Deceased/Not Found HI - Moreira Monsalve, 46, Maui, 12 Jan 2014 *Guilty*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Charli (Carly) Scott
... missing since Sunday, Feb 9, 2014
... went to help ex-boyfriend out Sunday night on Hana Hwy (I believe near mile marker 20 in Keanae) & he says she followed him out but he lost sight of her headlights
... her dog, Nala, was found safe on Monday in Nahiku
... her SUV was found (burned) at Jaws, Haiku

Websleuths thread

Facebook page for Charli

Moreira Monsalve
... missing since Sunday, Jan 12, 2014
... last seen around 10pm in Wailuku at ex-boyfriend's residence
... her car was found at an auto shop in Kahului (was dropped off by ex-bf)

Facebook page for Moreira

Laura Vogel
... missing since Sunday, Feb 21, 2010
... sent a text to a friend at 8:20pm indicating she was "meeting all the locals" in an area known as the birthing pools in Haiku, in Maui County (she was planning to camp overnight)
... van was found near the Pauwela lighthouse

Websleuths thread

Find Laura Vogel website
Facebook page for Laura

It's uncanny the similarities between Mo and Charli. Both were last known to be with their exbf's.

Weird how Mo's ex was the one who took her car to the auto shop. Didn't she need it to get to his house after she left the University of Maui campus?

Her bag was found in the trash, thrown away like Charli's clothing.

Was Charli's exbf try to replicate what is known about Mo's exbf's actions in her disappearance? He could be thinking of one got away with it, another could? JMO. Speculating, not accusing no one of anything. Honest.

Transcription of Maui PD Press Conference
February 18, 2014

http://mauinow.com/2014/02/18/maui-police-hold-press-conference-on-missing-persons-cases/

(Lots of edits in the videos, indicated by <snip>. Ellipses indicate skipping past O/T bits. Many of the reporters' questions were partially lost due to editing or simply unintelligible.)

JJ: Good afternoon. My name is Captain JJ with the Maui Police Department's Criminal Investigation Division… As I start here, I want to give a little background as to what, uh, for the reason why we're here.

The first case, on January the 14th, approximately 1:16 pm, Moreira "Mo" Monsalve, was reported missing by her daughter, AF. Monsalve was last seen on the 12th of January, about 10pm, by her ex-boyfriend at his residence in Wailuku. The ex-boyfriend was identified as Bernard Brown. On January 16, Monsalve's personal belongings were located within a dumpster at the Wailuku Community Center. Between January 17 and 18, from information and tips we received from the public and community, searches of the Waipoli Road area were conducted, which included search dogs from the Hawaii Civil Defense, as well as members of our detective division and our special response team. On January 23, through his attorney, Mr. Brown declined to give a statement or participate in a polygraph. At this time we have also processed Ms. Monsalve's residence and vehicle for possible evidence, and interviews of the family and friends were conducted to gather all information possible.

A brief synopsis of the second case, on February 10, KS reported her 27-year-old daughter, Carly "Charli" Scott, was missing. Carly Scott was last seen on February 9 at her sister's residence in Haiku. Carly Scott was five months pregnant. Scott's vehicle, a silver 1997 Toyota 4-Runner, license plate MDE 889, was also with her at the time she was reported missing. On February 12, Carly Scott's vehicle was located in the Peahi area. The vehicle was located burnt, as it had been torched by someone, but it was positively identified as belonging to her. On February 13, a private search party located clothing and personal items identified by family members as belonging to Carly Scott. The items were recovered as evidence by police and submitted for processing.

Both incidents at this time remain under investigation. That's a little brief synopsis on both cases involving the missing persons. Again, there are similarities to these case, but we do not believe they are connected in any way, except for being two females both last seen by ex-boyfriends. There's no evidence that these cases are linked. As the chief has mentioned, numerous searches have been conducted throughout Maui, through tips, leads, and other information from other sources, including the FBI, that we have done to locate these two women. We will continue to conduct these searches and follow all leads as they appear or they come in. We encourage the community, the public to call with any information they have, no matter how minute or how small they believe it is, because we will follow up on every lead or tip….

<snip>

JJ: We have been in contact with agents from the FBI and discussing some of the issues that we are facing and that they could possibly help us with, but at this point in time, right now there is no assistance from the FBI at this time, but we are in contact with them at this point.

<snip>

(Reporter question)

JJ: With the FBI, there are certain parameters or nexus that we have to fulfill before we can request their assistance. Right now it's preliminary in nature. We're discussing avenues of what we want to do and our direction of the investigation at this time.

<snip>

(Reporter question)

JJ: I would mention there are persons of interest. No suspects at this time.

Reporter: And can you identify who those persons of interest are?

JJ: Well, obviously persons of interest is people that we believe, especially who had last contact with Ms. Scott and right now one of the persons of interest is her ex-boyfriend. In fact, both cases, I would list them as persons of interest because they had last contact with the persons that are missing.

