Hurricane Katrina Disaster Updates

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Marthatex said:
The Blackhawks are landing now! It is the most incredible sight; I can't believe this is happening; those poor people, it looks like a junk yard out there, the picture on the TV is blurry. I guess they are slowly getting people out of the dome, or are they taking the injured? I don't know.

This tragedy and all that is unfolding is mindboggling. Did they put out the warehouse fire?

Hey Martha we're on thread #2.

Dark Knight said:
I was reading some of the first posts on the old threads and on this one, and WS has a pretty good moment to moment accounting of Hurricane Katrina from it's start as a tropical depression through the disaster and the aftermath. I think it should all be kept, in some way, for historical purposes or at least posterity. It's quite amazing when u go back and look through it all. A virtual moment by moment update of a storm that turned into one of the country's worst natural disasters ever.

Yes. please. this is sad, sad -- the saddest of sad -- history. :(

Sorry. this thread took me a lot of time to read.

i replied just above before i realised a new thread had been started.

please can it be preserved. it's important. IMO.

less0305 said:
I had that same thought....and then in the next breath I wondered if that would start a riot. It's terrible to think that way, isn't it? I also wondered by those media helicopters who can't rescue people couldn't get close enough to people waving to them to drop down some water on a basket or something - or get close enough to drop it to their roof.

Oh heck yes they could drop some and One reporter said yesterday that it is not dangerous to keep giving aid at the civic center where people have already died of dehydration including one baby. He said that people there were incredicbly organized. They had no water since Monday. This is disgusting. I do not believe for one minute that dropping in water would have caused any riot. It may have prevented the few isolated stories of beatings or shots taken at helicopters.

Txvicki.... By the Way...

Thanks for Texas' generosity!!!!! You people rock!!!!

Per local media: People in the Dome are asking for Bibles and hygiene products. I'm leaving work early and going to $ Tree and then I'm going to see if I can volunteer.

less0305 said:
Txvicki.... By the Way...

Thanks for Texas' generosity!!!!! You people rock!!!!

Yes we do. It looks like Texas is going to be a Big Brother and Good Neighbor here for some time to come.

A Dr. at Baylor University Medical center was interviewed on CNN and he said that Baylor is going to be there for them for the "long term".

I am getting ready to jump right in to any volunteer efforts I find come this way in a couple of weeks or so. I have alot of preschool materials so I hope that I might find some children who need some visiting or comforting.

With the Katrina anniversary approaching, I thought I'd bump this thread from last summer for people who want to look back at our posts right after the disaster to remember what happened, and where we are now.

Well, I just saw Mayor Nagin on MSNBC calling ground zero a hole in the ground! Here's a link:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,210406,00.html

During the "60 minutes" interview, a correspondent pointed out flood-damaged cars still on the streets of New Orleans' devastated Ninth Ward. Nagin replied, "You guys in New York can't get a hole in the ground fixed, and it's five years later. So let's be fair," according to CBS.

I'm extremely offended. I'm so angry I don't even know what to say.

MrsMush99 said:
Well, I just saw Mayor Nagin on MSNBC calling ground zero a hole in the ground! Here's a link:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,210406,00.html

During the "60 minutes" interview, a correspondent pointed out flood-damaged cars still on the streets of New Orleans' devastated Ninth Ward. Nagin replied, "You guys in New York can't get a hole in the ground fixed, and it's five years later. So let's be fair," according to CBS.

I'm extremely offended. I'm so angry I don't even know what to say.

He must love the taste of shoe leather, because he is ALWAYS sticking his foot in his mouth. I can't stand him and have no plans to spend my money (as a tourist) in NO until he is no longer mayor. He loves to use the race card and maybe it did play a part but when he acts as if he did everything he could it makes me sick.

The "hole in the ground" comment is very offensive.

