Hurricane Florence - September 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
There's still saying 9-13 foot surge in some areas. (CNN)

I believe it. In Sandy and Harvey, there wasn't much wind (Sandy had gusts up to 90 by me). Even Katrina's deadliest wrath was mostly from flooding.

I wish wind was just an issue in a hurricane but rain and storm surge is what is the deadliest and costliest.

Last edited:
on top of 30" of rain still?

According to the National Hurricane Center, Florence is expected to produce the following rainfall totals:

- Coastal North Carolina into far northeast South Carolina: 20 to 30 inches, with isolated totals up to 40 inches
- Rest of South Carolina and North Carolina into southwest Virginia: 6 to 12 inches, with isolated totals up to 24 inches

It was during H. Betsy ('65) or H. Camille ('69) that one enterprising fellow spent all his spare time stealing all the charged 12 volt batteries he could find from parked cars both during and after the storm, to keep an Iron Lung ventilator going for a paralyzed patient until either the power came back on or what passed for EMS back in the day could evacuate the patient. I think that NOPD may have caught him stealing the batteries, thinking that at first he was a looter, but he took them back to the home bound patient in the Iron Lung, and they helped to arrange for the evacuation.

At Charity Hospital in New Orleans, during and after H. Katrina, teams worked around the clock, for days, to hand bag ventilator patients, after the power went out, until they could be taken across flooded Tulane Ave to be air evacuated from the roof of Tulane Hospital. I think the CHNO generators were on the ground floor or in the basement, but the hospital was without back-up power because of the flooding.

You really don't really know how good you have it, until the power goes out!

Dear Al Hoffman,

Thank you for sharing this story about humanity, someone who was indeed "enterprising" by stealing batteries to save someone's life.

You have such a natural way with words and the details are enthralling.

If you haven't already written a book, or two, I genuinely hope you do. I'd buy them.

Who doesn't want to read about human experiences in situations like this? You have a gift for shining a light on humanity during difficult times.

Namaste,
Zen

"I don't care if this goes down to a Category 1," a meteorologist said. "We're still going to have a Category 4 storm surge."

Even worse: Florence is expected to hover over the Carolinas, whipping hurricane-force winds and dumping relentless rain at least through Saturday. By the time it leaves, it's expected to have unloaded 10 trillion gallons of rainfall in North Carolina, a weather.us meteorologist said. That's enough to fill more than 15 million Olympic-size swimming pools.

Hurricane Florence will slash the Carolinas today in the opening act of a 3-day, coastal disaster - CNN

Florence's center will approach the North and South Carolina coast late Thursday and Friday, but it's unclear where and precisely when it will make landfall. As the storm moves inland, Georgia, Virginia and Maryland will also be in peril.

Storm surge still a big threat: Strong winds will send rising water inland from the coastline of the Carolinas. The National Hurricane Center says the storm surge could rise up to 13 feet -- that's water inundating homes up to the first floor ceiling.

Mayor Joe Benson said the storm will batter the oceanside town through two high tide periods. Storm surge of 13 feet on top of a high tide at 7 feet could overwhelm Carolina Beach.

bbm

Florence, Issac, Helene, Joyce and what may soon become TS Kirk in the Gulf.

180912174554-weather-all-storms-09122018-exlarge-169.jpg

Hurricane Florence will slash the Carolinas today in the opening act of a 3-day, coastal disaster - CNN

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toomanywomenmissinginbc
Back