<snip>

(Reporter question)

JJ: The difference is a person of interest is someone we need to talk to, we need more information from, we'd like to get more information from. A suspect is more of a person we believe had involvement, or we have evidence or probable cause to believe has involvement in the case. So, right now at this time as we're speaking, we do have people of interest, but no suspects at this point in time…

<snip>

JJ: Right now it's still listed as a missing person case. When we receive information or evidence to believe that a crime has been committed, that will be released as such and we will let the public know, well, let the family know first and then go from there.

<snip>

Reporter: As for the Monsalve case, is that still a missing persons case or do you suspect foul play?

JJ: Yes, at this point in time, a missing persons case…

<snip>

(Reporter question)

JJ: I'll go back to what the chief said. He comes in at night and sees my detectives coming in and out of the station. That's happening. A lot of what we're doing may not be known by the public and the families. Things that, because of the nature of the investigation, we will not release, so they might not physically see us out there, or see us in a particular area or hear from us, but we're doing things continuously on an every day basis to help locate these two women….

<snip>

JJ: Basically, if you didn't hear it from us, it's a rumor. And that's pretty much what I will say. A lot of the information coming out that pertains to this investigation, it's not coming from us. So, in other words, it's being fabricated by someone or someone has an idea or an opinion of what's happening and bringing it out publicly, which causes lots of problems, not only for the family, but for us as well trying to do an investigation. There's so many rumors, it's hard to get to all of them because, as they come out, we have to look into it to make sure if it's viable information that we need to follow up on or is it just a rumor. So we're in the process, as we're investigating looking into rumors to see if there's any validity to them.

<snip>

Reporter: Captain, do you have, what's your hunch? Do you think that Mo and Charli are still alive?

JJ: I would rather not answer that question. Based upon the information we're receiving on a daily basis, it's ever-changing, ever-evolving. So, as time goes by, you keep your hopes up and hope the family does as well, as we try to keep our hopes up, because we're going to continue until we find some kind of resolution to both of these missing women….

<snip>

Reporter: Speaking specifically to the persons of interest that you identified, the ex-boyfriend in the Scott case, can you corroborate claims that he's made to Hawaii News Now that he actually volunteered to assist in your interrogation and search efforts?

JJ: I can tell you that we did talk to him. We did interview him and, yes, he did volunteer and cooperate to that extent.

Reporter: Is it true that he passed or failed the polygraph?

JJ: I won't go into specific details of what was said or what happened during the interview. It could jeopardize the investigation. At this point in time, it's going to be kept to us at this point.

<snip>

Reporter: And speaking to the evidence collection, at least what we've been told and, again, this is not coming officially from you guys so, if this is a rumor, this would be your opportunity to tell us otherwise. Some of the evidence collected included packing tape, teeth, blood on the clothing, even maggots in some of the clothing that was discovered that has been identified as belonging to Scott. What would it take for evidence to change status from, again, missing person to suspecting foul play?

JJ: We would have to have evidence that connects either missing person with that clothing or with that evidence that we collected, beyond just someone saying that's a similar type of clothing or that's the type of clothing. So, yes, we're in the process of having evidence that we recovered processed so that we can get that information. And, once that information comes out, then we may, we will come out and mention a change in the classification of the investigation.

<snip>

JJ: Basically what they can do is help solicit information, credible information that we, and like I said, we'll check on any information or tip that is provided to us, whether it's to search a certain area, whether it's to contact someone else. If they know of persons or they can get to the community. Some people are afraid or unwilling to come forward and give that information, and yet they're still holding on to it. If they know someone in the community that can give this information or is willing to give, they can meet with us, we're more than willing to meet with them. I understand they're conducting searches, which is great. I understand that. The family's pushing this and is involved in that and the community's rallying around that and that's something that we realize is going to happen. We just want to make sure they know, if they find something, contact us. Don't move it. Don't change it. It may change the evidentiary value of that item. Call us. We'll come out at any time to make sure we can recover that evidence.

<snip>

Reporter: And we've obviously been focusing a lot on the Scott case. It was actually our understanding that this press conference was specific to that but, since you mentioned Monsalve and the ongoing efforts, are you still in touch with Bernard Brown who, as of today, we understand is a person of interest in that case?

JJ: He's a person of interest. We know that he has left the island. At this point, we know we got some criticism for allowing him to leave. At this time, we had nothing to keep him here. Again, he has rights like everyone else. We had nothing to keep him here so he left the island, and I'm sure if we need to get in touch with him, we can get in touch with him.

Reporter: So you're saying you're not currently in touch with him?

JJ: At this time, no, we're not.

Reporter: Are you still actively searching for Mo?

