UNSOLVED HI - Honolulu, WhtMale, 20-22, fridge at Moanalua Ridge Separation Center, Pearl Harbor, Oct'45

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The 1973 Fire, National Personnel Records Center

Huge fire, created a huge problem with military records!

The NPRC told him his records were destroyed, but we suspected it was from the water/smoke/molding issues, they wouldn't or couldn't tell him exactly what happened to his. Since the ones that burned were Army & Air Force.

The last time he tried to get information from them was in 1974 I think, I am not positive on that. At some point they reconstructed his records because we were able to have them accessed in the early 90's when he died, but the information available was limited.

Former VA employee, specifically someone who helped handle the conversion of files from physical to digital. Sadly, water damage is way too common and it comes from all sorts of stuff. Records are stored at the NPRC in Saint Louis, and when another regional office wants to see a folder it's mailed all the way there, UPS Ground. Then it's shipped back. If you're lucky to be in queue for digitalizing, your folder is getting shipped yet again to Wisconsin or whatever other place, and that's if it hasn't been completely lost in the mail or fallen behind a filing cabinet or something at this point. Seems like once a day at a minimum I'd open a STR folder and find mold. Even more common was pages glued together by water damage. They handle records much better now but sadly errors of the past still hurt today. :(

As fascinating as that job was it was really sad at times too. Hopefully this young man has an intact enough file to help identify him, and if not hopefully DNA testing works.

Last edited:
Navy and Marine Corps records from World War II are still mostly intact and in paper format.

Putting old records in a computer format might seem like a good idea, but in fact many things get lost that way. Any time records are put into a searchable computer format, only certain bits are entered and other things get left out. Some one decides what information is important at a given time and the other information might not be available to later researchers.

And another problem is that old computer files are not always made available to newer types of computers. One has to revert to looking at paper printouts of those old programs.

In the case of this unidentified person, he very likely is a sailor whose Service Record is held somewhere at the National Military Personnel Records Center (NMPRC), St. Louis, MO. This is NOT part of the Veterans Affairs Department, although they do work closely together in many instances, such as Veteran benefits and funerals.

What may likely have happened is that this young man may have been processed out of the Navy and was only awaiting transportation home to the States. In such a scenario, his record would have been forwarded on to storage and he would have had a typed set of travel orders, along with certain other documents like discharge papers, summary of service, etc.

@Adderall and @Richard Thank you both for the information, he had contacted NMPRC (I think) and we had contacted the VA. Mistakenly I have always thought they were the same people so I assumed they reconstructed his record.

My question is...is there a way to search the records that are stored for possible matches? Or to get a copy of the original report made by LCdr. S.H. Gray USN to compare to the records to at least narrow down possible matches? Or is all this data protected from general public since these are service members records?

This one really bothers me to think that a sailor, either at his own hand or by someone else's, now rests as in an unknown grave when there might be some way of solving it and giving him his name back.

@Adderall and @Richard Thank you both for the information, he had contacted NMPRC (I think) and we had contacted the VA. Mistakenly I have always thought they were the same people so I assumed they reconstructed his record.

My question is...is there a way to search the records that are stored for possible matches? Or to get a copy of the original report made by LCdr. S.H. Gray USN to compare to the records to at least narrow down possible matches? Or is all this data protected from general public since these are service members records?

This one really bothers me to think that a sailor, either at his own hand or by someone else's, now rests as in an unknown grave when there might be some way of solving it and giving him his name back.

You ask some good questions. However the answers are always somewhat conditional and situational.

The NMPRC can provide some pretty fast, but selected information when it involves a funeral. The most common document containing information that they can send out is the form DD-214 page which is a summary of service for each individual.

This DD-214 is a form which is typed up upon a person leaving the service and includes all assignments, promotions, qualifications, specialty codes, awards, etc. It is usually required by the Veterans Affairs folks before they will authorize military funeral honors and benefits, such as burial in a military cemetery or a headstone.

Each issuance of such information from an individual's service record is dependent upon the situation and described need.

In a case like this one, if there was some information which would help to narrow down the identity of this young man, and which would support a request, the NMPRC could probably assist. The Privacy Act of 1974 protected an individual's records from being made available to just anyone. A Freedom of information Act (FOIA) request might be required in some cases. However, after a certain amount of time (I have heard it is 62 years), the records do become open for research.

The Department of Veterans Affairs (formerly the Veterans Administration or VA) also has their own records system and index which tracks Veterans Benefits. If a service member/veteran applies for any kind of benefit, such as medical treatment, a home loan, college tuition, survivor benefits, etc. then he/she is given a file number. There is a master index maintained by the VA in Washington DC, and they can tell you what regional VA office holds the record, or where it was archived to. Sometimes this system can help to locate a veteran or his dependents.

The problem here is that this young man would never have applied for any benefits (unless his identity was stolen).

If this sailor had not yet been processed out, he would have been declared a deserter for administrative purposes - if the processing followed proper established procedures. But if he had actually been separated, and was only awaiting transportation home, then his records would have been dutifully forwarded to St. Louis for archival indicating that he had been discharged - and no indication of him being "missing" would exist in his record.

Perhaps the best hope of an identification of this unknown sailor would be for the same unit that is testing the DNA of the USS Oklahoma casualties to obtain his DNA and attempt to locate any relatives to compare it with.

This would require some publication of the case in an attempt to generate interest and information.

Last edited:
John Doe was found in 9 October 1945 at the Moanalua Ridge Separation Center on the northeast side of Pearl Harbor in a refrigerated compartment of an aboandoned galley.
The deceased was apparently a US Navy seaman
This story happened although the website "Sailor In the Frezer" report is not available..
However it is listed on the following sources:
Unidentied Wiki listed as "Pearl Harbor John Doe (1945)"

Last edited:
John Doe was found in 9 October 1945 at the Moanalua Ridge Separation Center on the northeast side of Pearl Harbor in a refrigerated compartment of an aboandoned galley.
The deceased was apparently a US Navy seaman
This story happened although the website "Sailor In the Frezer" report is not available..
However it is listed on the following sources:
Unidentied Wiki listed as "Pearl Harbor John Doe (1945)"
www.findagrave.com

Q 931 Unknown (unknown-1945) - Find a Grave...

John Doe was found on 9 October 1945 at the Moanalua Ridge Separation Center on the northeast side of Pearl Harbor. It was located in a refrigerated compartment of an aboandoned galley. Story can be found at https://wfirg.com/strange_tales/sailor_in_the_freezer
www.findagrave.com
www.findagrave.com

I still keep checking on this one, it bothers me that he is still unknown. I tried the link to wfirg, but the site is down or no longer available. As more and more DNA is mapped out so to speak hopefully someday they will be able to get a sample from him and find his family.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back