Hurricane Irma - #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]Latest update ... [/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]I have heard from a couple more members. Still hoping KindredSpirits and Tabirey can check in soon. Fraudqueen is probably OK, though would be nice to hear from her, too[/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]. Amazing that we got such a good following on the list --- but what else can we expect here on WS? Hope the clean-up continues to go well for all of you!

KinderedSpirits = Miramar (close to Miami) [
[/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay]last post 9/7, 11:30 pm. Was getting very worried][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]
fraudqueen= 3 streets from Ocean, north-central Florida [last post 9/7, 2 am:
[/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay]three streets from the ocean in north central Florida; going to daughter in Mississippi, 9 hour drive; worried about husband age 75][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]
Tabirey= Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. [last post 9/10, 11:30 pm:
[/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay]wind bursts from the outer band here in Myrtle Beach. By midnight it's supposed to start escalating. I'm a block from the beach][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display]---[/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]MaryG12 - [/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]Sarasota. [[/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay]9/17 = power back!![/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]southernmimi = South Georgia, [/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay]40 miles from the Fla. line....close to Tallahassee [ storm came right over where I live, but no damage to the property except debris. never even lost power.] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]katsrfun = Vero Beach, FL [[/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay]got power back Friday, 9/15. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay]No damage, a few very small, already dead tree limbs down in the yard, other than that nothing. Water from rain was almost up to the front door, but gone by morning. The worst we had was no power for seven days. It was so VERY hot, inside and outside.[/FONT][/FONT]

Tabirey was active today and started a MP thread early this morning: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?349636-NC-Kodi-Jenkins-17-Charlotte-3-July-2017
So I think she is ok. SC did not get much of a hit as far as I can tell from the news. Glad to see most of our members are ok! :loveyou:

Yay, Mary! power is back! :drumroll:

For The First Time In 300 Years, There's Not A Single Living Person On This Caribbean Island

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/syndi...ing-person-on-this-caribbean-island/475202253

1800 people from Barbuda all evacuated to Antigua..... I hope they are able to stsrt over with a lot of help. Not sure ai would want to go back, but when it is your home, ai imagine many are anxious to return.

Hello all. I was pleasantly surprised to get an private message from Spellbound inquiring about our status. You guys are too much; you all care about everyone and Spellbound, you are amazing, to compile the list and contact all you have not heard from. Thank you, you are a great person and I am sure Websleuths is very thankful to have you as a member.

I am so sorry I was negligent and didn't post an update. We were relatively unscathed, minus no power for seven days, which is so mild compared to what some have endured; whole islands just wiped and what are those people going to do? They are so unbelievably poor, what a total tragedy has happened in the area. I can't talk about it without crying, as I am sure so many of you do. It is heartbreaking.

My best friends in the world, born and raised in Marathon Key lost the entire bottom of their house, all that is left is four steel studs; furniture, appliances, beds, everything gone right down to the drywall. They don't know if it is salvageable. They have no insurance because it was costing them around $40,000 per year, and as they had no mortgage they were not forced to keep it. They were directly on the Ocean and the Ocean invited itself in. They also had about ten cottages on the property and they are all gone except two. At the worst of the storm, the ocean was breaking on their property and over in to the Gulf, across the street. I read this morning that 10,000 boats were lost or sunk; of which theirs was also. Most of these boats were used by families to make money, either fishing, sight seeing, etc. So not only are their houses gone, but their way of making a living is gone also. To me, it is catastrophic. I saw Homestead after Andrew, and my friends say this is so much worse; they are still doing search and recovery down their. It so breaks my heart. However, I know that things can be replaced and they are all alive and are putting their faith in God to help direct them. My husband and I hope to go down next week to see how we can help in any way. It scares me with all that water everywhere, but I can put my big girl panties on and do what it takes.

Just what is happening to our world, so many mass killings, horrific storms, devastating fires, maybe so many people forgot about God, that he is going to give us a show of what it can be like when he doesn't step in. This is my opinion only, and hope it is allowed. If not, mods, please delete this paragraph.