JJ: We're actively, both cases are open. It's not because the Scott case came about that we kind of left the Monsalve case. Both cases are actively being investigated and will always be open until we can get at some kind of resolution for the families….

<snip>

(Reporter question)

JJ: I can respond to that by saying there are certain rules of evidence, rules of law we have to abide by, so we just can't go busting into people's houses and start searching.

Reporter: After they have vacated the house, you cannot go there and search the property?

JJ: Again, there's rules of law that pertain to renters that we must follow.

Reporter: So that makes your answer no.

JJ: We did not, no. Yes, I can say that.

Reporter: You did not search his house. And did you interview the neighbors?

JJ: I believe all the neighbors were interviewed.

<snip>

(Reporter question)

JJ: I wouldn't say they're impeding. Again, the more eyes, the more people out there searching, it's best. We're not organizing this due to just some liability issues, obviously, that we would have to come across, but what I would tell them is be careful. If you find something, again, don't touch it. Let it stay where it lies. Contact us. If you're not sure if it's something of interest or something of value to the investigation, call us anyway. Let us determine that, rather than picking it up and taking it to another location, and then calling us….

Reporter: I know that you mentioned that the two cases, they're similar but you don't believe they're connected. Have you ruled out the possibility of a serial killer?

JJ: Yes. None of the evidence that we have points to or indicates or suggests a serial killer connection.

Reporter: Can you talk about the clothes that were discovered in the Scott case? Was there any material on it, whether it be blood, hair, or other substance that is not hers?

JJ: At this point, we don't have that information right now. Those materials are being processed at this time.

Reporter: And how long does it take to process them?

JJ: It will be processed in-house here and get ready to be sent to a laboratory for further testing.

Reporter: Will that make the distinction on whether or not you change defining this as a missing persons case?

JJ: Hopefully that would give us more information now to go forward and whether or not to reclassify this case.

<snip>

(Reporter question)

JJ: I'm not saying to look at any one area. I mean, obviously, when someone's missing, anywhere could be the location, so I wouldn't say avoid this area. I would say avoid dangerous areas. I don't want to have outré personnel or the fire department have to go and rescue people who put their lives on the line or make things worse because they're out there scaling mountains or what have you. But as far as an area not to check, that's pretty much where they can check safely. That's up to them.

<snip>

(Reporter question)

JJ: I can tell you that there's some technology being utilized but, because of the type of investigation, I'd rather not go into the details of those, uh, technology right now.

<snip>

(Reporter question)

JJ: When things come up, new items, our detectives are in touch with at least one family member. Now that's because we can't afford to brief every family member that contacts us. As well the Monsalve case. So we're in contact with at least one family member so they're aware of what we're doing or what we are finding out, what we're discovering, to pass that information along to them, hopefully before the media or rumors get out to them. So that's why we're trying to head that off at the pass, trying to keep them aware of what's going on….

<snip>

JJ: I think we're pretty much doing the textbook checklist investigations for these missing persons. It's just a matter of putting resources to both of them, which we're doing. Regardless of both cases, we have the resources to investigate both at one time….

<snip>

JJ: Nothing has surprised me. In a case like this, we understand and we expect the frustration from the family, especially as time goes by, and we share that frustration but we have to keep moving on. We have to keep investigating and following our leads and conducting our searches….

Reporter: Are canines involved in any of the two searches?

JJ: Canines were involved in the, I believe the Waipoli Road search.

Reporter: Other than a half a day's worth of detective work, when would you say the last time Maui PD solved a murder case?

JJ: Last year. Yes. In Molokai. Anything else?

<End>

Reporter: Other than a half a day's worth of detective work, when would you say the last time Maui PD solved a murder case?

JJ: Last year. Yes. In Molokai. Anything else?

Yikes.

I found Mo's case on page 9. She's been missing for only two months. I wish Maui PD would step up the investigation.

I want to bump this so discussion can start again. Any leads? New theories? Are the police still stone-walling? I know some wild theories were flying about about MPD. But why is there nothing going on?
A friend of mine disappeared from Kona back in 2011 without a trace. She left everything behind. Every possible sighting of her was discounted or disregarded as untrue. Her family believes she is deceased. She was having problems with a man who was a sex offender but somehow this man was ruled out.
Last week my son's girlfriend disappeared and we were very worried. We were closest to family on the island so I called in a missing person's report. The officer treated me poorly, implied we were trying to control her... when we were just very worried about her because she has a history of depression and they had been having some issues in their relationship. They have always had issues. But that doesn't mean she would necessarily walk off. I didn't care if she walked away, it only mattered that she was okay, but all the officer could see was a potential 'abuse' situation because we weren't blood relatives, even though I'd been on the phone with her aunt on the mainland and her family was pushing me to call as well. Fortunately she did eventually show up and nothing had happened, but I really felt like HPD did not take us seriously. What if it had been a case? I really truly feel like our police departments need to be subject to an external investigation to ensure that they treat cases as fairly as possible, while not alienating family and shutting them out. The officers at MPD really blew it from what I gather in Mo's disappearance. Now there's some whispering about Honolulu Police Department being involved with sleeping with prostitutes in order to 'bust' them (Pacific Alliance to Stop Slavery has talked to victims of sex trafficking and they've confirmed it). There's actually a law on the books that allows Hawaii's police to sleep with prostitutes in the line of duty and they're apparently finally seeing the problem with it. Hawaii is beautiful folks, but some of the laws and ways of the land are backwards. http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/25105553/senate-panel-votes-to-end-prostitution-exemption-for-police

