HI HI- Rodney "Rocky" Padilla, 21, & Lawrence 'Larry' Martens,19, Marines, fatally beaten & shot, Maunalua Bay Beach Park, Sept '80 *New leads, Reward*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

dotr

Reaction score
Sept. 15, 2023
rbbm
''HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - It’s been 43 years since a high-profile double murder in east Honolulu.
Rodney “Rocky” Padilla and Lawrence “Larry” Martens were murdered at Maunalua Bay Beach Park in September 1980.
New evidence and a new lead investigative agency is giving hope to the Padilla family.
“My mom is 88 years old,” said Joe Padilla, Rocky’s older brother.
A spokesman for NCIS provided Hawaii News Now with a statement that said:
“Based on evidence that HPD recovered, which included writing in the sand nearby in Maunalua Beach Park, NCIS believes that a social gathering may have taken place that may have led to a potential altercation involving the victims. NCIS believes that witnesses may have been present at the time of their deaths.”
That’s more details than Padilla has been able to get in decades.
He does feel that NCIS is devoting resources to his brother’s case and hopes it’s enough.''

In 1980, two Marines murdered in an East Oahu parking lot.

''Thirty-six years later, authorities are stepping up their efforts to find whoever was responsible.
Rodney Padilla, 21, and Lawrence Martens, 19, both lance corporals assigned to the Marine Corps Air Station were found dead at Maunalua Bay Beach Park.
Now the cold case is getting renewed attention thanks to new technology, a family member’s cry for help, and new information.
We spoke to the brother of one of the victims, who came to Hawaii for the first time to plead for information about the case.
Authorities are also boosting the reward to $16,000 in hopes of cracking the case.
“When I received the call that this case is being reopened, I was shocked and overjoyed. This was an answer to my prayers,” said Padilla’s older brother, Joe Padilla.
Joe Padilla describes his little brother, who he called Rocky, as a star athlete in high school, always laughing and joking.
Rocky’s life was cut short at 21 when he was shot and killed. Joe Padilla said Rocky wanted to follow in his footsteps when he got out of the Marines and become a police officer.
“He didn’t deserve it. Nobody had the right to take his life. That was 36 years ago, which is a lifetime,” said Joe Padilla.
Rocky was killed just a few weeks after he returned from his deployment in Afghanistan. Now, investigators are using fresh eyes.''

1694873343165.png
1694873311509.png
Rocky Padilla (Image: CrimeStoppers)

1694873397795.png

''Rocky Padilla had attended Ranum High School. After graduating, he enlisted in the Marines and served overseas for six months.
He was eventually assigned to a marine base at Kaneohe in Hawaii. But in September 1980, Padilla and a second Marine, Lawrence Martens, 19, were found beaten and shot at Maunalua Bay Beach Park on Oahu near a car they had borrowed.''

''Their bodies were found early on the morning of Sept. 7, according to news reports at the time. The reports said police had few leads and were uncertain of the motive for the killings.

"It was horrible," said Joe Padilla. "I felt like jumping on a plane and going and doing my own investigation but obviously that's impossible. It was really tough. You know you have such a sense of closeness with your siblings and not being able to help, it was bad."

US Military has now taken over the investigation..
'Sep 16, 2023
It’s been 43 years since a high-profile double murder in east Honolulu.'

Wishing that they would release the words written in the sand, it might help spark a tip, imo. rbbm
Aug. 29, 2024
''There were words carved in the sand near the bodies, but NICS hasn’t revealed what was written.

Padilla’s brother, Joe, a retired police detective from Colorado, continues to push for answers.
“I still have a lot of faith that it’s going to be solved,” Joe Padilla said. Frustration has set in as the case moved from one agency to the next, with no results.
Hawaii News Now has covered the case multiple times in the last decade, but Padilla said there is more of an urgency now. He fears that more witnesses will die and people will forget details.''
1725027381504.png

US Military has now taken over the investigation..
'Sep 16, 2023
It’s been 43 years since a high-profile double murder in east Honolulu.'

One source states that Manaulua Park at that time was a popular hang out spot for drinking. I suspect that the victims may of been murdered by one or two assailants "after hours" in the early morning.

In the end, secrets are hard to keep. Had there been a fight amongst a group of people, my guess is that the local rumor mill would have been buzzing with who was involved and who was there- leading to quick arrests.

The use of a gun may also indicate experienced criminals instead of brawlers. My vague understanding is that gun crimes are relatively rare in Hawaii (beatings, stabbings etc can be a different matter) and that even rougher inclined locals rarely carry them.

Last edited:
Aug 29 '24 rbbm
'The murders of two young Marines in 1980, Lance Corporals Lawrence “Larry” Martens and Rodney “Rocky” Padilla, have been taken over by the Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS) from the Honolulu Police Dept., and they are calling on the public for help in cracking this long-cold case.'

''They are using modern DNA testing techniques to reexamine evidence from the scene in hopes of identifying a suspect.
Investigators are also intrigued by a cryptic message written in the sand near the crime scene, which they believe could hold vital information about the crime.
“Although I’m not at liberty to discuss right now what that writing said, we do know that somebody was there and wrote something in the sand at the approximate time that this crime occurred,” Curry added.''

“What’s unique is, we have two Marines who are beaten and shot. The big question is, why were they there?”
Over the years, tips have led investigators across the country and even internationally, but the case remains unresolved.''
“Why forget about Rocky? Why forget about Larry? You know, they need help. They need justice.''

'Retired Denver Police Capt. Joe Padilla has been advocating for his little brother's case to be solved. He started a Facebook page, Justice for Rocky Padilla.'
"My mother's still alive. She's 88 years old and we speak about this case weekly... She's got a huge 14 by 16 portrait of Rocky in his uniform in her front room, and she prays to it, she talks to him, and we just need it resolved."
He said it's been doubly hard to watch this case go unsolved, given his law enforcement background.
NCIS Special Agent Leslie Smith said they are fairly confident that someone from the community could help solve the case.''

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tinatrue
Back