Hurricane Ike and Topical Storm Hanna

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
My kids have early release today. The stores have been a madhouse. We are in Austin. We should get some good storms. My family is all hunkering down....some in Houston, some in College Station. My mom thinks we won't lose contact because she has a cell phone....but I told her the lines are going to be jammed!!!

Hello neighbor! :)

Glad you're doing okay!!!

I'm more nervous about tornados (thats the Texan in me :) )

You and me both!! I think everyone, even those not in the projected path (it changes hourly it seems) still need to be prepared for tornados and heavy winds. With a storm like this, you just never know!! They are very unpredictable!!

I am praying for EVERYONE in Texas. Everyone keep in touch here if you can and let us know how you are! (And a big thank you to whoever started this thread....it will be nice knowing my fellow Wsers are safe!) Hugs to all of you! Stay safe!!! :blowkiss:

My prayers and thoughts go out to everyone on the Texas coast - please be carefull.

I'm just a little north of Dallas on I35 and hubby has just called me at work saying the news is saying that we might loose power here in the Dallas area and now he's making me worry. I have to work all day, doubt the boss would let us leave early as it's sunshine and clear right now.

UGH!! My plan is to stop at the grocery store on the way home and get enough for the weekend then go home and watch it all unfold on TV.

Went to get my coffee. In & out in 8 min. Getting a little breezy. I saw houses boarded up in the neighborhood that in all my adult years have never seen boarded up. Mom in Montana just called to check up. Gonna take shower and wash hair in case of electricity loss. Don't wanna be funky. LOL

Oh, BF works for UPS. Had to be there at 3. Got there and they told them to go home.

Went to get my coffee. In & out in 8 min. Getting a little breezy. I saw houses boarded up in the neighborhood that in all my adult years have never seen boarded up. Mom in Montana just called to check up. Gonna take shower and wash hair in case of electricity loss. Don't wanna be funky. LOL

Oh, BF works for UPS. Had to be there at 3. Got there and they told them to go home.

So, are you guys just going to ride it out? Stay safe Kato!

BTW, we are watching TXCN...do you get that channel? It's got 24/7 hurricane coverage...

:woohoo:

Kato I wanted to thank you for giving us up to dates about what you are seeing and hearing. I really appreciate it.

Storm-force winds may reach the coast by 8 a.m. local time today and hit Houston around 11 a.m. The hurricane winds may reach coastal counties in the early evening and Houston between 9 and 11 p.m. Those winds may last 10 to 12 hours.

``The wind field surrounding Ike is unusually large,'' the hurricane center said.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=ahZIaU1FduP8&refer=home

So, are you guys just going to ride it out? Stay safe Kato!

BTW, we are watching TXCN...do you get that channel? It's got 24/7 hurricane coverage...

Yep, will be at home. Don't get that channel. Watching our ABC affiliate. They are covering it 24/7. Also, TWC.

Call me naive but I just don't think it's a big deal. I feel they dramatize alot. Even though I grew up here and was here when Alicia hit I don't remember it. Hell, that was 25 yrs. ago.

:woohoo:

Kato I wanted to thank you for giving us up to dates about what you are seeing and hearing. I really appreciate it.

Your welcome. I'll try to take some pics if anything significant happens in my area. If I can try to figure out my friggin' digital camera which I've had for about 2 yrs.

My BF just said that our skylight covers are gonna be ripped off.

My mom reminded that my grandparents were without electricity for 6 weeks after Alicia. I don't recall that.

Yep, will be at home. Don't get that channel. Watching our ABC affiliate. They are covering it 24/7. Also, TWC.

Call me naive but I just don't think it's a big deal. I feel they dramatize alot. Even though I grew up here and was here when Alicia hit I don't remember it. Hell, that was 25 yrs. ago.

I agree that the news tends to overdramatize alot but who would of ever thought that New Orleands would be washed away by a hurricane??? I sure didn't. Just be careful!!

Seems local officials are asking people to write their ssn on their arms if they chose to stay on galveston island for easier identification:eek:
not sure if thats true-just saw it on the chat with those news feeds....
Not a bad idea though.

just checking in. all is still quiet in Katy, tx. hoping we'll have power & internet throughout but who knows. this is all new to me.

I agree that the news tends to overdramatize alot but who would of ever thought that New Orleands would be washed away by a hurricane??? I sure didn't. Just be careful!!

But alot of that was the levees breaking.

Geraldo is there on the beach. He said he has been knocked down once already. He plans to be there for next 12-14 hrs. We'll see how long he stays.

Oh, seeing Geraldo knocked down would be a treat. For Gustav, he was near hysteria thinking someone was drowning when the man was really securing a loose mooring (with life jacket and tether rope on, yet.) "Save him! Save him!"

What beach is Geraldo on? He must be west of Galveston. There's no beachfront there now.

We're getting a good stiff breeze this morning (an hour from the coast, we always get a good Gulf breeze at night.) The storm surge started covering feeder (freeway access) roads in Galveston this morning by nine--AMAZING.
The storm is 12 hours or so from landfall and they are having to rescue people from the rooftops in Bolivar Peninsula (you take a ferry to get to Bolivar, from Galveston.) Water is turned off on the Island now.

I think a lot of people were so miserable and freaked by the Rita evacuation, they chose to stay put. There was a considerable exodus this morning from Galveston of people realizing what 20 foot storm surge meant.

Back to work getting ready to hunker down, gotta do like Kato said and get cleaned up.

Oh, seeing Geraldo knocked down would be a treat. For Gustav, he was near hysteria thinking someone was drowning when the man was really securing a loose mooring (with life jacket and tether rope on, yet.) "Save him! Save him!"

What beach is Geraldo on? He must be west of Galveston. There's no beachfront there now.

We're getting a good stiff breeze this morning (an hour from the coast, we always get a good Gulf breeze at night.) The storm surge started covering feeder (freeway access) roads in Galveston this morning by nine--AMAZING.
The storm is 12 hours or so from landfall and they are having to rescue people from the rooftops in Bolivar Peninsula (you take a ferry to get to Bolivar, from Galveston.) Water is turned off on the Island now.

I think a lot of people were so miserable and freaked by the Rita evacuation, they chose to stay put. There was a considerable exodus this morning from Galveston of people realizing what 20 foot storm surge meant.

Back to work getting ready to hunker down, gotta do like Kato said and get cleaned up.

Should you be staying put? I think you should consider getting further out. I'm 200 miles from the coast and the reports are we will likely lose electricity even here. This is going all the way to the Great Lakes area before it finally quits over land.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/flt/t4/avn-l.jpg

Geraldo is there on the beach. He said he has been knocked down once already. He plans to be there for next 12-14 hrs. We'll see how long he stays.

I tuned into the CBS morning show while they were talking about Ike. They had someone on the beach, and while he was reporting one wave reached up and slapped him in the head. A few seconds later another one grabbed him around the legs and tripped him. Was funny, but scary.

I tuned into the CBS morning show while they were talking about Ike. They had someone on the beach, and while he was reporting one wave reached up and slapped him in the head. A few seconds later another one grabbed him around the legs and tripped him. Was funny, but scary.

WHAT CHANNEL is Geraldo on???

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mascaraguns