FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen *4 Guilty* #24

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Her story that she didn’t want to give away Sigfredo makes little sense to me. As I recall, said on the stand in Charlie’s trial that it was because he was facing the death penalty, but it is my understanding that even after that was taken off the table and he was convicted, and before her second trial, she still refused to talk. As I recall she was asked about this on the stand, and she said that she didn’t want to hurt Sig’s appeal. None of this makes sense to me, because I have seen correspondence between Sig and his attorneys in which Sig himself is strongly encouraged to take a deal, and told that the state is willing to make a deal with Katie. (I believe his attorney even tells him his chances on appeal are slim, but I am not certain I am remembering that correctly.). In the correspondence that I’ve seen, my impression is that he seems bent on taking his chances at trial and on appeal, despite all legal advice against it.

I was under the impression that Sig loved Katie very much and would do anything for her, but he seems to me in this case to have been reluctant to take a deal that might have helped them both. One would think that if Katie had been told about his refusal to take an opportunity to save her and help himself, she would have changed her mind on being reluctant to tell on him, especially with the death penalty off the table. It’s possible that the offer for him, and his refusal to take it, was not communicated to her. Something is not adding up for me.
Right. Not adding up. At all. She said “If i gave Charlie away I’d have to give up the father of my children..you can arrest Charlie…” or something like that. She said it several times to Rashbaum.
Theres something really fishy and I’m wondering if her appeal could have to do with lawyer issues.
She did admit she was involved in the murder, so what do you think her appeal can be?
And shouldn’t that have already been happening?

Re the subject of ' bumping into Magbanua at the office', as per @GordonX 's WS post

@pattysplayhouse
On the last episode of STS, Joel said that one his sources had told him that Markus moved into a new office which just so happened to be in the same building complex as Magbanua's attorney. That he moved in, just when the case ' started to go down.' ( I assume Joel meant he moved in 2016)
Joel didn't elaborate further but it might be something you could delve into - if interested - due to your access & knowledge of so many property and rental records ? Attorney Daryl Cohen also agreed with Joel that it was a 'contrived' move

Last edited:

So why was Judge Hankinson satisfied re: who paid Katies defense?

Maybe DeCoste got a super discounted rental rate from Markus to sub-let office space in Penthouse One which Charlie paid for through Markus in exchange for most (~90%) of Katie's legal fees? That's one way to hide it. And Katie's family paying ~10% for show. That would be one way to fool the court and Hankinson.

Maybe DeCoste got a super discounted rental rate from Markus to sub-let office space in Penthouse One which Charlie paid for through Markus in exchange for most (~90%) of Katie's legal fees? That's one way to hide it. And Katie's family paying ~10% for show. That would be one way to fool the court and Hankinson.
It could be as simple as Katie needed a lawyer and Markus suggested these people down the hall.

Why star 67 your number if you are innocent? Donna says “OK’..not “let’s call the cops…maybe they are getting closer to finding Dans killer”….because we are being extorted….
Yes because they feared the extorters….

Interesting is the whole rant about how much better it is to pay a patient off then have to go to the board and perhaps lose your license over a lawsuit.
Pretty telling. Almost like a confession?

Last edited:

Why star 67 your number if you are innocent? Donna says “OK’..not “let’s call the cops…maybe they are getting closer to finding Dans killer”….because we are being extorted….

Interesting is the whole rant about how much better it is to pay a patient off then have to go to the board and perhaps lose your license over a lawsuit.
Definitely

Charlie presents to his mom the risks of going to the cops ( The Board) vs paying the blackmailer
Donna is so in tune with their covert comms style that she appreciates the risks immediately ( What if it's not a one-time payment?)
Charlie says ' but they're not bugging Wendi' ( approaching Wendi as the obvious suspect. That worries him because he knows it signifies the blackmailer has information beyond the obvious)

It's so slick.

Anyway, I guess this is another call which won't be used at Donna's trial.

Last edited:
So - can I have someone tell if ?? Jury selection starts on 9/17 or 9/20....

TIA - and very much appreciated!! :)

Definitely

Charlie presents to his mom the risks of going to the cops ( The Board) vs paying the blackmailer
Donna is so in tune with their covert comms style that she appreciates the risks immediately ( What if it's not a one-time payment?)
Charlie says ' but they're not bugging Wendi' ( approaching Wendi as the obvious suspect. That worries him because he knows it signifies the blackmailer has information beyond the obvious)

It's so slick.

