Hurricane Dean

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Amanda, and MMt; unless Dean hangs a hard right, you're going to be OK. By next Tuesday/Wednesday we'll all have a lot better idea.

Yippee!!!

they just showed new predicted stats on CNN --150mph before it hits Jamaica on Sunday.....and if that isn't bad enough, they said the last wobble was towards the North (may go right--Amanda, and Mt). More later.
Oh wait, nevermind LOL. Buzz-your like a roller coaster of emotions for me-and we're not even family....:p

I know me too. I wasnt too worried at first but now I am starting to stress. I dont wanna do all that evacuating again it was a nightmare.

I can't even count how many times the Air Force made us evacuate in the summer of '04 and '05!! So much so that we decided to get an SUV just so we could be comfortable with all the drives,lol!
I have to work at 5, so I hope this update comes out before then.

Atlantic Standard Time.

Dean is more than five days away. Not to worry...............yet.
Thank you-is that the same as eastern time?
I know it's more than 5 days away, but I prefer to be prepared and aware of what is going on way ahead of time.

I know me too. I wasnt too worried at first but now I am starting to stress. I dont wanna do all that evacuating again it was a nightmare.
--We never evacuate before the storm hits--its way too chaotic--remember Texas 2 years ago? and many other people are feeling the same way now,judging by a new poll--We just ride it out and THEN get out of Dodge the next day--no traffic then,piece of cake

uhaD_2_640x480.gif

http://hurricane.accuweather.com/hur...ove&stormNum=3

If Dean continues on its projected path, Texas will be getting much more unwanted rain. Ugh.

I am in Lake Charles Louisiana and we are all praying that it misses us, not that we want it to hit anyone else either but we are just now getting everything back to the way it was. My family was lucky that our house was ok but I dont think it will make it through another. Go away Dean!! haha

If this thing hits Texas, they'll certain suffer a great deal. But Louisiana isn't out of the woods. A storm of that projected size will cause a tidal surge of significant proportion. The farther east you are, the lower the surge.

When Hurricane Rita hit 2 years ago in the Lake Charles area, we (just south of Houma, LA) received a 6 ft. tidal increase. It topped the levee system here and caused major flooding. I'm not looking forward to what this storm may bring...

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 30 MILES...45KM...FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 185 MILES...295 KM.

REPEATING THE 500 PM AST POSITION...15.0 N...64.5 W. MOVEMENT
TOWARD...WEST NEAR 21 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...125 MPH.
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...961 MB.

AN INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL HURRICANE
CENTER AT 800 PM AST FOLLOWED BY THE NEXT COMPLETE ADVISORY AT 1100PM AST.

HEADS-UP JAMAICA
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/143525.shtml?5day?large#contents

I am in Corpus Christi and we have left several times in the last few years, just in case, and just made vacations out of it. I think this year will be different with so many areas having floods, the backroads are out for a lot of evacuees so the highways will be worse if we have to go, IMO. Corpus residents are already on edge from the E Coli in the water, so trusting City leaders to keep us informed is not something most residents are ready to depend on. This will be interesting. They already said that they are going to make the decision on Monday about bussing those that have no transportation out of town as they have to order the buses ahead of time from the State of Texas.

I am in Corpus Christi and we have left several times in the last few years, just in case, and just made vacations out of it. I think this year will be different with so many areas having floods, the backroads are out for a lot of evacuees so the highways will be worse if we have to go, IMO. Corpus residents are already on edge from the E Coli in the water, so trusting City leaders to keep us informed is not something most residents are ready to depend on. This will be interesting. They already said that they are going to make the decision on Monday about bussing those that have no transportation out of town as they have to order the buses ahead of time from the State of Texas.
HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 30 MILES FROM THE CENTER
TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 185 MILES.

They aren't able to establsih the exact path in advance, so they just project a very wide area "where Dean could be" five days from now. As each day goes by, that "wide area" will continue to narrow down, as they gain more confidence in their projection.

Dean is now a Category 4 Hurricane

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 30 MILES...45 KM...FROM
THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 185
MILES...295 KM.

REPEATING THE 800 PM AST POSITION...14.9 N...65.1 W.
MOVEMENT TOWARD...WEST NEAR 19 MPH.
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...135 MPH.
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...946 MB.

THE NEXT ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER AT 1100 PM AST.

HEADS-UP JAMAICA
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/143525.shtml?5day?large#contents

Category Four Hurricane:
Winds 131-155 mph (114-135 kt or 210-249 km/hr). Storm surge generally 13-18 ft above normal. More extensive curtainwall failures with some complete roof structure failures on small residences. Shrubs, trees, and all signs are blown down. Complete destruction of mobile homes. Extensive damage to doors and windows. Low-lying escape routes may be cut by rising water 3-5 hours before arrival of the center of the hurricane. Major damage to lower floors of structures near the shore. Terrain lower than 10 ft above sea level may be flooded requiring massive evacuation of residential areas as far inland as 6 miles (10 km). Hurricane Charley of 2004 was a Category Four hurricane made landfall in Charlotte County, Florida with winds of 150 mph. Hurricane Dennis (pdf) of 2005 struck the island of Cuba as a Category Four hurricane.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 30 MILES FROM THE CENTER
TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 185 MILES.

They aren't able to establsih the exact path in advance, so they just project a very wide area "where Dean could be" five days from now. As each day goes by, that "wide area" will continue to narrow down, as they gain more confidence in their projection.

Of course they arent, Hurricanes are nothing new to us, we know that, I am just commenting that if one does strike here, lack of faith in our City leaders will create an interesting situation. Corpus has had two water problems lately in which our city leaders allowed residents to drink bad water and waited days to tell us to boil the water. Imagine how they would handle a Hurricane. At least when I lived in Galveston, I could drink the water, lol.

Well I just got back from Walmart and people are already goin crazy buying everything. They are having emergency meetings here too. Have you guys seen it, its huge.

I know AmandaBrown! Same here! I'm in Mandeville, just Northwest of Slidell. Dh works in Harahan.

We wont be here no matter where it ends up going. Dh's company has made it mandatory that we leave. We are going to Birmingham.

I know AmandaBrown! Same here! I'm in Mandeville, just Northwest of Slidell. Dh works in Harahan.

We wont be here no matter where it ends up going. Dh's company has made it mandatory that we leave. We are going to Birmingham.
Stay safe on the road.

:angel:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmccastor