Hurricane Ida - Aug 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
My ex-boyfriend's mom lives just under the levee in Norco. Hope she's safe. Per social media, it's terrible in the entire area of La Place.

Hurricane Ida: 911 callers are trapped in flooding homes | wwltv.com

LAPLACE, La. — It's reminiscent of Katrina. Families – trapped in flooded homes – call 911, begging someone to rescue them.

Dispatchers are answering. But, it's not yet safe for emergency crews to be on the roads. Hurricane Ida is still lashing Louisiana.

St. John Parish President Jaclyn Hotard hears their pleas. She wants to help as soon as conditions improve enough to reach these families.

Ochsner to evacuate 66 patients from two hospitals after Hurricane Ida damages roof, shatters windows

Ochsner Health is making plans to evacuate all 66 patients from two hospitals after Hurricane Ida's winds shattered double-pane windows and blew off roofing, sending water trickling into patient rooms.

A "penthouse" portion of roofing above an elevator at Ochsner St. Anne Hospital in Raceland blew off the building, causing water to spill in and shutting down the elevator, Warner said.

"Sometime overnight, when the winds die down, we'll start moving patients out of there," Warner said, saying they can't travel on roads when winds are above 40 miles per hour.

Right now, looting is the least of their worries IMO. It’s the last thing on my mind while this hurricane threatens the lives of everyone, even potential looters. There’s a lot of suffering ahead for everyone.
I couldn't agree more Lilibet. What will we see when the sun comes up tomorrow? Many people may be without homes that are safe to occupy. People injured or worse. I find it highly unlikely that people are out in the dark with downed powerlines, flooding and winds still ripping through the area. They are probably trying to hunker down and keep themselves and their loved ones safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Understand jobs are there for supporting my children and their family. Very high paying jobs not found nearby easily, esp for SIL.
My grandchildren had a school year and a half of online learning from home due to covid so they're accustomed to learning online except the youngest, 9yo, who hid under the table some last yr. However, there's no internet in the city of NO so schools will likely postpone opening toward the last weekend of September.
This is a devastating catastrophic event of mega proportions effecting a million folks.

Kenner mayor, fire chief report over a dozen fires throughout the city

KENNER, La. —

Ben Zahn, mayor of Kenner, and Terence Morris, Kenner fire chief, announced the city has reports of more than a dozen fires.

In a statement, city officials said, "Unfortunately, the department has very low water pressure because of the numerous breaks in the parish’s water system due to downed trees. Also, flooding and downed trees and power lines are making travel in the city quite dangerous. In addition to those issues, the high winds from Hurricane Ida - which appear to be subsiding with the exception of gusts - are also making it difficult and unsafe for our firefighters to roll to calls."

Unbelievable. I’m so sorry. :(

Hurricane Ida leaves at least 1 dead and more than a million without power as it slows to a near standstill over Louisiana - CNN

After making landfall Sunday, Ida has now slowed to a near crawl over Louisiana as a Category 1 storm, causing flash flood emergencies as it dumps inches of rain on the southeastern part of the state.
Making landfall on the 16th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina, Ida is already historic in its own right. The storm is now tied with Hurricane Laura from last year and the Last Island Hurricane of 1856 as the state's strongest storm ever.

As of Monday morning, more than a million customers in Louisiana were without power, according to PowerOutage.US. Among them is all of Orleans Parish, which was hit with "catastrophic transmission damage," the city office says in a Tweet Sunday night.

As Ida continues to bear down on the coast, Entergy Louisiana said Sunday some of its customers could be without power for weeks. And the storm surge of up to 15 feet and winds as strong as 150 mph could leave parts of southeast Louisiana "uninhabitable for weeks or months," according to a local hurricane statement from the National Weather Service in New Orleans.

Hurricane Ida: LaPlace residents beg for help with unforeseen rising waters

The streets of LaPlace looked like a raging river, all while buildings swayed from the high winds, metal ripped away from rooftops and traffic lights looked like they would fly away into Oz during the catastrophic storm.

