How Did the Side Door Get Opened?/Door Locks/Use of Cinder Block**REVISITED**

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Where did the information come from regarding the dogs tracking Haleigh out the backdoor? It was stated by LE early on the bloodhound handlers took the bedding outside and placed it on the ramp themselves to give the dogs a better "mark".

The producer tossed a shirt or towel or something onto the clean floor (no laundry on the floor at the time of the NG show) to show how it could block the big door with little or no effort. Teresa stood by quietly watching the demonstration until NG asked her outright whether there was laundry on the floor that evening.
Yeah, that sounds about right.

If I recall, she said something to the effect that it was entirely likely.

It would be interesting to know if Haleigh's prints were on the door either inside or outside. Especially since Ron said they didn't use that door and that she couldn't reach it.

I'm assuming that the side door & back door are the same thing.

Anyhow, if they seldom/never use this door, it seems that they are checking that it's locked alot. We use the kitchen door most of the time (little ones call it the front door), and I have found my living room door unlocked, usually because someone has gone & gotten the mail and gotten sidetracked.

Where did the information come from regarding the dogs tracking Haleigh out the backdoor? It was stated by LE early on the bloodhound handlers took the bedding outside and placed it on the ramp themselves to give the dogs a better "mark".

SS I read that the dog tracked out the back door...I think maybe in the initial incident report, but I thought that dog was the K-9 not the bloodhounds.

The cement block or brick is the answer to this crime. Why? It was used (or alleged to be used) to hold open the outside door to the mobile home.

Ron: claims to not have known about the cement block. Ron claims to have kept that door locked (with no cement blocks used to prop open). He never mentioned any history of propping the door open with a block. Apparently, there was/is a pile of these types of blocks on the property and Ron seemed only vaguely familiar with that fact.

Misty: claims that she saw the cement block propping open the door after she woke up and found Haleigh missing. Misty claims to have also kept said door locked and without cement block ever being used to prop open. She also denies propping open the door.

It appears that Ron and Misty (going by their own statements) never used this block or any of these blocks to prop open that door.

So, whatever material (fibers, prints, DNA, etc.) is on that block is the person who perpetrated (or helped perp) this crime.

If Ron or Misty's DNA or fibers from what they were wearing is found on that block it is not going to look good. Why? Because they never said it was a habit of theirs to prop open the door with any blocks. If a perp's DNA or any unknown fibers are found on the cement block, then I'd go with the intruder theory.

Cement blocks are HEAVY and the perpetrator likely picked it up with both hands, maybe even rested it against his or her shirt as it was carried to the door.

The evidence gleaned from this block should lead LE in whatever direction they need to go.

I bet dollars to doughnuts fibers were found on that block!

FWIW...in the 911 call I noted Misty trying to explain to the operator about the block first says something about it being on the "floor" IIRC, then, she expands to explain on the ramp, IIRC. Maybe nothing...maybe something...:waitasec:

We can only speculate on the little shreds of information we have, but, when/if we learn the as-found status of the solid door I think it tells us something.

One props a doorway (2-doors in this case) open for a variety of reasons.

1) One will be carrying a heavy/awkward load through a self-closing doorway by oneself without the assistance of someone to help hold the door...or even if one has someone to help hold one door if/when the 2nd door swings in the opposite direction as I believe these doors function.

2) One wants to carry an awkward load through same without damaging the load or the doorway

3) One wants to naturally cool a room

4) One wants to naturally ventilate a room ;)

5) One will be carrying several loads, even small-to-medium, through the doorway and wishes to do so quickly, and/or, without the nuisance of operating the doors.

6) One wants to stage an egress which points away from the occupants of the home (*Indigo)

...anyone wanna add 7, 8, 9 etc.?

...and of course, the list gets longer to compare the reasons only 1 door would be propped open and the other would be ajar.

...and plus 1 that for only 1 door propped open and the other latched

IMHO, We can speculate on which of the above is the more likely motive based on the manner in which doors were propped. And based on the motive..better speculate on who was responsible for propping it open.

Early in the case we spent some time discussing the block itself...and...upon searching this afternoon I cannot find a thread dedicated to the block. Sooo....I'm off to create one and will include the option to discuss whether or not it was solely responsible for holding both doors, or if something else was employed. I see the close connection w/ this thread, however, IMHO, the prop itself is as independently important to solving this as is "How [Did] The Side Door Get Opened". Hopefully we'll see it explored enough to stand on its own merit.

The cement block or brick is the answer to this crime. Why? It was used (or alleged to be used) to hold open the outside door to the mobile home.

Ron: claims to not have known about the cement block. Ron claims to have kept that door locked (with no cement blocks used to prop open). He never mentioned any history of propping the door open with a block. Apparently, there was/is a pile of these types of blocks on the property and Ron seemed only vaguely familiar with that fact.

Misty: claims that she saw the cement block propping open the door after she woke up and found Haleigh missing. Misty claims to have also kept said door locked and without cement block ever being used to prop open. She also denies propping open the door.

It appears that Ron and Misty (going by their own statements) never used this block or any of these blocks to prop open that door.

So, whatever material (fibers, prints, DNA, etc.) is on that block is the person who perpetrated (or helped perp) this crime.

If Ron or Misty's DNA or fibers from what they were wearing is found on that block it is not going to look good. Why? Because they never said it was a habit of theirs to prop open the door with any blocks. If a perp's DNA or any unknown fibers are found on the cement block, then I'd go with the intruder theory.

Cement blocks are HEAVY and the perpetrator likely picked it up with both hands, maybe even rested it against his or her shirt as it was carried to the door.

The evidence gleaned from this block should lead LE in whatever direction they need to go.

Excellent thinking, if it was one of those big cinder blocks. Do we know for sure that it was a big block like that, that one would have to pick up 2 handed?

I agree on that though cause even my husband....who is a big strong man.....lol....would pick up a cinder block with 2 hands.

I don't know how easily you can lift prints off a cement block or brick nor how much detail you would be able to obtain from them due to the porus nature of the cement...

I bet dollars to doughnuts fibers were found on that block!
I sure hope they have found something, it seems that they are keeping, whatever information they do have, close to the vest. There has to be something, fibers, fingerprints, DNA, something ! I hope they get a break in this case sometime soon.

Early in the case we spent some time discussing the block itself...and...upon searching this afternoon I cannot find a thread dedicated to the block. Sooo....I'm off to create one and will include the option to discuss whether or not it was solely responsible for holding both doors, or if something else was employed. I see the close connection w/ this thread, however, IMHO, the prop itself is as independently important to solving this as is "How [Did] The Side Door Get Opened". Hopefully we'll see it explored enough to stand on its own merit.

Good luck, Bond. I created a block thread in the last five minutes and it was merged here...

I don't know how easily you can lift prints off a cement block or brick nor how much detail you would be able to obtain from them due to the porus nature of the cement...

I agree. However, I think it is a perfect medium to pick up fibers from whatever the perp was wearing. Fibers are on EVERYTHING and a rough cement block (especially if laid on one's chest while being carried) would likely have fibers clinging to it.

We're discussing the door here, so other threads started pertaining to the door will be merged to this thread. I have included in the 'title' the Cinder Block

The reason I think the cement block is so key is because it does not seem to be anything that Ron and Misty use (by habit) or even are really aware. From what I gathered from reports, there was a pile of them somewhere on the property and no notice was taken of them. Hence, there would really be no reason for Ron and/or Misty's DNA (skin cells), fibers similar to what they were wearing on the night in question, etc. to be on the cement block.

The 911 operator even told them both not to touch the door so one would assume they did not handle the block after the call.

I think whatever evidence can be gleaned from the block points to the perp.

FWIW...in the 911 call I noted Misty trying to explain to the operator about the block first says something about it being on the "floor" IIRC, then, she expands to explain on the ramp, IIRC. Maybe nothing...maybe something...:waitasec:

We can only speculate on the little shreds of information we have, but, when/if we learn the as-found status of the solid door I think it tells us something.

One props a doorway (2-doors in this case) open for a variety of reasons.

1) One will be carrying a heavy/awkward load through a self-closing doorway by oneself without the assistance of someone to help hold the door...or even if one has someone to help hold one door if/when the 2nd door swings in the opposite direction as I believe these doors function.

2) One wants to carry an awkward load through same without damaging the load or the doorway

4) One wants to naturally ventilate a room ;)

5) One will be carrying several loads, even small-to-medium, through the doorway and wishes to do so quickly, and/or, without the nuisance of operating the doors.

...anyone wanna add 6, 7, 8 etc.?

...and of course, the list gets longer to compare the reasons only 1 door would be propped open and the other would be ajar.

...and plus 1 that for only 1 door propped open and the other latched

IMHO, We can speculate on which of the above is the more likely motive based on the manner in which doors were propped. And based on the motive..better speculate on who was responsible for propping it open.

Hi there, BondJamesBond! Good to see you here.:smile: Here's a possible #6 for your consideration:

One wants to stage a point of entry/egress which points away from the occupants of the home

Good luck, Bond. I created a block thread in the last five minutes and it was merged here...

Thanks, Theonly1. Well...if that's the way its gonna be...then...

Thanks to Debs for providing the following 911 transcript I snipped from another post. Bold & colors by me.

Misty made the statement, and then was asked by the 911 operator to clarify what she said.

