GUILTY HI - Carly Joann 'Charli' Scott, 27, pregnant, Makawao, 9 Feb 2014 - #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yes, his overly helpful, obsequious tone. Good points, HGO.

Yes, his overly helpful, obsequious tone. Good points, HGO.

We saw through it, but a jury may think wow he's a nice guy, maybe it was heat of the moment, he couldn't possibly have sawed her with a serrated kitchen knife or tortured her. It's hard to imagine that kind of evil. Especially when the defendant doesn't look or talk like a deranged Charles Mason type.
I don't know, just my initial worries.

I can only imagine the nightmares that the jurors may have suffered due to this heinous murder. Surely they have a clear picture of this creature's ability to cause harm, mane his prey and viciously murder the mother of his child. I do not expect SC to receive any empathy from the jurors when it comes to enhancing his sentence.

They know the reason the rest of Charli's body cannot be found. The answer is in the following statement.
Jurors are scheduled to return to court Tuesday morning to hear instructions and closing arguments on the question of whether Scott’s murder was “especially heinous, atrocious or cruel, manifesting exceptional depravity,” as the prosecution alleges.

I really liked what Cardoza said when he ruled against Apo's motion to dismiss the enhanced sentencing as a matter of law. As the Maui News article explains, Apo tried to argue that stabbing a person more times is more merciful because she would bleed more and would die more quickly. Shudder.

Cardoza said that knowing her baby is being killed in her womb with each stab would be a mental suffering as great or greater than any physical suffering. He made the point that suffering is subjective not objective. It's in the mental, emotional, physical response of the victim, how it felt to Charli. Did she experience what he did as intentional cruelty? Without question, IMO.

Sadly, the abuse of her remains does not count in Hawai'i. It should, but there is no law against it. Now if there were a witness who said that he told her he would be chopping up her body and she and Joshua would never be found, that would fall under the enhanced provision because it would have added to her distress, to put it mildly.

If only there were someone who could testify as to what he did and said to her.

We saw through it, but a jury may think wow he's a nice guy, maybe it was heat of the moment, he couldn't possibly have sawed her with a serrated kitchen knife or tortured her. It's hard to imagine that kind of evil. Especially when the defendant doesn't look or talk like a deranged Charles Mason type.
I don't know, just my initial worries.
Yep, those were my concerns exactly.

I do wonder how he would have replied on cross. He couldn't very well argue anything that tried to mitigate his methods, because he couldn't do anything but deny that he did it at all. To admit the murder and say it was in heat of the moment would be to torpedo his coming appeal.

Yep, those were my concerns exactly.

I do wonder how he would have replied on cross. He couldn't very well argue anything that tried to mitigate his methods, because he couldn't do anything but deny that he did it at all. To admit the murder and say it was in heat of the moment would be to torpedo his coming appeal.

Right because what could he possibly say? On the stand he would have to continue with the charade. How do you defend yourself, still, against life without parole after being found guilty? What would he have been testifying to?

What questions would the prosecution ask? What would the defense say?

Charade is the exactly right. it would have been interesting to see, if the stakes had not been so high on either side.

The defense has at least twice now offered a mitigating theory that did postulate Steven's involvement.

1) The bizarre theory about sex in the jungle, miscarriage, bleeding, death, wild pigs eating her because of the blood. Was that then to be taken as a statement by Steven? No, because he didn't testify.

2) Friday he argues that the multiple stab wounds in the skirt don't prove the enhanced circumstances, and doesn't argue it was not Steven.

I find it odd how the defense attorneys can make such claims, but they are apparently not any kind of admission from Steven. As long as Steven doesn't testify, there seems to be little restraint on what Apo can argue, within the framework of the given evidence. Rivera objects when the wild argument contradicts the evidence, but within those parameters, Apo and Nardi can go wild with suppositions.

Live Now !

[video=youtube;OMcXTRaOiMs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMcXTRaOiMs[/video]

Apo is insulting the jury with his statements of how they found the defendant guilty! imo

His psyche is such a hot mess, it's amazing that his abnormality does not show whenever he speaks, but I guess that is a function of his abnormal control. And then every so often his eyes shoot out a look that reveals the monster. That's quite a good still shot that Maui News got of him.

In the one photo, he almost looks like he is smirking (I've enclosed the link below). Or, he has the audacity to be bored or something. (Bolded and italicized by me.)

http://www.mauinews.com/news/local-news/2016/12/capobianco-i-will-not-be-testifying/

Just MHO.

Yes, please stay safe, Maui residents, and visitors to that gorgeous island.

Now we wait on the jury again! Ugg with Apo I know he is still upset the jury found SC guilty, but geez grow up. imo moo

I will be so relieved to never again see that exasperated the-whole-stupid-world-is-against-me, hangdog, Apobod Crane shuffle! I would feel alienated by him if I were on that jury.

What happened? At work.

It is on You Tube

[video=youtube;OMcXTRaOiMs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMcXTRaOiMs[/video]

Apo basically is saying the jury shouldn't have believed that Charli was killed with a serrated kitchen knife. He also made a comment about having a pregnant juror on the jury. Then he kept objecting during the rebuttal. I don't know if they put on any evidence they didn't show any. all imo

Wow.....one hour only.
:clap:
I think Apo convinced the jury when he stated that the more stab wounds the quicker the death, hence, less suffering. I was stunned by the callousness of that argument as I'm sure was the jury.

Holy Bleeeeeeep!
wow that was quick! So as it stands without appeals LIFE WITHOUT PAROLE!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cmunden
Back