Anyway, may God bless all of you and all of your families and loved ones, and all of your fur babies. My little fur baby didn't know what to think, other than she knew it was very hot in our house. She faired well, though, thank God. Please everyone take care, we certainly never know what lurks around the next corner.

Thank you all at Websleuths for giving so much of yourselves, and caring for your fellow man. Sort of O/T but my husband and I had the police do a welfare check on very good local friends of ours; we got cut off on the phone as the storm started and didn't hear back for six days. We went to their house, and it was totally flooded around their house, and no sign of them although all cars were their. I kept calling and it appeared that the machine was taking messages, although it was not. Thankfully, the police went (and it about scared them to death - my friends, not the police) , and they were fine; no power, generator broke, no land line and no cell service, and no Internet. The very kind police allowed them to charge their phones and both the police and she called me immediately after the visit (and they went within ten minutes of my call). I was very impressed. However, on a side note, when I got out of our car, their was a huge snake swimming right next to me in all that water and he popped his head out to look at me, and I let out a scream they probably could have heard ten miles away, jumped back and landed right in a nest of fire ants trying to get out of the water. I have probably twelve swollen bites on my foot which are still swollen and pus filled. Not fun!!

Again, God bless all of you for being the caring and involved people that you are. I know my beloved Florida will recover and will be better than ever. Katsrfun

Welcome back, katsrfun! With every one who makes their way back and is relatively OK, I breathe just a bit easier. I am glad so many have been able to update on their stays and hope our last few make their way here soon.

oh no ... your friends had no insurance? I hope there is some financial assistance to come their way and help them make a home again. So sad the losses to so many. From our safe distance away from such occurrences, it is nearly impossible to imagine what you are all going through, so updates like this are much appreciated.

But dang, lady! :freakedout: A snake would terrorize me more than a storm, and to land in fire ants because of it .... what a whopping way to remember Irma! Hope the bites go away quickly (I know nothing about fire ants except what people post, and I sure hope I never get to learn first hand).

Stay well and hug your friend tight! :loveyou:

Just checking in from Myrtle Beach. .we just got a whole lot of rain and wind and some very minor flooding from Irma. .. now off to the Maria thread to watch and wait....

And per usual, my quote button isn't working. I meant to quote Spellbound in my last post, opps!

Just checking in from Myrtle Beach. .we just got a whole lot of rain and wind and some very minor flooding from Irma. .. now off to the Maria thread to watch and wait....
Hope you are liking Myrtle Beach!! [emoji38]

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

Interesting that you say this; I had not heard an update regarding how many deaths, and thank you for that info. But, my friends told me that as in Hurricane Andrew, entire families were wiped out, as so many very poor people crowd all of the family in one house. Some of these people are of course illegals, (I don't know what the politically correct word is currently), and with entire families gone, there is no one to report them missing. So, unless they are found and have identification on them, which is probably very unlikely, maybe they are missed in the count; I have no real informed idea. I do know that after Andrew, and I type this with tears, they had so many un identified people they were literally piling them in baseball fields. However, Homestead and immediate area does have a lot of migrant workers, so the number could be much higher than in the Keys, I don't know. It is horrid thought to ponder though.

My husband and I took a walk on the beach the other evening, and we are probably 300 miles from Key West, and we saw a Coast Guard boat out on the horizon searching the Gulf Stream for missing people. It is things like this that make you again realize the devastation and loss of life. I have not seen a number. I wonder how many people decided to remain in the Keys rather than evacuate. They are a tough group and fiercely loyal to those islands. I know many are very reluctant to leave. My friends left and went to Atlanta, which ended up having the first hurricane warning ever in history. They didn't want to go, but I thank God he led them to go, and take their six little fur babies along with them.