911: “911, what’s your emergency”
Misty Croslin: “Hi…umm…I just woke up…and our backdoor was wide open and I think…and I can’t find our daughter”
911: “you can’t find what?”
Misty Croslin:”our daughter”
911:” OK, what’s your address?
Misty Croslin: “(inaudible)”
911: “OK, what’s the numerical?”
Misty Croslin: “The numerical…what’s that?”
911: “the number…green lane?”
Misty Croslin: “Yes”
911: “OK when did you last see her?”
Misty Croslin: “Um, we like just, you know…it was about 10 o’clock- she was sleeping- I was cleaning…
911: “OK- how old is your daughter?”
Misty Croslin: “She’s five”
911: “Ok…what was she last seen wearing? Maam…”
Misty Croslin: “She was in her pajamas- she was sleeping…”

911: “OK…alright…You said your back door was wide open?”
Misty Croslin: “yes- it was bricked- there was a brick on the floor…when I was asleep it was not like that.”
911: Ok…the back door…listen to me…your back door was wide open…what are you talking about a brick?”
Misty Croslin: “(inaudible)”
911: “what is a brick?”
Misty Croslin: “it’s almost like– on the stairs- we have a walkway…”
911:” uh huh….and there was a brick laying there?”
Misty Croslin: “yes…it’s still there”

Observations:

1) Misty seems to struggle to explain that they have a ramp in her "on the stairs - we have a walkway...". That she used the word "floor" to first describe where the brick was located maybe attributed to her struggle to find the right words to describe the ramp...maybe...

2) Despite several references, all are consistently singular, indicating only 1 brick was involved, and it was responsible for holding the exterior door open

Comments:

A) The choice of words to explain, "when I was sleeping it was not like that" strike me as odd. Maybe nothing, but, this was Misty's utterance instead of "when I went to bed...", or, "when I was cleaning..."

B) "Wide open" certainly paints a picture to me of both doors being open. I am fighting that natural tendency to see it this way. And just hafta acknowledge that..."wide open" could just as easily and legitimately describe only the exterior door being propped open as both. As far as I know we heard that Misty 'ran around' as one would expect in search of a missing child, but, we don't hear how Misty learned that the exterior door was propped open. For example: Did she hafta open the interior door to see the exterior door condition? She didn't comment in the 911 call about the status of the door being unlocked...only asked Ron about if he locked it or not IIRC. Did she run around outside calling for Haleigh and saw the exterior door propped open?

C) OT to the door, but, Misty's response to "When did you last see her?" throws a bunch-o-red-flags to me. Save that for another thread ;)

D) Has it been revealed with certainty WHERE the brick came from? I've heard there are some nearby...but...how close are they? Is this just speculation, or has it been confirmed by LE or any reputable source? EXACTLY where did the brick come from?

E) I've read varying descriptions of the block. From cinder block to brick to paver...Do we have any pictures?

*snipping & quoting myself...bad form and all :blushing:*

Any indication that the AC repairman used/or would have used this door if he was, perhaps, working on the AC unit in & out of the house...back & forth to his vehicle for tools/parts, etc.?

Any information on what type of AC unit was being repaired? Heat pump? Window unit?
Where located?
What time did he start his work?
Who was present when he was present?
Was he accounted for at service calls afterwards?
What time he completed his work?
Was the unit repaired when he left...or was he to return later?

IIRC, Ron indicated he checked the door before leaving for work...but I'm willing to overlook that claim for the time being...

...and I'm expecting the answer "We don't know" to all of the above...but...WTH :)

It would be interesting to see if investigators found the source of the cinder block to be in this location:

GRACE: Do you know where the cinderblock came from that was propping the door open?

CUMMINGS: Don`t have a clue. I don`t mess with none of that, so I don`t
know. I very rarely am in the back yard at all unless I`m washing my
car. So it could have came from around my shed. I`m renting. I don`t
know if the previous renters had it or what, but I`ve never seen it, I
don`t believe.
GRACE: So to your knowledge, you`ve never seen it.
CUMMINGS: Not that I believe. I mean, I may be mistaken and have seen it before, but I know it wasn`t where it`s at now.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0902/11/ng.01.html

*snipping & quoting myself...bad form and all :blushing:*

Any indication that the AC repairman used/or would have used this door if he was, perhaps, working on the AC unit in & out of the house...back & forth to his vehicle for tools/parts, etc.?

Any information on what type of AC unit was being repaired? Heat pump? Window unit?
Where located?
What time did he start his work?
Who was present when he was present?
Was he accounted for at service calls afterwards?
What time he completed his work?
Was the unit repaired when he left...or was he to return later?

IIRC, Ron indicated he checked the door before leaving for work...but I'm willing to overlook that claim for the time being...

...and I'm expecting the answer "We don't know" to all of the above...but...WTH :)

They have central air/heat in the house so all work on the AC is done outside. The AC repairman would go inside the house and turn the thermostat on to check the registers to see how cold or how hot the air is coming out of the registers, or perhaps turn off the thermostat to work on the AC. Most of the times the thermostat is located within the living room/dining room area of the house.

My AC man comes to my front door to turn off my AC goes out my front door to work on my AC, which is at the back of my house, right by my back door. He comes back into my house the way he arrived through the front door.

Normal hours of AC repair service 8 - 5. Ron was probably still home when the AC repairman came to the house as he goes to work after he gets Haleigh.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BEllis9801
Back