How old is too old for trick-or-treating?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Well my son is back -- with 3 big bowls of candy no less. He did have one unfortunate experience with a grumpy old man. He opened the door, said it's after 8:00, and you (3) are too old to be T'ting. Then he went on to say "if you don't get off my front porch, I'm going to call the police".

Good Lord, I'm lucky my son didn't get shot.

Why did this idiot even open the door?

On another note, we only had one lot of t'trs tonight :( I have enough candy in this house to last a year!

Happy Halloween everyone.

Mel

We have been having several home invasions lately. Hubby will be at a party that night so I will be dark and for sure not answering the door. I hate that such a fun holiday has been ruined for so many. I remember the days of candy apples and popcorn balls. You were eating them before you got off the porch. Boy those were great times.

Oh thanks for the memories. The first thing I did when my son got home was go thru all his candy. Yes, I tossed quite a few (you know, the christmas mints from last year), but all in all it was safe stuff. No candy apples or popcorn balls though :( And, yes, I took the boxes of "dots" -- my all time favorite candy!

Mel

I don't care how old trick or treaters are. If one is too afraid to open the door just don't turn the light on. I could care less if they were all young adults, as long as they have a costume.

I get annoyed more at the people who don't adhere to the trick or treat hours. I think ending at 7pm is a bit lame and too early, so I don't mind late stragglers before 8 but someone was out at 9 this evening and our trick or treat ended at 7! (btw the ONLY late stragglers where the one group I saw at 9pm - and our trick or treat started at 2)
Because of daylight savings time, we didn't start 'till after 7 tonight. Usually Halloween goes around this area 'till 9 or 9:30 for the teenagers, or until we're out of candy and close up shop!

Candy really isn't good for you, an obvious point.
So what? A lot of things aren't good for you, and I don't routinely buy candy the rest of the year. I eat quite a bit of my daughter's Halloween loot! In the past, I have dressed up and gone out with my daughter. I don't see a problem with it, nor should there be age restrictions on trick-or-treating if you feel like doing it, but there should be a costume! Our dog went along this year, and she also had a costume!
P.S. I've also dressed up when I've given candy out at the door, and I'm almost 50!!!

As to an age, our community doesn't encourage kids over elementary school age to trick or treat. There used to be hours and guidelines posted, but it appears the city now stays out of this.
As it should:twocents: I can't believe I'm taking a Republican stance on this!!!:doh::snooty:

As it should:twocents: I can't believe I'm taking a Republican stance on this!!!:doh::snooty:

Yah, I talked to my son tonight and we agreed this was his last year. Once you're ready to head off to high school then that should be it. We'll have a broo-ha-ha next year at our house. I've never hosted a halloween party so I think I'll stock up on the sales tomorrow for decorations :) I love seeing all those carts with the 50% off signs!

MOO

Mel

So what? A lot of things aren't good for you, and I don't routinely buy candy the rest of the year. I eat quite a bit of my daughter's Halloween loot! In the past, I have dressed up and gone out with my daughter. I don't see a problem with it, nor should there be age restrictions on trick-or-treating if you feel like doing it, but there should be a costume! Our dog went along this year, and she also had a costume!
P.S. I've also dressed up when I've given candy out at the door, and I'm almost 50!!!

Great post! I can let that lot of candy sit there (I'm diabetic) so it doesn't really bother me. I just thank the good Lord that he only came home with one box of DOTS. I saw that, opened it faster than a fly, and ate them all. Then I had to take Metformin cuz I started to get the shakes (if that doesn't put you off candy nothing will) LOL.

I say whatever floats your boat, regardless of age, you should do it. We only live once -- why put restrictions on the holidays we want to celebrate.

Like Goz said - happy boo day :)

Hugs,

Mel

Yah, I talked to my son tonight and we agreed this was his last year. Once you're ready to head off to high school then that should be it. We'll have a broo-ha-ha next year at our house. I've never hosted a halloween party so I think I'll stock up on the sales tomorrow for decorations :) I love seeing all those carts with the 50% off signs!

MOO

Mel
:truce:What I meant was that I agreed that the city should stay out of it. I don't believe there should be an age-limit ban. That's too much government intrusion, and this is coming from a Liberal!!!

Great post! I can let that lot of candy sit there (I'm diabetic) so it doesn't really bother me. I just thank the good Lord that he only came home with one box of DOTS. I saw that, opened it faster than a fly, and ate them all. Then I had to take Metformin cuz I started to get the shakes (if that doesn't put you off candy nothing will) LOL.

