Deceased/Not Found HI - Samuel Martinez, 23, from Nebraska, missed flight home, Kauai, 12 May 2021

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Some trails (like the AT) have log books at shelters and overlooks that you can sign.

That's the information I was looking for. Either campsite sign-ins (written logs or actual attendant check-ins) or any type of log books on trails. Basically anything to confirm where he was on any specific day. Or just something beyond "I saw him on the trails".

Found no unusual weather conditions, except wind gusts were higher than average

Waimea, HI Weather History | Weather Underground

I envisioned his sleeping bag rolled and placed above his backpack. Yes, keeping it in a dry bag is a must but spreading it onto dry, opposed to wet or damp, ground were my thoughts.

I'm a diver not a hiker although I've hiked on Oahu and Kauai, I've never stayed in a camp ground.
The grass in Kauai grows waist high in the fields. Very beautiful to see it dance with the wind.
The trails can become slippery when wet. Wet soil on Kauai resembles dark colored mud.

@Hoosier952
The quoted post contains the link I used for determining rainfall on the 14th to be .01"

Does the following data help:
19.95 °N, 155.86 °W
Waimea, HI Weather

I think I found a weather station closer to the state park Samuel was supposed to be camping in. Kekaha, HI Weather Conditions | Weather Underground but when looking at history, it takes me to the Lihue airport history which is farther away. It shows 0" of rain on the 14th. However, I cannot find historical radar images for Hawaii at all, even on Radar Data Map | GIS Maps | National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI) and NOAA reports say haze and light rain with .02" on the 14th for Lihue which is the closest I can find for anything historical.

The weekly/monthly weather history shows less than .25" over Samuel's entire planned stay.

So maybe a tiny bit of rain fell quickly on the 14th and it was raining hard when she saw Samuel. But I still hope it was more than just a witness claiming to see someone who looked like him. He doesn't really have any major identifying features that would make him stand out to me.

I think I found a weather station closer to the state park Samuel was supposed to be camping in. Kekaha, HI Weather Conditions | Weather Underground but when looking at history, it takes me to the Lihue airport history which is farther away. It shows 0" of rain on the 14th. However, I cannot find historical radar images for Hawaii at all, even on Radar Data Map | GIS Maps | National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI) and NOAA reports say haze and light rain with .02" on the 14th for Lihue which is the closest I can find for anything historical.

The weekly/monthly weather history shows less than .25" over Samuel's entire planned stay.

So maybe a tiny bit of rain fell quickly on the 14th and it was raining hard when she saw Samuel. But I still hope it was more than just a witness claiming to see someone who looked like him. He doesn't really have any major identifying features that would make him stand out to me.
When we camp in state and national parks while traveling (even in some remote areas where permits are required), we are assigned a certain campsite number. If that is the case here, perhaps a combination of LE asking if anyone noticed him at all and gave the site where he might have been sleeping enabled another camper to verify it was him. IMO of course, speculative based on if permit is simply required to stay there without specifics.

It's normal for travelers to talk about where they are from when meeting other travelers. I am hoping he mentioned he was from Nebraska and that is the distinguishing feature.

The weather by Lihue would possibly not be the same as where he was hiking. The island has different ecosystems and weather patterns, as I recall from my visits there.

jmo

It's normal for travelers to talk about where they are from when meeting other travelers. I am hoping he mentioned he was from Nebraska and that is the distinguishing feature.

The weather by Lihue would possibly not be the same as where he was hiking. The island has different ecosystems and weather patterns, as I recall from my visits there.

jmo

Good point about him mentioning Nebraska, that would likely be far more memorable than just a visual sighting. I wonder if Samuel was the type to seek out people to talk to on the trails or if he would have waited for someone to talk to him? Also all of the sightings seem to mention him being seen in the Waimea/Kokee area, but all of his camp sites seem to put him firmly in Kokee/Napali-Kona. I may be overthinking it, but does that put him closer to the area where the phone pings were days later or is that just a general description of that whole area?

I thought I recalled reading that weather was different all over the island, but couldn't remember if I read that here or through the various websites I visited trying to get a feel for the trails and camping around the island.

Samuel is in my favorite part of Kauai. It's near where the golden beaches of Princeville are located (saw Tiger Woods at the resort during a golf tournament once).

The weather can be raining where you are but take 50 giant steps in any direction and the sun may be shining. The climate (temps) all over Kauai are basically the same: mild. Kauai's never registered freezing (32°F).

I've tracked Hurricane activity for the islands for decades. They're rare. Kauai ranks the world's second highest location for rain, most of which is in the center of the island or at the peak of the inactive volcano.

The North Shore waters are warm due to the Trade Winds.

It's where the best surfing is located. The food is top notch! Fresh fish, fresh fruits and Puka Dogs w/ mango salsa are a must have.

