DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

JerseyGirl

Forum Coordinator
Staff member
Forum Coordinators
Reaction score
27-year-old Kyle Brittain was last seen Friday morning around 7 a.m. as he was heading into Waipio Valley for a hike. Hawaii County firefighters have been searching the area known as the Muliwai or Z trail. It connects Waipio Valley to Waimanu Valley.

‘We know he’s out there’: Family, friends continue search for missing man on Hawaii Island

TOWFR5WSGNBD3OJU3AU5SU4BHI.jpg

https://bigislandnow.com/2019/09/02/hiker-still-missing-family-requests-help/

His father, attorney Steve Brittain of Hilo, spoke to Big Island Now Monday. He said his son is an experienced hiker. Brittain added he last spoke to his son on Thursday night.

Brittain told his father he was headed to Waipio Valley on Friday for a day hike, adding he may go up the Z Trail. The Z trail is the trail that leads to the Waimanu Valley. The Waimanu trail is maintained by the State of Hawai‘i and is hiked frequently.

They have completed a thorough check of the main trail systems by foot and air.

still missing: He was last seen near the Waipio Valley lookout area on the morning of Friday, Aug. 30, 2019. He had informed family members that he was going hiking for the day on the transverse trail in Waipio Valley toward Waimanu Valley. He has not returned or been heard from by family and friends since.

https://bigislandnow.com/2019/09/03/missing-kyle-brittain-27-hilo/

Police are looking for public's help? Are they also searching? I recall from their involvement in Amanda Eller's search that there's was limit (2-3 days) for what LE will provide. Maybe the group that helped search for her will be involved, though it's Hawaii (Big Island) instead of Maui. Is anyone searching for him? It's not clear from article.

I can't seem to locate if they found his car or not; there's a request on the FB page to look for keys to a toyota. The keys were apparently seen on the ground in Waipaio (this is the approach to the Waimanu Canyon that Kyle was headed toward) and the family is asking for info. But whether they found his car or not I can't determine....anyone else?

I can't seem to locate if they found his car or not; there's a request on the FB page to look for keys to a toyota. The keys were apparently seen on the ground in Waipaio (this is the approach to the Waimanu Canyon that Kyle was headed toward) and the family is asking for info. But whether they found his car or not I can't determine....anyone else?
This doesn’t specifically mention his car, but does say he headed out alone to hike. And that he was housesitting for his dad who was on his honeymoon. Seems to me they’d know if he hiked there from his car being at the trailhead, unless his dad’s house is close enough to walk. JMO

https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.co...rch-underway-for-missing-waipio-valley-hiker/

Police are looking for public's help? Are they also searching? I recall from their involvement in Amanda Eller's search that there's was limit (2-3 days) for what LE will provide. Maybe the group that helped search for her will be involved, though it's Hawaii (Big Island) instead of Maui. Is anyone searching for him? It's not clear from article.

The group that searched for AE is assisting -
Hawaii Hiker missing for over a week

He told his family he was going for a hike on the transverse trail in Waipio Valley towards Waimanu Valley.
On line sources indicate that the Waipo Valley to Waimanu valley hike is difficult and potentially dangerous due to swollen stream crossings- even for experienced hikers. The hike down into the Waipo valley is on a paved, but very steep trail. I don't think there would have been an accident here. The climb out of the Waipo valley on the "Z" trail, however, looks like the start of the difficult and potentially dangerous areas.

I watched a few blog posts about hiking into the Waimanu Valley. Both bloggers, one male and one female, talked about crossing the river once you're into Waipio to get across to head up the Z trail hike that then drops you down into Waimanu. Both people talked about how hard it was to cross both rivers. One river had a line across it to hold onto, but you still got your pack wet and both bloggers were in big groups (6-8). I wonder, since keys were reportedly seen near the Waipio river, if he got in trouble at the get go and got swept out to sea, never even making it to the Z Trail that goes up and over into Waimanu.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coffee Wakeling 95
Back