Hope for Hailey.org

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW - Charitable status (501c3) is not the same as a non profit organization.

Charities are held to a slightly higher standard of auditing, but non profits can be private, both are open to abuse of course but they don't require automatic public accountability.

It is a shame. Very dishearting to think you have to think of stuff like this when your child is missing.

Maybe we should add that the what to do if your child goes missing thread. Protecting other people from fraud using your childs picture to drum up funds for whatever.

Don't know if this should go here but this happened in my county,
I observed a canister at a few of our local gas stations with a picture of a missing child on it and it was asking for donations for the searchers...

Well, because I am a member here on WS,

I thought I would look her up here and see what the whole story was...

Well, she had been missing 3 years ago and had been found already....

I notified my brother at the sheriff’s department, and the people who were putting those canisters out were arrested and spent time in jail...

Unless her name is trademarked (as was Madeleine McCann) along with her image, then it is legal.

The pics became public domain once they were released via multi media outlets.

I drove myself crazy following the money in the MM case and don't dare venture there again.

Missing children are BIG business, and not just the families are cashing in.

Sitting on my hands now.

If a missing or murdered child's name is trademarked, does the media have to pay money every time they write an article about that child? If someone decided to write a book about the case, would they have to pay money to the child's parents?

Also, I don't know about pictures of missing/murdered children becoming public domain after they are released by the media because I know in JonBenet's case, all of her pictures and videos are owned by a photo agency and whenever a media outlet wants to use one of her pictures or videos, they have to pay a fee to the agency. Maybe it's different in the UK vs. US?

And from that site, we have this jewel.........

Priscilla Luong has a challenge to extend to KTAB viewers... I know there's a LOT of hope for Hailey, and thousands who are praying for her. Now, I want you guys to show me how you support Hailey Dunn! Send me pictures of you and your family rocking the Hailey gear at pluong@ktab.tv

Are you freaking kidding me? "rocking the Hailey gear"? :banghead: Just who all is making money off of this child?

Wonder if the money will be held in her reward a/c? Just how long and where will the money go if the account is closed? JMO...something outlandish...not only hinky.

She has been saked several questions, but the most popular is "where can I find Hailey gear?" Are you kidding me......how about "Where's Hailey?", "What is LE telling you?", omg.......what a reporter.

As I visit with people across the region about this case, I have been asked several questions about Hailey, facing Nancy Grace on HLN, the search efforts, and the investigation, but the most popular question folks ask me:

"Where can I get 'Find Hailey' gear?

http://bigcountryhomepage.com/news-blog-stylefile

I have a feeling if this reporter bent over far enough we'd see her neck protruding from her arse.

The Doggy T-Shirt (You can count Hailey's dog Chico in on this one) $18.00

Really??????????

The Messenger Bag (I squealed with joy when I saw the sunshine yellow!) $25.00

"Squealed with joy", did ya? OMG.

I agree teh, this is so beyond tacky.

So how long has this merchandise been available at cafepress? It doesn't look like the shirts that CD and NS were wearing at that rally. All of their stuff had the Hope for Hailey.org logo. I don't see any of that on cafepress. Is that what they are going to be selling on the website? So who is selling this other stuff? How can you find out? Someone obviously gave a bear to BD so does she approve of this and doesn't she wonder why the reward has never gone up? :waitasec:

Will be interesting to see if this info is "updated" on either website.

Where in the heck are all the pictures of Hailey?
No pictures of her cheer leading at a game.
No pictures of her playing the sax.
No pictures at six flags.
No birthday pictures.
No family pictures.
No pictures of her and DD.
Where in the heck are all the pictures of Hailey?

Sadly, they are probably on the *%&#@! memory stick!

Everyone needs to call the station manager and file a complaint. This is absurd but then again it's typical Abilene media, they stumble with words during reports and more often than not speak before all the details are known.

Profiting over a lost child, what's going to be next?

Their reporting I've seen in the studio reminds of SNL. Seriously.

I was glad to see that the "Merchandise" tab has been removed from the web page until non-profit status is in place.

Imo, contributions for flyers, searches, and reward money is no problem. Just post a statement on the website that the account is independently monitored, goes directly into *advertiser censored* bank, and is guaranteed to be dispersed only to the search/reward accounts by the independent administrator. Done. I'm not sure why merchandise (other than basic t-shirts possibly to keep Hailey's face out there) is even necessary. Why set up a cost-bearing operation if not to make money? Donations is much more efficient if you're not interested in profit. I'd much sooner contribute $20 to a monitored account than purchase a Hailey tote. JMO.

Now, I will be interested in seeing what kind of news and updates are posted on the site. Hopefully solid information that is not available daily through the news orgs. I hope in some way that this site helps Hailey...

"I'm not sure why merchandise (other than basic t-shirts possibly to keep Hailey's face out there) is even necessary. Why set up a cost-bearing operation if not to make money? Donations is much more efficient if you're not interested in profit. I'd much sooner contribute $20 to a monitored account than purchase a Hailey tote. JMO."
====================================================

I AGREE COMPLETELY. How much time and effort did it take to designb and manufacture all of those extraneous items? And how big a profit margin is there to make it profitable?

I still think it is out of line to have totes and shoelaces etc. Basic T-shirts, fine. all of the other stuff seems useless imo.