God Bless all of you, and again thank you to everyone for the prayers and support. And a special thanks to Spellbound for noticing all who hadn't reported in yet. That is so very insightful of her, and quite the job to compile the list and inquiry as to each one's status. I didn't even think to let everyone know we were safe until I heard from her, and I believe she is quite the sleuth. Thank you again to Spellbound for going over and above and have the wits to check on us. O/T - Poor Spellbound, she asks if I am okay, and I posted an overwhelming amount of stuff. Hope all are okay with my long posts.

God Bless all of you and please, everyone take care, their are so many storms out their right now, and we have more than a couple of months left to go. I don't know how Florida would withstand another one this year. katsrfun

Katsrfun.... your long posts are welcome, at least by me! I appreciate the first-hand knowledge that gets shared and makes this all the more "real" for those of us who have never experienced such a colossal incident. Thank you for sharing here! Stay well, new friend. :hug:

IMPORTANT UPDATE:

DH and I went out to Publix for some breakfast (plastic box of croissants from the bakery, small container of blackberries, 2 small bottles of Fanta orange soda; it's the breakfast of champions) and came back to an apartment with the power back on. :D

We did see an FPL truck down the road from us as we left, so that was a good sign.

Of course - we did not do any major food shopping because we had no clue if the power would be back on or not when we got back. So DH and I talked about going out to eat tonight.

And the clincher is this: the power apparently was back on around the same time it went out last Sunday, within a half-hour span.

You. Cannot. Make. This. Up.

Hello A/C I love you, thank you FPL, and thank you, Tom Edison!

:loveyou:

So glad for you! We have Duke and are still out. Now we're being told ''maybe' Tuesday by midnight.

Oh MaryG12, that's great news!! So glad you got your power back.

So sorry for you though, 'What'sThatClue' that you're still waiting. Fingers crossed it won't be much longer now...

How is it now, where you are Cat99? Do you repairs to make?

Just saw your post. It is fine where I am at now. Only minor repairs at my house. Just a big mess, and power outages are finally cleared. Other areas of Jacksonville had really bad flooding along the river and Black Creek. It is so sad. I am just thankful everyone is ok.

Oh MaryG12, that's great news!! So glad you got your power back.

So sorry for you though, 'What'sThatClue' that you're still waiting. Fingers crossed it won't be much longer now...

Thank you! Power is on at our house as of this morning! We'll go home later, forever grateful my son here had power and we could stay with him and that our son in SC was there for us too when we evacuated last week. I'm in tears. Even tho we stayed safe the stress has been so great, esp for a senior with health problems. Still, others have it so much worse. Not just my area but all over the South.

I pray others have their power back soon and that Maria stays out to sea. No one in the areas stricken this year can take much more.

Thank you! Power is on at our house as of this morning! We'll go home later, forever grateful my son here had power and we could stay with him and that our son in SC was there for us too when we evacuated last week. I'm in tears. Even tho we stayed safe the stress has been so great, esp for a senior with health problems. Still, others have it so much worse. Not just my area but all over the South.

I pray others have their power back soon and that Maria stays out to sea. No one in the areas stricken this year can take much more.

So relieved for you that you got your power back! Sounds like you are more than ready for your life to return to normal. So sorry for all the anxiety you've gone through.

Hope Maria stays out there too. Please keep us posted.

FINAL UPDATED IRMA LIST:

Everyone is accounted for and did "all right".

Welcome back to WHAT'S THAT CLUE & KindredSpirit! Isn't power a wonderful thing to have?

Clue, you try to take it easy for. Few days and let go of some of the stress you have endured. I know how stress makes me feel even more drained than physical activity, especially when I am tired or try to do too many things at a time.

Cat99, good to hear you won't have to do too much fix-it at your home. It is sometimes difficult to appreciate our good fortune when you see so much devastation around, but you count your blessings and appreciate all you have. :hug:

I heard back from KindredSpirit: they just got power last night, but did not have too much damage. uprooted trees and minor damage to house.

How lucky we we are that all our members have checked in and none had total losses.

So glad everyone is ok!
Thank you so much Spellbound for being so caring and taking the time to make sure all of us made through Irma! This is why I love Websleuths, all of the wonderful people on here who genuinely care!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState
Back