Hurricane Harvey - August 2017

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
[video=twitter;901520634131382274]https://twitter.com/CBSDFW/status/901520634131382274[/video]

"Left to face the wrath of Harvey: Poor dog abandoned in Texas as flood waters rise around him with no owner in sight"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ed-Texas-flood-waters-rise.html#ixzz4qtESs9dg

IMG_0141.JPG

IMG_0142.JPG

It is so upsetting seeing all the devastation. I can't believe people have done this to these poor animals. Surely there must have been an alternative to leaving them tied to a tree to die? I hope someone rescued them and people are prosecuted.

[video=twitter;901520937362878464]https://twitter.com/BrianaWhitney/status/901520937362878464[/video]

"Left to face the wrath of Harvey: Poor dog abandoned in Texas as flood waters rise around him with no owner in sight"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ed-Texas-flood-waters-rise.html#ixzz4qtESs9dg

It is so upsetting seeing all the devastation. I can't believe people have done this to these poor animals. Surely there must have been an alternative to leaving them tied to a tree to die? I hope someone rescued them and people are prosecuted.
edited out pics

omg I wish I hadn't seen those. :tears:

Me too. Who could do this to an animal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was hoping to read the folks who took the pics rescued them. In my mind that's what I am hanging on to. Just devastating and beyond cruel. Tie the owner/s to a tree!!!!!

Thanks for your reply. I watched a mound of them once on a trip to Florida. Busy little beggars they are! Saw some of their bites on someone. How are conditions your way right now? TIA

Sorry I missed this earlier Bravo! Just drizzling rain! Occasional thunder. Gray skies!

That makes me cry! Some people have no souls! I do hope someone rescued them. And the owners should be punished to the fullest extent of the law! There is no excuse! We have had plenty of warning.

Glad to see everyone here is OK. no power ... very inconvenient, but things culd be so much worse I guess. It is good you have friends/family if you need that power, BFMD.

I had expected today to have so much more damage. Rockport looks pretty bad, though. Sad that there had to be even one death and some inured --- hoping their injuries are not too severe.

Flooding will get worse, before it gets better. Stay ready and prepared, peeps.

So relieved when you storm survivors check in ... and glad for all the links to current conditions from everyone. Best place to be during a crisis is right here with y'all.

ugh ... snakes, fire ants! I detest snakes, and have never seen a fire ant, but do not want to. Maybe this will keep their population down for awhile.. fingers crossed.

Oh! our gas prices here in lower Michigan jumped at least 25 cents since yesterday. :mad:

Hang in there ... and keep us up to date. :grouphug:

Me too. Who could do this to an animal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was hoping to read the folks who took the pics rescued them. In my mind that's what I am hanging on to. Just devastating and beyond cruel. Tie the owner/s to a tree!!!!!

It did say that the reporter who spotted the first dog set it free. However these dogs should be taken away and placed with people who would actually care about them.

It did say that the reporter who spotted the first dog set it free. However these dogs should be taken away and placed with people who would actually care about them.
Agree. They are still left to the elements. And those reptilians.

(sigh) I know, I know. DH and I have rescued any number of abandoned cats. We've had as many as eight cats at once. They just seem to find us.

[video=twitter;901512085431095297]https://twitter.com/cityofcc/status/901512085431095297[/video]

9 hours later and we are back online! Ladies and gentlemen, please give a heartfelt round of applause to the brave men and women of NUECES Electric Coop. Especially Ingrid who had to take all those calls this morning. Additionally, I would like to thank the proprietor of the Racetrack Gas and Mini Mart for being the only purveyor in town to open his shop doors - which nearly caused a riot - but he handled it very well (and I was glad I was on the inside when he finally had to lock the doors. No predictions for how long our good fortune will last ( electric or otherwise)! Lets just enjoy it while we can!

Many thanks to all of you who suffered my maniacal posting yesterday and today - it gave me an outlet for our fear and concern and kept the worst of the jitters at bay. I really, really, appreciate each one of you who continue to ride this merry (not) disaster to ground with those of us out here. Additionally in case you are wondering - I kept typing NUECES in all caps because both my phone and computer insist on correcting it to nieces - I have several (all lovely) of those but they have nothing to do with my county.

Peace to those who still have a long way to go. Thanks, again, friends. Do not underestimate your the effects of your efforts and kindness - it's meant the world to me (pretty much was my whole world there for awhile).

BFMD
Northwest Corpus Christi, Texas Northwestern NUECES county

Our pleasure BFMD. Least we can do. Appreciated all your updates. I would have been crazy scared. Hang in there.

I have company coming in about a half hour. Stay safe all. Will check in this eve or in the a.m. Sending good thoughts and prayers.

I have an insurance question for anyone here who lives where hurricanes are part of your state's weather history. I've lived in Michigan my entire life where we don't have such a threat. Yes, we can have harsh winters with bitter cold, lots of snow, ice storms, but really severe weather episodes are rare. There is an occasional tornado, and we've had some damaging wind storms, but nothing that is predictable or occurring on a regular basis.

Does standard homeowner's insurance cover hurricane damage, or do you have to purchase a specific policy to make sure you are able to renovate, restore, replace your home and property?

I have an insurance question for anyone here who lives where hurricanes are part of your state's weather history. I've lived in Michigan my entire life where we don't have such a threat. Yes, we can have harsh winters with bitter cold, lots of snow, ice storms, but really severe weather episodes are rare. There is an occasional tornado, and we've had some damaging wind storms, but nothing that is predictable or occurring on a regular basis.

Does standard homeowner's insurance cover hurricane damage, or do you have to purchase a specific policy to make sure you are able to renovate, restore, replace your home and property?

They do cover damage done by winds from hurricanes but if it is like my state of Georgia who experienced the 1994 500 year flood caused by Hurricane Alberto stalling and hovering.... you have to buy extra flood insurance for it to be covered when the damage is due to flood waters.

Many of the homes/businesses in our area had never ever been in a flood zone so they didn't have flood insurance and lost everything they had and still had to pay their mortgages on top of that if they had one. Many beautiful homes on one of the creeks were lost due to the water being up over the roof lines and stayed that way for weeks.

From experience this is going to get a lot worse before it gets better. It doesn't matter if Harvey has been downgraded to a tropical storm. What does, and will matter is that he is hovering over the same areas which will cause extreme flooding most have probably never seen in their lifetimes from the rainfall.

It doesn't help that many of these areas are at or below sea level and Houston has so much concrete where the rain will have no place to runoff like it would if it had a lot of grassy areas to catch some of the rain.

When it happened to us we literally were trapped in our area for a week. For thousands it stayed that way for over 6 weeks before it finally began to subside. In times like this you will see different types of insects, worms you have never seen before. The fire ants will be in the water in the millions along with the slime and erupted oil/fuel. It is very dangerous to even walk ankle deep in the water the higher it gets and the longer it stays the more toxic it becomes. Its going to get a lot more dire in the coming days. Those who have even a tiny cut or abrasion can become very sick from the contamination in the water including raw sewage. All of the creeks, lakes, and rivers will overflow causing more flooding. Even lakes, creeks, rivers above the main affected areas who also have rain ...........that rain will have to come into the other tributaries in the badly affected areas before it goes into the ocean.

Those living close to lakes, rivers, creeks be very mindful of how quickly the water will rise. It can catch people off guard. This happens when all tributaries are overflowing already and have no where to go but in areas it most likely has never gone before.

Please be very alert my dear Texas friends. Things can change drastically in a very short period of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pey