Hunter Biden indicted, federal gun charges, Sept 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I spent a few minutes rereading this thread from the beginning and I'm happy Biden was convicted on these charges. It's quite a read since there was a lot of influence from the DOJ to just ignore these crimes. There was almost a sweetheart plea deal to make the gun charges and the tax charges-and any potential future charges-go away forever. In essence giving Hunter Biden blanket immunity. However a wise Judge decided that was not appropriate.

The charges he was convicted of are moderately serious. I'm interested to see what his sentence will be.

The tax charges are far more serious and if convicted he will do some Federal time. Unless pardoned.

And no sarcastic font needed, but I for one am glad that charges were filed for very real laws being broken. And even happier for this conviction.

JMO

MOO I am glad Hunter was convicted and will face consequences. I was also very glad to see that while President Biden offered his son moral support as a father, <modsnip - off topic> ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip - off topic>

Statement from President Biden: "As I said last week, I am the President, but I am also a Dad. Jill and I love our son, and we are so proud of the man he is today. So many families who have had loved ones battle addiction understand the feeling of pride seeing someone you love come out the other side and be so strong and resilient in recovery. As I also said last week, I will accept the outcome of this case and will continue to respect the judicial process as Hunter considers an appeal. Jill and I will always be there for Hunter and the rest of our family with our love and support. Nothing will ever change that."

<modsnip - off topic>

Statement from President Biden: "As I said last week, I am the President, but I am also a Dad. Jill and I love our son, and we are so proud of the man he is today. So many families who have had loved ones battle addiction understand the feeling of pride seeing someone you love come out the other side and be so strong and resilient in recovery. As I also said last week, I will accept the outcome of this case and will continue to respect the judicial process as Hunter considers an appeal. Jill and I will always be there for Hunter and the rest of our family with our love and support. Nothing will ever change that."
Dignified response to a humbling situation. jmo

Difference in geography, for certain, and related demographics.

Mr. Williams had a hunting rifle in rural West Virginia, where imho many people own hunting rifles. Not in WV myself, but for families in my area, a hunting rifle is a tool used to feed one's family.

Hunter Biden, iirc, lived in urban Washington, D.C. imho few people in the District own a concealable Colt Cobra .38 Special. A concealable Colt Cobra .38 Special is a snub-barrel revolver that literally fits in your pocket. A concealable firearm is a likely choice for personal protection & home defense.

Not sure the precise model Hunter selected, but here is an image:

View attachment 435192

The Colt could be carried past anyone's game camera undetected. Another difference....

jmho ymmv lrr
Conceal carry revolvers usually lack thumb *advertiser censored* so as to not accidentally *advertiser censored* the gun pulling out of your pocket or purse. Moo

Conceal carry revolvers usually lack thumb *advertiser censored* so as to not accidentally *advertiser censored* the gun pulling out of your pocket or purse. Moo
Lol. Dummy me didn't even realize I used an outlawed word!

I wouldn't be surprised to see probation. HB is not a violent criminal. No crimes were committed with the gun, he purchased it for protection. It wasn't his fault his GF, sister in law threw it away in the trash.

Still, it is a felony conviction. Are there mandatory minimum sentences for his charges?

A Cobra has an exposed hammer.

Interesting tidbit on the Colt Cobra. It was the same model of gun Jack Ruby shot and killed Lee Harvey Oswald with.

I wouldn't be surprised to see probation. HB is not a violent criminal. No crimes were committed with the gun, he purchased it for protection. It wasn't his fault his GF, sister in law threw it away in the trash.

Still, it is a felony conviction. Are there mandatory minimum sentences for his charges?
These aren’t charges that are typically brought to trial. Most drug addicts don’t have a laptop trail like Hunter.

IANAL but the 2nd Amendment defense isn’t going to hold water.

I really think that HB needs to sell the rights to his biography for a movie. It would be absolutely a hit. Everything to make the perfect Hollywood movie. I am trying to imagine the end though...

Ms Jean-Pierre, who emphasised she had not spoken to Biden about commutation, instead pointed to an interview last week in which Mr Biden said he would not pardon his son.

US presidents have the power to commute sentences for defendants convicted of federal offences. They can also choose to outright pardon such convictions, vacating them entirely.

Commuting a sentence would leave the conviction intact, but replace a sentence given in court with a lesser one.

“He was very clear, very upfront, obviously very definitive,” Jean-Pierre said of the president’s remarks about a potential pardon. But on a commutation, “I just don’t have anything beyond that.”

The Supreme Court is requiring an appeals court to review a ruling on a case with the same charge Hunter was charged with.

This is kind of hard to follow, but what I'm getting out of the story is that if the appeals court decides it's not legal to restrict gun ownership if someone has a drug problem, then it could also affect Hunter's conviction.

MOO

What am I missing?

The Supreme Court is requiring an appeals court to review a ruling on a case with the same charge Hunter was charged with.

This is kind of hard to follow, but what I'm getting out of the story is that if the appeals court decides it's not legal to restrict gun ownership if someone has a drug problem, then it could also affect Hunter's conviction.

MOO

What am I missing?

This is my take (and it might not be correct - I welcome corrections):

Law says can't own fire arm if a drug user.
Someone was convicted for having gun as a drug user.
Conviction appealed all the way to Supreme Court.
Meanwhile, Supreme Court ruled domestic abusers can keep guns.
Supreme Court sent appeal about drug users owning guns back to lower court.

While this is happening, Hunter was convicted as drug user owning a gun and is appealing his conviction.

It's still a bit of a mess, imo, and likely will remain so for awhile.

jmo

This is my take (and it might not be correct - I welcome corrections):

Law says can't own fire arm if a drug user.
Someone was convicted for having gun as a drug user.
Conviction appealed all the way to Supreme Court.
Meanwhile, Supreme Court ruled domestic abusers can keep guns.
Supreme Court sent appeal about drug users owning guns back to lower court.

While this is happening, Hunter was convicted as drug user owning a gun and is appealing his conviction.

It's still a bit of a mess, imo, and likely will remain so for awhile.

jmo
Thanks for your thoughts. Yes, it does seem like a bit of a mess.

I wonder if Hunter's conviction would be thrown out if the courts determine it's not constitutional to ban drug users from owning firearms.

I mean, he lied on the application, but if it's determined that question should never have been on the application...

It's pretty confusing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sidsloth
Back