The people are pleasant and generous. You receive a lei of orchids upon arrival, before dining, at luaus. The Garden Island's only 21sq miles, IIRC.

There's hardly a day that goes by when you don't see a rainbow.

There's a trail where one walks across a swinging bridge that shouldn't be missed. Trails are well-preserved.

Flying slowly over Wiamea Canyon brings grown men to tears.

These are some of the wondrous reasons that prompted our friend, Samuel, to trek this small piece of paradise.

"Who can see Heaven, and not want to stay?" ~ Paul Brady

Last edited:
Samuel is in my favorite part of Kauai. It's near where the golden beaches of Princeville are located (saw Tiger Woods at the resort during a golf tournament once).

The weather can be raining where you are but take 50 giant steps in any direction and the sun may be shining. The climate (temps) all over Kauai are basically the same: mild. Kauai's never registered freezing (32°F).

I've tracked Hurricane activity for the islands for decades. They're rare. Kauai ranks the world's second highest location for rain, most of which is in the center of the island or at the peak of the inactive volcano.

It's where the best surfing is located. The food is top notch! Fresh fish, fresh fruits and Puka Dogs w/ mango salsa are a must have.

The people are pleasant and generous. You receive a lei of orchids upon arrival, before dining, at luaus. The Garden Island's only 21sq miles, IIRC.

There's a trail where one walks across a swinging bridge that shouldn't be missed. Trails are well-preserved.

These are some of the wondrous reasons that prompted our friend, Samuel, to trek this small piece of paradise.

Oh what a great post! I want to go back there! I hope Sam is found soon.

Last edited:

Sounds so beautiful. Thanks for this lovely scenario. I've visited Oahu and Maui, but not yet Kauai. Next spring we booked a Hawaiian vacation for our anniversary and it will take us to all the islands. Now I'm looking forward to Kauai even more.

I sure hope Sam was able to gather in some of this beauty and peacefulness before whatever happened to cause his disappearance. Wouldn't it be nice if he simply became entranced and decided to stay and blend in with the locals?

When we camp in state and national parks while traveling (even in some remote areas where permits are required), we are assigned a certain campsite number. If that is the case here, perhaps a combination of LE asking if anyone noticed him at all and gave the site where he might have been sleeping enabled another camper to verify it was him. IMO of course, speculative based on if permit is simply required to stay there without specifics.
His itinerary has campsite numbers listed on it.

Many here are posting good info and questions. Local LE, first responders and SAR teams are very capable and know the area well. They have searched the areas and swept campsites. I really hope that this kid is found.

It would be helpful if we knew the exact locations Samuel was confirmed to be at. The map that Hoosier952 made is a great idea. We need to solve this and FIND SAMUEL.

CAMP 10
A sleuther asked why only Camp 10 was checked. For whatever reason, that’s the actual name of that campsite. More on campsite numbers later.

CREATURES
Someone asked about venomous creatures. There are black widows, brown violin spiders, scorpions, centipedes. Was Samuel allergic to bee stings?

Kokee has wild boars. These feral pigs have tusks and carry Brucellosis; they can charge when threatened (Wild Pigs are a Growing Threat to Hikers on the Trail). Hunting (gun or bow) is allowed in certain areas, some of which intersect hiking trails or campsites. Hunters must undergo safety classes prior. There are always lost hunting dogs, but rabies is not a factor as this does not exist in Hawaii.

FORAGING
There are no fruit stands in the area as was suggested by a sleuther. There are plum trees, but they are not in season. Guavas are in season, but they are at a lower elevation than Kokee State Park.

New to this discussion...
After reviewing topographic maps of the area and looking at Hoosier952's map I am extremely concerned about Samuel's plan to go (hike?) to the coast from where he was camping inland.
I don't see a way to hike from any of his inland campsites down to the coast.
It looks like impassible terrain in that direction.
Can anyone expand on this?

New to this discussion...
After reviewing topographic maps of the area and looking at Hoosier952's map I am extremely concerned about Samuel's plan to go (hike?) to the coast from where he was camping inland.
I don't see a way to hike from any of his inland campsites down to the coast.
It looks like impassible terrain in that direction.
Can anyone expand on this?

We have no reason to believe Samuel wished to visit beaches as only campsites appear on his itinerary. If my mention of Princeville or surfing confused anyone, it was not my intention.

It's not a matter of hiking "down" to the coast as the island is surrounded by water; however, the coastline does not present sandy beaches all along the coastline. In some areas, it's ocean water meets a mountainous area sans a beach instead.

Kauai's gorgeous topography is an attraction unto itself. The sheer cliffs are thickly covered with lush green plants, bushes and trees. One must be cautious and remain on designated trails. Hiking a foreign land solo is a concern due to possible injuries and other reasons as previously discussed.