If a missing or murdered child's name is trademarked, does the media have to pay money every time they write an article about that child? If someone decided to write a book about the case, would they have to pay money to the child's parents?

Also, I don't know about pictures of missing/murdered children becoming public domain after they are released by the media because I know in JonBenet's case, all of her pictures and videos are owned by a photo agency and whenever a media outlet wants to use one of her pictures or videos, they have to pay a fee to the agency. Maybe it's different in the UK vs. US?

It is very similar in the US (I am in Fl but originate from the UK), in fact the US has less stringent rules about such things.

The photo agencies 'license' the photo usage, it it their (the photo agency) property, not the property of the person photographed.

It's all about an 'expectation of privacy' and the courts will likely rule that a missing person (or a deceased one) has given up that right (usually a decision made by the next o kin) once photos/videos are released to the public.

ETA --- I do not suggest that parents start trademarking their childs name or image when they go missing, it can send a message of 'cashing in'. Whilst the searchers have set up a store to raise funds for whatever reason......well so have the parents!. We don't even have a "reason" for their fundraising.

Shoot - I said I wasn't going to revisit this particular angle again. It makes me so very angry.

"I'm not sure why merchandise (other than basic t-shirts possibly to keep Hailey's face out there) is even necessary. Why set up a cost-bearing operation if not to make money? Donations is much more efficient if you're not interested in profit. I'd much sooner contribute $20 to a monitored account than purchase a Hailey tote. JMO."
====================================================

I AGREE COMPLETELY. How much time and effort did it take to designb and manufacture all of those extraneous items? And how big a profit margin is there to make it profitable?

I still think it is out of line to have totes and shoelaces etc. Basic T-shirts, fine. all of the other stuff seems useless imo.

Anyone can open a cafe press store (and with minimal or zero outlay).
You upload a pic of your logo/funny saying/photograph and they superimpose it over their blanks for display purposes. Items are only printed once an order has been placed and you get to profit whatever the overage is.

Rubber bracelets require a pre-order but can be purchased for about 25 cents each when ordering 500.

(cafe press info is from a webstore I used over 4 years ago and may be dated a little)

It is very similar in the US (I am in Fl but originate from the UK), in fact the US has less stringent rules about such things.

The photo agencies 'license' the photo usage, it it their (the photo agency) property, not the property of the person photographed.

It's all about an 'expectation of privacy' and the courts will likely rule that a missing person (or a deceased one) has given up that right (usually a decision made by the next o kin) once photos/videos are released to the public.

ETA --- I do not suggest that parents start trademarking their childs name or image when they go missing, it can send a message of 'cashing in'. Whilst the searchers have set up a store to raise funds for whatever reason......well so have the parents!. We don't even have a "reason" for their fundraising.

Shoot - I said I wasn't going to revisit this particular angle again. It makes me so very angry.

I've noticed that in many missing/murdered children cases, the media tends to use the same picture over and over; for example, Samantha Runnion's red shirt picture or the baseball picture of Adam Walsh. Is that because the parents of that child just gave a few pictures to an agency so when the media needed a picture, they could just go through the agency instead of having to contact the parents every time? I've also been curious about why many children with a decent amount of national media attention have the same 2-3 pictures of them used over and over.

ETA: If the agency is paying for these pictures from the parents, then I could see why the agency wouldn't be willing to pay for 500 pictures of the child so I guess that could explain why there seems to be a lack of picture in most cases.

As someone who used to make websites... I think they used a template, and the site is still a work in progress. The "merchandise" page may have been part of the template while they personalized the page. It's gone now, and I'm sure many things will be changed in the coming weeks. Nothing to be upset about... give them time : )

♥Hope For Hailey♥

As someone who used to make websites... I think they used a template, and the site is still a work in progress. The "merchandise" page may have been part of the template while they personalized the page. It's gone now, and I'm sure many things will be changed in the coming weeks. Nothing to be upset about... give them time : )

♥Hope For Hailey♥

No, they had intended to sell merchandise, that was plainly stated. They must have removed it when everyone started questioning it. Actually you can read why it was removed here:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130417"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

And I still want to know what's up with the zazzle or whatever it's called site. I want to know if there have been any profits from that and if so where did they go?

I've noticed that in many missing/murdered children cases, the media tends to use the same picture over and over; for example, Samantha Runnion's red shirt picture or the baseball picture of Adam Walsh. Is that because the parents of that child just gave a few pictures to an agency so when the media needed a picture, they could just go through the agency instead of having to contact the parents every time? I've also been curious about why many children with a decent amount of national media attention have the same 2-3 pictures of them used over and over.

ETA: If the agency is paying for these pictures from the parents, then I could see why the agency wouldn't be willing to pay for 500 pictures of the child so I guess that could explain why there seems to be a lack of picture in most cases.

If the pic is either freely released by the family (or bought by an agency), it is often the one most used by media outlets.

Agencies often have agreements with the family to limit the release of pics (rendering their own purchase worthless otherwise).

The McCanns trademarked their child so that only they could profit from the use of her name or image(s).

The Anthony family "licensed" pics of their grandchild to various media shows as a method of circumventing the "We don't pay for interviews" claims. Hence each show/station shows it's own purchased pics.

Others sell some to agencies, who then try to limit the release of additional pics in order to recoup their investment.

Most simply provide as many pics as will show what their loved one looks like for FREE since it gets the name, face and info out into the public eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sleuthchic