Hot air balloon catches fire over Virginia; search on for 3 people

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm baffled as to why they are having difficulty finding the wreckage, unless the brightly colored balloon totally burned I suppose.

I'm not surprised at all. The woods there are like the woods here. Very dense, and almost impossible to navigate.

I'm not surprised at all. The woods there are like the woods here. Very dense, and almost impossible to navigate.

I live near a small airport & skydiving business. There's usually a death every year. Sometimes they get caught up high, in trees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the video footage here it shows how close the balloon came to the ground at first. I wish those poor people had jumped then.

http://youtu.be/wejkS0pkL-A

I think that's still incredibly high and probably not a survivable drop.

It's just awful isn't it?

I don't know about anyone else, but the worst case scenario always plays out in my head before I do something. It's what keeps my feet on the ground, and the reason I don't skydive, bungee jump, go up in a hot air balloon, parasail, cruise...nope nope

I've always wondered if the people that enjoy doing those things have a different loop playing in their heads than I do?

I think that's still incredibly high and probably not a survivable drop.

It's just awful isn't it?

I don't know about anyone else, but the worst case scenario always plays out in my head before I do something. It's what keeps my feet on the ground, and the reason I don't skydive, bungee jump, go up in a hot air balloon, parasail, cruise...nope nope

I've always wondered if the people that enjoy doing those things have a different loop playing in their heads than I do?

There are two historical newsreels on just this subject that have always haunted me; one was the Hindenburg airship catching fire and the newscaster's words; 'Oh, the humanity!'

The other was also an airship, which broke loose from its moorings with a bunch of sailors hanging onto the guy ropes. Some let go quick and lived. Some hung on a minute too long, went up with the airship, and died when they fell. I can't recall the name of that one now.

I don't know. Life would not be life without risks, but there do seem to be an awful lot of accidents around these kind of airborne pursuits. And bungee jumping. That's just insane.

ETA: It was the USS Akron. From the comments below the article, it looks like the writer managed to discover relatives of the single survivor of the ascent.
http://jeffwise.net/2011/01/05/mind-traps-the-fatal-mistake-of-hanging-on-too-long-2/

Oh God!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...died-blunt-force-trauma-one-burned-alive.html

Tragic final moments of balloon victims revealed: Basketball coach burned alive when hot air balloon burst into flames while two fellow passengers died of blunt force trauma after fall from basket

harabyju.jpg

:rose:
veza8a8y.jpg

ygege4e8.jpg

From above link

According to investigators, the probable cause for the crash was the fact that Kirk noticed the power lines late in his approach, which didn't give him enough time to clear the lines before landing.

The report added that as there appeared to be 'no preexisting mechanical anomalies with the balloon'.

However, other pilots who were flying the balloons that day said that the power lines were not marked on a map given to them before the flight.

The balloon's wreckage was found about six miles from the power lines, and autopsies later revealed that Lewis died from the fire, and Doyle and the pilot from blunt-force trauma - likely from jumping to their deaths.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...port-blaming-tragedy-pilot.html#ixzz3Zm8445VN

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MandyLynn1109
Back