Hurricane Ida - Aug 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I really hope those that were unable to evacuate can hold on until help arrives. I did read one man's quote that his family didn't even have the money to leave, nor the gas in the vehicle.

This storm came up so fast and blew in so quick that it wouldn't even have been possible to go door to door to get these people. Sad.

I'm very worried - I know that I live nowhere near the hurricane range, but I have several friends in the states around Louisiana who I talk to now and then.
I know people there as well. They are trying to leave and can’t. There are no clear paths out at the moment, hoping for it to be better tomorrow. It’s a dangerous situation with the entire city without power. No facilities open, so when you run out of food and water, you’re out. Water pressure is extremely low now. Cell service is very slow and spotty - ATT service is down.

Hospitals are under extreme pressure, all power coming from generators. Add to that, they are filled with covid patients. Two hospitals near NOLA were evacuated today. I saw ambulances, all the way from Ohio come through my town today. I can only think that they were transporting the evacuees to a safer place.

Louisiana officials investigate after alligator attack in floodwaters

The Sheriff's Office says they received a call from a woman who said her 71-year-old husband was attacked and apparently killed by an alligator while walking in flood waters following Hurricane Ida.
(…)
The woman said she ran to her husband and was able to pull him out of the flood waters. According to authorities, she went inside to get first aid but realized his injuries were too severe when she got back outside.

The woman told authorities she got into her pirogue to get to higher ground, but said when she returned her husband was no longer lying on the steps.

The sheriff's office says they have been unable to find the man's body at this time and the incident is under investigation.

Tulane University evacuating remaining students to Houston

Officials with the university said the remaining undergraduate and graduate students will begin to be evacuated starting at 10 a.m. via bus.
(…)
Tulane University said it is establishing a Houston Hub to provide food and lodging at the university’s expense for students until they can get flights home.

Emergency funds will be available for students who need financial support. Those who need assistance are asked to contact the Dean of Students.

Orleans Parish could be without power for weeks after multiple transmission lines down

I know people there as well. They are trying to leave and can’t. There are no clear paths out at the moment, hoping for it to be better tomorrow. It’s a dangerous situation with the entire city without power. No facilities open, so when you run out of food and water, you’re out. Water pressure is extremely low now. Cell service is very slow and spotty - ATT service is down.

Hospitals are under extreme pressure, all power coming from generators. Add to that, they are filled with covid patients. Two hospitals near NOLA were evacuated today. I saw ambulances, all the way from Ohio come through my town today. I can only think that they were transporting the evacuees to a safer place.
I wouldn’t expect a clear exit path after a cat 4 hurricane. Continue to hunker down for a few days until crews can safely get in there to clear things out!

Hurricane Harvey was in this same time period in 2017 and there was no power for a long time. Prolonged flooding kept the stores from being replenished.

It stormed all night where I live in southern Alabama near the coast but this morning at about 8 am the sun finally shone through the clouds and right now it’s sunny with a bright blue sky and only a few clouds. The birds have returned to our backyard. It was so quiet and eerie without hearing the birds chirping for the past three days. Where the heck do they go in a hurricane? There was a deadly interstate collapse from all the water about an hour away from here on the MS state line that brought several vehicles down with it.

Seeing the images on the news coverage out of LA is shocking. Grand Isle & LaPlace have been devastated. The strength and spirit of the people in LA that have been interviewed is just amazing. As are all the heros there helping to rescue people and animals. It always makes me so sad to see the dogs that get left behind somehow. The way tragedy brings out the best in people restores my faith in humanity. I wish there was something more I could do to help but for now we have made a donation to the Red Cross. You can specify your donation goes to Hurricane Ida disaster relief. There are many other legitimate organizations accepting donations of money and/or supplies including Cajun Navy Relief. Those guys are amazing! And I love that Cajun accent. I encourage anyone who wants to help to do some research online and make a donation if you can. Every little bit will help. This will be a very prolonged and expensive recovery. There are so many groups already there or on the way to help provide water and food. The Red Cross is there and the National Guard. I remember when we couldn’t get back to our house after Hurricane Ivan because all the roads were blocked with trees and downed power lines. We waited in a long line in our car afraid we would run out of gas at the local convention center where the National Guard was giving out cases of water and MREs. It brought me to tears to see the National Guard in my little town and to feel how much people cared from around the country. We were so grateful just to get those basic necessities that you take for granted. It’s so hot in LA and they have no AC, no running water, no working plumbing and no electricity. And no cell service so many people are just cut off from communicating with the outside world.

My heart goes out to everyone there and those that have evacuated and don’t know when or what they are returning to. I hope all of our WS family that have been effected are doing as well as possible today. It sounds like everyone is safe and that’s the most important thing!

Houma, Louisiana, left reeling after Hurricane Ida batters the city | Daily Mail Online

EXCLUSIVE: 'I've survived many hurricanes, including Katrina, but nothing compares to this.' Houma residents are left reeling from Ida's wrath after 120mph winds leave homes, businesses and even a bowling alley reduced to rubble
  • Houma, Louisiana is reeling from the damage and devastation left behind by Hurricane Ida on Sunday
  • Having borne the brunt of storm's 120 mph winds for at least four hours - with gusts up to 150 mph - nearly all of the homes in the city with a population of 100,000 have been damaged in some way

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelpingHandz
Back