I hope and pray that Mo is found and her family is able to find some peace.

IMHO, people sometimes disappear for a while, but when a woman disappears, her car and purse are found, and there is no ATM activity on her account, I can only conclude that she is deceased. If I was planning to disappear intentionally, I would take a bunch of cash and credit cards with me. And if I was not with my car, you'd find my car somewhere near the airport.

Also, we have seen more than a few cases where the last person to see the missing woman is her ex-boyfriend, ex-husband, or current partner. And that ex or current partner doesn't show concern for the missing woman, doesn't search for her, displays an arrogant attitude, gets an attorney, sometimes even leaves town, as is the case with Mo.

People say don't jump to conclusions, but sometimes it's just completely obvious what happened. In Mo's case, I wish there were more search activity. I have the same thoughts as I do for Charli's case; first, that it is hard to move a body. Because of that, I would concentrate on searching places that are close to a road, particular a mountain road where a body would just roll downhill. And possibly dumpsters in places with no video surveillance. :twocents:

Seems the family is coming to terms with Mo being gone. They recently had a "Celebration of Life" memorial. Last month, I remember they were going to go and search some more ocean/surf line around the beach. I believe weather stopped that from happening.

https://www.facebook.com/mowatchmoreiramonsalve

Really is tragic that HPD hasn't made an arrest in this case, not even named a POI.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/23732
Status Missing
First name Moreira
Middle name Elena
Last name Monsalve
Nickname/Alias Mo
Date last seen January 12, 2014 01:14
Date entered 03/05/2014
Age last seen 46 to 46 years old
Age now 47 years old
Race White
Ethnicity Hispanic/Latino
Sex Female
Height (inches) 68.0 to 68.4
Weight (pounds) 170.0
Dental Status: Dental information / charting is available and entered
DNA Status: Sample submitted - Tests complete
Fingerprint Information Status: Fingerprint information is available elsewhere

Tomorrow will be one year that Moreira has been missing. Her FB group is planning a rally for justice tomorrow.

Maui Police detective Oran Satterfield say there have been rumors that the case has gone cold but that's not true.
The department continues to be assisted by the FBI, the state Department of Land and Natural Resources, Honolulu police and other agencies.
Monsalve's family plans to hold a rally starting at 4:30 p.m. Monday at Kanaloa and West Kaahumanu avenues.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/20150111_Year_after_Maui_woman_disappears_police_pursue_case.html?id=288205771

'I just want justice' says daughter of missing Maui woman one year after disappearance
Posted: Jan 12, 2015
http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/...sing-maui-mother-one-year-after-disappearance
“I just want justice and I want to find her and I want to get closure and I want to the person that did this to her to be locked up and put away so he can't do it to anybody else," Felicilda said.
Felicilda says although her mother has vanished without a trace, they are still actively searching for her and the Maui Police Department is too, and she is asking the public to not give up.
"There's days when I want to crawl under a rock and tell everybody to leave me alone and just mourn in my own spot. But then there's always that fighter in me that's like no, I have to get to the bottom of this and I have to figure out what happened…solve the puzzle, solve the mystery,” she said.

Telephone interview with Moreira's oldest child in the video at link.

Vigil held for Maui woman 2 years after her disappearance

http://www.dothaneagle.com/news/ap/state/vigil-held-for-maui-woman-years-after-her-disappearance/article_fc648cf3-c70d-5b9c-8f94-01ada6c5457d.html

A candlelight vigil has been held in Wailuku honoring the life of a Maui woman who has been missing for more than two years.

Friends, family and members of the public gathered Tuesday night to remember 46-year-old Moreira Monsalve, who was last seen on Jan. 12, 2014, at her ex-boyfriend's home in Wailuku, The Maui News reported. A purse and other belongings of the mother of three were recovered days later from an industrial trash bin in the area.

Felicilda said police are continuing to search for her mother with cadaver dogs, but she could not provide much detail due to the ongoing investigation.

"They are still actively searching and we have gotten data back and that's what's leading to where we're searching," she said. "Being patient is part of the game but also very hard to do because it's been two years already and you're like, 'All right, have you gotten it yet?'"

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back