Yes, the state said they were not using any calls with Charlie in it. But was that After his arrest?
They probably have enough on Donna then. I’d think. Donna, the mother of all mothers, is not correcting her son, or making any suggestions, I’d guess she is playing online scrabble while she talks to him…I’m guilty of that myself while listening to YT videos lol. The video is more incriminating for Charlie, anyway.

You actually did a better job of dissecting the audio then I did.

“I think it's the worst legal advice that maybe any lawyer ever provided to a client. I'm not going to hold back here at all I mean I guess that's kind of where I'm at tonight. I can't imagine a grosser disservice that a lawyer has ever done to a client than the lawyers that did anything to steer Katie Magbanua away from you know basically - the truth absolutely would have set her free so you know I absolutely 100% hold the attorneys accountable in that regard or any attorney you know maybe one or the other was in one camp. It seemed to me and you know I got the distinct impression from that closing argument that that attorney would have done everything she could to basically push the trial forward push it forward as opposed to you know maybe sitting down and having a conversation that needed to be had with Katie which I mean you know I think the truth you know is the proof’s in the pudding we're sitting here now and Katie's going to be in prison for the rest of her life whereas my understanding is she had pretty much just you know just tell the truth and um you know we'll let you go completely so yeah it was just terrible, terrible legal advice.” - Stephen G. Webster - Was Wendi Adelson Getting Preferential Treatment ? And Donna’s Biggest Problem - Surviving The Survivor: #BestGuests in True Crime

Last edited:

I’m trying to listen to this call with the idea in mind that he was extorted and/or that he told his mom he was extorted. It’s very interesting, he says “we don’t have information,” but even assuming he was extorted and told some thugs had killed Dan, it seems to me that would mean he DOES have information. It is possible that perhaps he might not have wanted to go to the cops with that information, but saying he doesn’t have any does not make sense to me in light of his claim that he was extorted.

Even if you assume that he is guilty but his mom is not, and she knows only the extortion story, it still seems to me that SHE would have information, and still she doesn’t say anything when he says this.

Last edited:
Definitely

It's so slick.

Is he saying that he doesn’t want to go to the cops because, as with the board of dentistry (so he says), even if he did nothing wrong they might SAY he did? That is very different, in my opinion, than what he said on the stand, which is that he didn’t want to go to the cops because he was afraid the people who were extorting him would come after him.

What exactly is he saying that he thinks the cops could accuse him of if he goes to them?

(Also, in my opinion, they wouldn’t have made that dentist pay back the money and take continuing Ed classes if he did nothing wrong, but of course I don’t know what that situation was.)

Last edited:
Definitely

It's so slick.

I believe they may be able to use this, as with all the bump calls, because it’s Donna on the phone, and she is the Defendant. Her own statements can always be used against her, as I understand it.

I don’t understand why they can’t use the calls between them in jail, but for some reason the defense seems to have argued they couldn’t, and the state didn’t pursue it.

But I believe the defense made a motion to exclude the bump calls and it was denied. I believe they made the same motion in Charlie’s trial, and it was denied as well.

What exactly is he saying that he thinks the cops could accuse him of if he goes to them? The cops are not the Board of Dentistry, they wouldn’t be responding to a complaint about him, presumably. The situation as he is describing it, to me, is not at all analogous, and yet he says it is. The only way this works as an analogy, for me, is if he is being accused of something or there is something he did that they could accuse him of.

(Also, in my opinion, they wouldn’t have made that dentist pay back the money and take continuing Ed classes if he did nothing wrong.)
I didn’t see the connection that Cottonwever did, until I read their comment. I think Charlie is just using an example of beating the system and doing things “under the table”.
He pays malpractice insurance for any claim, yet he would rather pay the patient to remain quiet.
He has talked about these kinds of things in other calls, a sort of boasting of his accomplishments , and how he seems to get away with breaking the law.
Maybe it gives him a thrill and a high.
So he diverts the attention away from reality to go back into his fantasy world of grandiosity.
I’m going to have another listen. Donna stays quiet so he always has an attentive audience with her. He shines with her, she never gives him a hard time or disagrees with him. His momma is proud of her boy..
Life for Charlie is like a game of cat and Mouse.
I’m wondering how he’s doing without having any “thrills” in his life.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Relentless85
Back