GUILTY HI - Carly Joann 'Charli' Scott, 27, pregnant, Makawao, 9 Feb 2014 - #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
And it aborted after less than a minute but they haven't come
in yet.

Kim just wrote that court was cancelled.....no explanation. Scheduled for tomorrow (Tues) at 10:00 .

It sounds like the family and supporters were outside the courthouse and ready to represent for Charli, then it was cancelled. Sigh.

FYI
Charli's 30th birthday was Thursday, Thanksgiving. So hard on family.

From what I heard during the streaming it seems that Apo says the defense will not rest if two new pieces of evidence were presented by the State. Apo had an issue with the "gallery full of people" because he felt the case was not ready for closing statements. Court went to recess and never returned. There was a juror asking to be excused, replaced by alternate juror #2.

From what I heard during the streaming it seems that Apo says the defense will not rest if two new pieces of evidence were presented by the State. Apo had an issue with the "gallery full of people" because he felt the case was not ready for closing statements. Court went to recess and never returned. There was a juror asking to be excused, replaced by alternate juror #2.

I heard that juror #2 will be replaced by an alternate as juror 2 had a tragedy in the family in the last 12 hours and was up all night. I think this is related to the hit and run death of a 16 yr old girl in Kihei last night. Very sad.
Closing arguments will be tomorrow and Wednesday and deliberations should start Thursday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the way they have strung out this trial, I suppose it'd be shocking if closings didn't last 3 full days.

I feel so exhausted by this trial. It feels like it's been going forever. The judge stresses me out with his mumbling and umming and ahhing. I honestly feel for Charli's family and friends. They need this to be over.

Well, according to Maui Now, the closings plus additional juror instructions will take 3 days:

http://mauinow.com/2016/11/28/capob...guments-start-tuesday-alternate-juror-placed/

Prosecuting attorney Robert Rivera said he had no more rebuttal witnesses in the case and indicated to the court that the state rests and has concluded it’s presentation of evidence in rebuttal. The defense also rested with attorney Jon Apo indicating that he too had no further witnesses.

Jurors each received a 35-plus page packet of instructions from the court and Judge Cardoza spent a half hour reading the court’s instruction of law to them.

The court will proceed with the prosecution’s closing arguments at 10 a.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 29. The defense will present their closing arguments the following day, on Wednesday, Nov. 30.

Since the prosecution carries the burden of proof, the state will be given the opportunity to provide a rebuttal argument, which will take place on Thursday, Dec. 1.

The rebuttal will be followed by a few more instructions from the court, after which, the jury can begin their deliberations.

And mahalo nui to Wendy Osher at Maui Now and Lila Fujimoto at Maui News for their dedicated reporting on behalf of those of us who cannot watch the live stream every day. Great job, much appreciated.

I feel so exhausted by this trial. It feels like it's been going forever. The judge stresses me out with his mumbling and umming and ahhing. I honestly feel for Charli's family and friends. They need this to be over.
I'm with you.
I'm sad for this poor juror who now has a family tragedy. He or she spent months on this and for what? I hope the alternate is glad to step up and be a decision maker.

I heard that juror #2 will be replaced by an alternate as juror 2 had a tragedy in the family in the last 12 hours and was up all night. I think this is related to the hit and run death of a 16 yr old girl in Kihei last night. Very sad.
Closing arguments will be tomorrow and Wednesday and deliberations should start Thursday.

Heartfelt condolences to the family and friends of juror #2's family member. May they find comfort and healing.

And thanks to all of the jurors, including the alternates, who have served for these past 5 months. This is taking your civic duty to the max.

I too hope the Juror's tragedy is not the fatal hit and run in Kihei. Double heartbreak. I'll be watching from afar but with every fiber in my body my prayers are with the family of last night's victim and the Scotts.

Sadly, most likely it is the hit and run. Watched the island news last night, and it was the only candidate that just happened, and of course it was never expected. Horrible. This was the second pedestrian death in the week on Maui. People drive so carelessly. Wishing the juror healing - eventually.

The prosecution's closing arguments are underway. Rivera is putting it all together.

Rivera pointed out the 3 different stories that SC told about how he injured his hands.

https://youtu.be/tYFC84U73g4

Start at 29:52

Prosecuting Attorney Robert Rivera

“All of those 1% of communications made in the Nua’ailua area, they occurred during the week of February 9th, 10th, 11th.

It wasn’t scattered. It wasn’t in December, January, February, March. It was on February 9th, February 10th, and February 11th.

So there’s no way there’s a coincidence that the Defendant is at Nua’ailua Bay when Charli’s murdered. That’s not a coincidence.

There’s no way it’s a coincidence that the Defendant was at Nua’ailua Bay when all egg laying activity ceased. Somebody had to wrap her in her blanket: That was the Defendant. (points toward SC)

There’s absolutely no way there’s a coincidence that he’s there back on the 11th just before the second egg laying activity begins Wednesday morning. These aren’t coincidences.

When the Defendant is there at Nua’ailua Bay, on the 9th, 10th, and 11th, according the the timeline you first saw, he’s there before Charli’s 4runner is ever found burned. He’s there before the pair of blue jeans with Charli’s blood on it is ever discovered. He is there before Charli’s clothing is found before family and friends. The Defendant is there before Charli’s jawbone, hair, bra, and maggots were recovered on Friday the 14th. He’s there at Nua’ailua Bay before the rest of Charli her fingernails, her piercing, her hair, and (not audible)

Ultimately ladies and gentleman, it’s the maggots and the Defendant’s phone records that lead us to the truth here and uncovers the Defendant’s lies when he says he had nothing to do with Charli’s murder.
The only other time he’s at the Nua’ailua area is when he’s telling people not to go down there trying to prevent people from finding out what he’s done.

The bottom line: He’s there when she’s murdered. He’s there when she’s covered up. And he’s there to throw the blanket into the stream and to remove her body.
We know which direction it went. We just don’t know where it went.”

RDS, that was definitely the payoff moment in the prosecution's closing argument. Thank you for transcribing it. Only two more days before this case is finally in the hands of the jury.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marjulius
Back