Samuel has been described as physically fit. He's an experienced hiker. There's no reason to believe he would throw caution to the wind while on this adventure.

Many here are posting good info and questions. Local LE, first responders and SAR teams are very capable and know the area well. They have searched the areas and swept campsites. I really hope that this kid is found.

It would be helpful if we knew the exact locations Samuel was confirmed to be at. The map that Hoosier952 made is a great idea. We need to solve this and FIND SAMUEL.

CAMP 10
A sleuther asked why only Camp 10 was checked. For whatever reason, that’s the actual name of that campsite. More on campsite numbers later.

CREATURES
Someone asked about venomous creatures. There are black widows, brown violin spiders, scorpions, centipedes. Was Samuel allergic to bee stings?

Kokee has wild boars. These feral pigs have tusks and carry Brucellosis; they can charge when threatened (Wild Pigs are a Growing Threat to Hikers on the Trail). Hunting (gun or bow) is allowed in certain areas, some of which intersect hiking trails or campsites. Hunters must undergo safety classes prior. There are always lost hunting dogs, but rabies is not a factor as this does not exist in Hawaii.

FORAGING
There are no fruit stands in the area as was suggested by a sleuther. There are plum trees, but they are not in season. Guavas are in season, but they are at a lower elevation than Kokee State Park.

Great post! Thank you for joining the discussions.

There are individual fruit cages but they are placed at entry/exit points of the landowners' property. You are correct in that while on a designated trail, fruit cages are not likely to be found. The fact was mentioned in an attempt to note the islanders are generally trusting people. If hitch hiking along a road to get to a particular site, then Samuel could have passed one.

The venomous centipedes present with brilliant red or reddish orange markings. They're plump and long. Brown recluse prefer to remain hidden where they blend in w/ the trees and such. Don't black widows typically prefer a dark, secreted place as well? If Samuel were in contact with one of the poisonous critters, would he leave the trail system in order to seek help?

It's advantageous to be aware of dangerous creatures. Hopefully an experienced hiker would research an area where he's going to hike in order to learn of possible encounters w/ dangers.

We have no reason to believe Samuel wished to visit beaches as only campsites appear on his itinerary.

Samuel has been described as physically fit. He's an experienced hiker. There's no reason to believe he would throw caution to the wind while on this adventure.

According to Hoosier952's map campsite #4 is on the beach. That's what I was referring to when I said hiking down to the coast.
In the news story below his parents say that he had a reservation for the coastal trail.

How was he planning to get to his reserved campsite on the coast from where was camping in the state park?
Hike there?
Hitchhike for 2.5 hours between each trailhead?

Samuel was actually described as an inexperienced hiker...

"He has hiked before but he's not experienced," Ted Martinez said

Kaua'i safety officials scour hiking trails for Nebraska man who has been missing for 5 days

Someone also mentioned that his backpack, tent, and sleeping bag were recent purchases which IMO indicates he was very new to backpacking

Last edited:
According to Hoosier952's map campsite #4 is on the beach. That's what I was referring to when I said hiking down to the coast.
In the news story below his parents say that he had a reservation for the coastal trail.

How was he planning to get to his reserved campsite on the coast from where was camping in the state park?
Hike there?
Hitchhike for 2.5 hours between each trailhead?

Samuel was actually described as an inexperienced hiker...

"He has hiked before but he's not experienced," Ted Martinez said

Kaua'i safety officials scour hiking trails for Nebraska man who has been missing for 5 days

Someone also mentioned that his backpack, tent, and sleeping bag were recent purchases which IMO indicates he was very new to backpacking

Thank you, protectwomenandgirls, for correcting my assumption. I'm stuck with Samuel on the second day since there's been no further confirmations.

I believe his parents said he was an experienced hiker but had not experienced anything like Kauai. It is not like anywhere in the contiguous states.

I've become overcome juxtaposing the island's treasures with a lost and not yet found eager, young man. I don't understand how this could happen. There is treachery of a sort involved, I fear.

Thank you, protectwomenandgirls, for correcting my assumption. I'm stuck with Samuel on the second day since there's been no further confirmations.

I believe his parents said he was an experienced hiker but had not experienced anything like Kauai. It is not like anywhere in the contiguous states.

I've become overcome juxtaposing the island's treasures with a lost and not yet found eager, young man. I don't understand how this could happen. There is treachery of a sort involved, I fear.

No problem, just wanted to point out that his reserved campsite in the state park was very far away from his reserved campsite on the beach.
This, along with a lack of experience, was what really stuck out to me.
I'm hoping that Sam has been staying somewhere else on the island and has just lost track of time

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lamonara
Back