile markers as reference, but most times an incident doesn't conveniently happen AT an exact MM, so I at least took the location as MM18 or past, but not as far as MM19.
The "Road to Hana" as tourist experience is broken down Mile by Mile with maps using mile markers on various maps for tourism, and if you run a search for Hana mile by mile you get your pick. This one is a Youtube spin by the sights by mile marker. The first 2:50 or so gets you to Nahiku, after which you are past the sites relevant to the case.
[video=youtube;7euM-JQ2Owg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7euM-JQ2Owg[/video]
At about 1:56 in there is a frame showing a pali to valley drop around the Wailua Wayside area of the road, which just gives an idea of the topography. Pali = cliff in Hawai'i. There are a number of steep drops close to the ocean, but the area we are talking about past MM 18 is inland as shown in that shot.
ed. to add, the video link above when not playing shows a pic of Honomanu Bay as one drives from the Kahalui side (west to east). Note the high sides to the valley there, that don't show up on a flat map. Nua'ailua is the next valley over.

Completely agree. Mile marker 18 for example would be for reference point only and certainly could be anywhere between 18.1 and 18.9

Thanks to everyone for helping explain these points. It really helped me put a visual to where we're talking.

So I'm still confused if MM 18 is where the drag marks were. There doesn't seem to be any severe drop off areas like Loo described.
This is what was reported and what I remember hearing but like I said Apo was talking several different areas in one short conversation.
It appeared to be a drag spot but was not photographed and may just be mentioned to give the jurors a thought and may not even be associated.
Sigh...
Any insiders that can confirm would be appreciated. It's weighing on my mind.

At Mile 18, Sgt. Loo testified that drag marks were observed below a guardrail on the makai shoulder of the road and that vegetation below appeared to be “pushed down.” Maui Now

Drag marks were also discovered near a guardrail off the highway with a steep drop-off cliff. KHON

This is all I can find. Is MM 18 the correct area with the drag marks? The jeans and zip ties were not found near the drag marks I thought.

It would be great if you could find where Loo said this and share it. MM 18 is flat plateau with a school and is semi residential

OK, so here is one of two times he talks about MM18. Here it is just testimony about getting the alert, not about the drag marks. This is all Day 4, Part 2.

https://youtu.be/BAYvHW4S2xA?t=23m48s

This is something Rivera jumps to in the middle of the testimony about Kaumahina and going to find the jeans, which is why it's easy to confuse the two. Loo was en route to MM18 alert when he got a call to stop at or near Kaumahina -- which he says is about MM 9-10, and that's not correct for the entrance to Kaumahina, which is farther on, but it may be correct for where the jeans actually were along the highway. The rest of this testimony sticks with the jeans, then shifts to visiting Charli's house the next day.

At 33:40 there is a close-up of the jeans.
At 41:00 there is a shot everyone should look at who wants a mental image of the jeans site, which is on Hana Highway with .

Direct link: https://youtu.be/BAYvHW4S2xA?t=41m

Loo has testified they were on the makai (ocean) side of the guardrail in the bushes, not folded, just sort of dropped there. You can see this portion of the highway ahead has no shoulder all, but right where the jeans were is a curved bit of shoulder with a guardrail, not wide enough to pull off the road when there is traffic, but a spot that would catch the eye if one were driving looking for a spot. A guardrail typically indicates there is a drop or something dangerous off the edge, right? If the shoulder doesn't drop off, they don't spend money on a rail.

Next I'll find the part where he really goes into what he found near MM 18, which is not in the flat part of the actual MM, because you can tell from his description.

Day 4, Pt 3, 3:00 minute mark, he tells the main story of "Mile Marker 18"

https://youtu.be/vA9W6zRmBM0?t=3m

This is after he stopped to look at and recover the jeans back at MM 9-10 Kaumahina.
There are citizens there, and two other officers arrive about the same time Loo does.
Makai side of Hana Highway, guardrail, over the guardrail a couple feet of vegetation that then drops off to a sheer drop. Estimation of drop: several hundred feet.
At that location, underneath the guardrail, on the surface, appeared to be dragmarks. On the other side of guardrail, some of the vegetation by the marks appeared pushed down and broken like something fell on it.
Helicopter shows up, Air One, about 30 minutes later, and two citizens rappel down.
He tells Air One to look down at the valley floor along the edge of the cliff. It started at one side of the valley and worked its way to Loo's position, scanning the whole area, for about 45 minutes.

The best landmark Loo can come up with when asked is MM 18.

attachment.php

This is my screenshot of the stretch of highway where the drag marks could be. After the MM 18 area that Peter Tosh posted, there's a road off to Wailua Valley, past which the road climbs and there is guardrail. In only a few places are there no trees blocking the view down into the valley, remember Loo was able to look down and see the drop of several hundred feet. After Wailua Valley Wayside, there is no guardrail because it's all a curb wall.
So I hope you can see what Loo would mean about Air One starting from one end of the valley floor to Loo's position, which must be a ways past the Wailua Road turnoff to gain that much elevation needed for the sheer drop. Also you can see the cultivated farm areas on the valley floor that we discussed earlier.

This is a shot from street view after passing Wailua Road and climbing, where you can see the steep topography ahead.
https://goo.gl/maps/oojXt9mRfz22

Attachments

• Screenshot 2016-07-16 13.24.05.jpg
    Screenshot 2016-07-16 13.24.05.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 42
attachment.php

This is my screenshot of the stretch of highway where the drag marks could be. After the MM 18 area that Peter Tosh posted, there's a road off to Wailua Valley, past which the road climbs and there is guardrail. In only a few places are there no trees blocking the view down into the valley, remember Loo was able to look down and see the drop of several hundred feet. After Wailua Valley Wayside, there is no guardrail because it's all a curb wall.
So I hope you can see what Loo would mean about Air One starting from one end of the valley floor to Loo's position, which must be a ways past the Wailua Road turnoff to gain that much elevation needed for the sheer drop. Also you can see the cultivated farm areas on the valley floor that we discussed earlier.

This is a shot from street view after passing Wailua Road and climbing, where you can see the steep topography ahead.
https://goo.gl/maps/oojXt9mRfz22
It would seem Loo is quite off the mark with his MM 18. MMM19 at best

It would seem Loo is quite off the mark with his MM 18. MMM19 at best
Agree, lol, well he wasn't accurate with Kaumahina at 9-10 MM either, but luckily they showed an exhibit of the blue jean spot (see above post of mine with direct link to the exhibit on screen).

from his testimony, it appears he was told through dispatch that MM 18 as the place he was going to check out. Doubtless he was given additional directions to where the citizen searchers were waiting for him. I surmise that he 18 got planted in his head and even though it was actually between 18 and almost to 19 it just stuck there.

Police use mile markers. For disabled cars, accidents, ambulance calls, fire calls etc... that's why they're there!!
Loo says between 9 and 10 speaking of the one area but there is no hesitation about mm 18.
He also is very confident about that mile marker when he speaks of the helicopter searching the cliff area around MM 18. There's got to be a cliff somewhere around there.

Would the area near let's say mm 17.7 ish where the U part of the road is have a drop off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softhunterstech