A few posts on Twitter indicated the Cajun Navy was on their way to help residents of LaPlace. The Cajun Navy is a group of Louisiana folks who ride boats into tricky situations to help rescue those stranded from natural disasters.

https://twitter.com/NWSNewOrleans
Tornado warnings for parts of Mississippi. Ugh. My granddaughter attends Tulane and she and her house mates went to one of their homes in Mississippi. I assume she's okay but now I wish they'd all have gone to my daughter's home in FL. Waiting to hear from her...

@MsMarple
An interesting thing about Tulane is that my oldest granddaughter feels that Tulane U should be listed as an Ivy League School. I agree w her. We know the Italian Professor at Tulane.
I do pray that your granddaughter and all students and instructors are safe and have no needs that can't be met.
My grandchildren will stay here with me, and not go with their parental units, after the 72 hour curfew is over, so they don't witness damages. We've ordered tarps and ropes, etc overnight shipped to take down there in case they are needed.
With the internet down, there's no comms from NOLA. There's no emergency workers available but SRAs can begin when the wind dies down to 30mph.

Finally downgraded to T/S.

...IDA NOW A TROPICAL STORM OVER SOUTHWESTERN MISSISSIPPI... ...DANGEROUS STORM SURGE, DAMAGING WINDS, AND FLASH FLOODING CONTINUE OVER PORTIONS OF SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA AND SOUTHERN MISSISSIPPI...
4:00 AM CDT Mon Aug 30
Moving: N at 8 mph
Min pressure: 990 mb
Max sustained: 60 mph

When I had my huge oak trees trimmed 2 weeks ago, these type images were at the top of my mind. A huge branch could go thru my roof, a neighbors roof or become a projectile. Until you see the devastation it doesn't really click. It’s so scary and you feel so small. Stay out from under trees!!

For an estimated 2,450 COVID-19 patients hospitalized statewide, many in intensive care units, evacuation was not an option.

A loss of generator power at the Thibodaux Regional Health System hospital in Lafourche Parish, southwest of New Orleans, forced medical workers to manually assist respirator patients with breathing while they were moved to another floor, the state Health Department confirmed to Reuters.
May God help them......
Hurricane Ida lashes Louisiana, knocking out power in New Orleans

My sister, an RN received alerts from several travel nursing companies, a week prior. FEMA contracted to bring in RNS, RRTs, CNAs days prior to the hurricane. FEMA estimate 6 to 13 week assignment.

She lived in FT Lauderdale for 20 years, she's very experienced working in a hurricane.

I am glad they had the insight to bring in medical staff early.

Moo

GPC is always one of the first in the scene.

God’s Pit Crew sending supplies to Louisiana

As Category 4 Hurricane Ida barrels across the Gulf of Mexico toward Louisiana, God’s Pit Crew is sending three tractor trailer loads of supplies to the region.

The supplies include water, Gatorade, snacks, disinfecting wipes, and other items. GPC is also filling Blessing Buckets with food, personal and hygiene items and copies of the Bible, which will immediately be sent to Louisiana following assembly.

Updating my list of members affected by Ida right now:
@gnsndr33 (sheltering in place)
@DeDee (evacuating)
@Lilypad13 (currently sheltering in place)
& family of @swedeheart

ETA:
@TeaTime
@Tony1902
@Lato
@Teche
@LaLaw2000 (North Louisiana)

Hoping you stay safe. Are there more members here that are affected?

Good morning, everyone. How is everyone that was affected, this morning? It's been sitting over my family in MS for the last 8 hours or so, so not much sleep for me last night. I was glued to every live stream/news channel/social media I could get my hands on. I'm very anxious to hear what's going on from locals in Louisiana, but perhaps most of you have no cell service/power. :(

Do check in and let us know when you can get to Websleuths! <3

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eddie_van