The other day, I was talking to a woman who had recently been down to New Orleans to visit relatives. She said that when they were driving form the airport, they took a shar turn and she put her hand up to the roof of the car. When she brought it down, it was completely black from mold growing. Apparently, people are dying right and left from disease and health problem due to the mold and toxins in the environment. Se says we are not hearing it partly as a result of a effort to keep it quiet so as not to inhibit the rebuilding of NO, and partly due to the media's interest in other topics. Hopefully the anniversary will revive an interest and the health problems will get some serious attention.

Cypros said:
The other day, I was talking to a woman who had recently been down to New Orleans to visit relatives. She said that when they were driving form the airport, they took a shar turn and she put her hand up to the roof of the car. When she brought it down, it was completely black from mold growing. Apparently, people are dying right and left from disease and health problem due to the mold and toxins in the environment. Se says we are not hearing it partly as a result of a effort to keep it quiet so as not to inhibit the rebuilding of NO, and partly due to the media's interest in other topics. Hopefully the anniversary will revive an interest and the health problems will get some serious attention.

I can't imagine that it'll be safe for years to come because of the mold and toxins. If the residents want to re-build I totally understand but it will take years (if ever) for it to be like the NO before Katrina.

I'm still not over the "chocolate city" comment. Why is Nagin allowed to make such a racist comment but was not called out for it. I guess because he half-azzed made a somewhat apology, that he didn't mean it that way? Yeah, right. I sure don't remember Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson reprimanding him. If Haley Barbour (gov. of MS) had said he hopes MS will be a vanilla state...Al and Jesse wouldn't rest until he was out of office. It would be a stink for weeks and weeks.

Can anyone tell me how long rebuilding a city usually takes?
No?

shopper said:
He must love the taste of shoe leather, because he is ALWAYS sticking his foot in his mouth. I can't stand him and have no plans to spend my money (as a tourist) in NO until he is no longer mayor. He loves to use the race card and maybe it did play a part but when he acts as if he did everything he could it makes me sick.

The "hole in the ground" comment is very offensive.
It's just a WEE bit more than fixing a hole in the ground! :doh:

Unreal. Mel Gibson shoots his mouth off while drunk and the media headlines it day after day, Nagin keeps making these comments and it's generally ignored by comparison. You know it's because he is a Democrat, and the media loves their Democrats!

Toby said:
Can anyone tell me how long rebuilding a city usually takes?
No?

I'm not sure, but I certainly hope that all of the criminals that came out of that city will go back once its done.

Dark Knight said:
It's just a WEE bit more than fixing a hole in the ground! :doh:

Unreal. Mel Gibson shoots his mouth off while drunk and the media headlines it day after day, Nagin keeps making these comments and it's generally ignored by comparison. You know it's because he is a Democrat, and the media loves their Democrats!

IMO, him being a Democrat isn't the only reason. I plan to watch the 60 Minutes to see what the interview said in return, if anything.

It was very interesting, today I was watching MSNBC (I think, or CNN) and they were reporting on a school bus driver in Louisiana who made several black students sit on the back of the bus. You should have heard this one man (black), yelling and screaming and carrying on, not that I blame him mind you. But it was interesting that the Mayor of New Orleans (the same state as this bus driver) can shoot off at the mouth and make racist comments but I don't hear many black people say ONE WORD about another black person making racist comments against white people. I'm getting sick of white people being called out for it daily but black people getting away with it in the media.

Sorry, I know this is getting o/t.

On 20/20 tonight!

I just caught part of this on the news. But I google and seems there is a lot going on with State Farm. Law suits and FBI investigation.

Hmmm. I haven't been that happy with State Farm. This is probably what will push me to change.

justice2 said:
On 20/20 tonight!

I just caught part of this on the news. But I google and seems there is a lot going on with State Farm. Law suits and FBI investigation.

Hmmm. I haven't been that happy with State Farm. This is probably what will push me to change.

Thanks for the reminder, although it will probably leave me :furious: . I have to say that State Farm has always been good to us but it was for small stuff.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PandorasBox83
Back