I say whatever floats your boat, regardless of age, you should do it. We only live once -- why put restrictions on the holidays we want to celebrate.

Like Goz said - happy boo day :)

Hugs,

Mel

Great posts, mgardner and Linask! Halloween is so much fun for kids of all ages. Why do a few grumpy people in Belleville want to place restrictions on the holiday for everyone there? If the kids get caught out after 8 pm or are over 12 years old, they can be fined up to $1000.

I think I might be nervous to let my kids out on Halloween, if I lived there. (I guess that is what the grumpy folks want to happen!)

Right now I live in an apartment complex that has almost no kids. I got no trick or treaters. :( It's a shame, because we used to all (parents and kids) dress up, and go out and sit in the driveway to hand out candy. We had decorations and glowing jack-o-lanterns out. *sigh* I miss the old times.

Can we win you over on some other issues? :dance:

Unnecessarily harsh.

Last night was our trick or treating, and if the parents were dressed up along with the kids, we often gave them candy, as well, hehe.

That's OK. I don't go trick or treating...but I do dress up. It's fun. I even convinced my husband to semi-dress up. We didn't get many trick or treaters so I have a gigantic bowl of candy that I'm going to have to get rid of somehow.

Anyone want some Butterfingers?

That's OK. I don't go trick or treating...but I do dress up. It's fun. I even convinced my husband to semi-dress up. We didn't get many trick or treaters so I have a gigantic bowl of candy that I'm going to have to get rid of somehow.

Anyone want some Butterfingers?

:wave: I do, I do!

It appears our entire subdivision had almost no trick or treaters. About 8:00p my husband went out to the gas station, about a mile away through winding suburbia. He said he did not encounter a single trick or treater.

We have malls around here that give away candy. I'm thinking that many parents took advantage of this.

So, I need not have worried about ages of trick or treaters.

We had the best crowd last night. :)

I had bought about 15 bags of candy and we ran out about an hour and 15 mins into trick or treating time. (it's scheduled here, with roads blocked off or with MPs on bikes to moniter traffic while kids trick or treat :))

The theme's this year were all over the place. Nothing much from pop culture except a couple of parents. One parent was flavor flav and the other was one of the hair bear bunch (the one that wears the orange vest with yellow hair). Cracked me up :D

Lot's of princesses, angels, ninja's, ghouls, one homemade twister board.

I lurve Halloween!

We have the decor up, but I gear my decor for the little ones so that it doesn't scare them. We set up our laptop on small table where we sat on lawnchairs (so the kids could walk up and not have to navigate the porch steps) and played the "nightmare before christmas movie" kind of loud for the background music.

I say peshaw on legislating halloween! :D

(We can't wait until we have grandbabies to celebrate with, all in good fun:D)

After consulting with the neighbors, would you believe in my town of 8500 people, we figured we had close to 600 trick or treaters? It was non-stop and totally insane and FUN! Especially with us in costume and the yard spooked-up to scare them, lol! There was never a chance to even sit down it was so busy.

I'm glad I don't live in that town, or any town, that fines kids for being out on Halloween!

All Halloweeners, any shape, any size are welcome here, even if they need candy and the potty, and even if they're a little after curfew, so long as the pumpkins are lit. :D

love,

the witch :eek:

I'm a freshman in college and this is the first year that I didn't go trick or treating. Well, I didn't go last year either since it rained but I was planning on it. My friend and I always wore costumes (and I'm not talking just a mask) and we weren't obnoxious or anything. It was normally just the two of us so obviously, we aren't going to cause as much problems as a group of thirty teenagers would.

Also, It is crazy to me how people get hundreds, even thousands, of trick or treaters since my parents get an average of TWO trick or treaters each year. That's what happens when you don't live in a subdivision/neighborhood.

I'm going to CVS tomorrow to get all the discount candy. :)

I'm a freshman in college and this is the first year that I didn't go trick or treating. Well, I didn't go last year either since it rained but I was planning on it. My friend and I always wore costumes (and I'm not talking just a mask) and we weren't obnoxious or anything. It was normally just the two of us so obviously, we aren't going to cause as much problems as a group of thirty teenagers would.

Also, It is crazy to me how people get hundreds, even thousands, of trick or treaters since my parents get an average of TWO trick or treaters each year. That's what happens when you don't live in a subdivision/neighborhood.

I'm going to CVS tomorrow to get all the discount candy. :)

It's too bad you don't live in the Philadelphia area. Two dentists are offering a buy back for Halloween candy.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101102/od_nm/us_dentists_candy

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucysmom20
Back