Hurricane Michael - October 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Local reporters keep working amid newsroom destruction caused by Hurricane Michael - CNN

During Wednesday's broadcast, one of the last things viewers heard was a reporter saying "it sounds like a train is coming over the roof of the TV station. The whole building is shaking."

Parts of the roof started to cave in. Rainwater started seeping in. By 12:45 p.m., the broadcast was over. A piece of a nearby building hit the station's generator and "knocked us off the air," Cole told CNN in an interview on Friday.

Last edited:
Those close-up photos of the destruction is unbelievable. I can't imagine living through that when it came to shore.

They are saying the job of finding people on Mexico Beach (especially) is so difficult due to most of the structures in piles of rubble and not being able to identify addresses as homes no longer exist, not knowing who exactly remained, and if they went to different places as the storm came. The deceased man found was in the boat storage building.

eyewall 300

incredible drone stuff

I havent been able to look at any of the aftermath videos of Mexico Beach where our daughter's home was nor ones of Port St. Joe where our granddaughter's historical home once stood.

But in due time I will... so thanks Cariis for linking them.

For anyone who is unable to get in touch with love ones in the affected areas do not lose hope. Many of the telephone lines are down and so are cell towers. Even in my area a 300 ft. tall cell tower collapsed.

I pray for everyone who is trying to locate their love ones. The communication avenues will get better in time. So dont lose hope. Everytime I have spoken with our daughter we are disconnected. So just keep trying.

Still have no power but at least for now one of our grandson's home has power and so does our son and my brother who all live in our county. All of them have opened their homes to other family and friends for showers or to do laundry. So we are all pulling together to make it easy as possible for those who do not have power yet.

Lowes have generators in now and my hubby went this morning and purchased one for one of his first cousins. I am reading our local news and they said anyone who has had to purchase generators may be eligible for a refund through a government program. Even the smaller ones are around 800.00.

This would not apply to us since my hubby already purchased 3 generators when we have had short power outages from other storms but hopefully it will help many others.

'I don't have anything left': Hurricane Michael survivors scramble for food, water as death toll rises

By some estimates, nearly 300 people stayed behind, ignoring evacuation pleas, as the storm rolled ashore as a monster Category 4. Officials have gotten thousands of missing people reports but with network outages, it's been a tough job determining whether some of the missing are simply unable to communicate with loved ones.

Becca Aldridge and her girls, 7-year-old Cesaleigh and 5-year-old Cydaleigh, crossed a busy 11th Avenue, toting plastic foam boxes filled with pie from a Salvation Army food truck parked at the damaged middle school across the street.

It was the young girls' first hot meal in days, she said.

The family rode out the hurricane in their beachside home. The house lost its roof, flooding occupants and contents with rain and sea water.

Jax49 thank you for the two videos above. I have passed the first one around to the whole family. It is really an eye-opener. I will be heading out from now on......no sitting and waiting for the house to blow apart.

Thanks to all of the WS weather people. All of you are so good. It feels like family...!!!

OBE....I have been reading the Herald. Good pictures. So glad you all are safe.

OBE.....would you ask hubby which generator he prefers. Thinking of one that would power a refrigerator and a small AC or small heater and a TV.
Thanks so much....Lato

I will be more than happy to ask him for you Lato.

He is still outside working cutting up our downed trees so it may be tomorrow before I reply. I hope that is okay.

You shouldn't need a large one I wouldn't think. Maybe a 5500 watt capacity but let me ask him first to be sure.

Apologies if already posted. First person accounts of surviving.

Mexico Beach residents describe facing Hurricane Michael: "It was life or death" - CBS News

Summers knew they had to get out when, about 30 minutes after the storm made landfall, water surging into the home's kitchen rose up to his neck. He opened the front door and fell in deeper when he tried to step onto front stairs that had washed away.

Summers said his parents recently added a large, outdoor bathroom onto their home and he saw the door was open. The large sink was still above the water. He grabbed a bench that was floating by, and shoved it into the open bathroom to give them something to stand on. Then he helped the elderly man inside.

bbm

Oh then DH and I both received an "Extreme alert" on our cell phones this afternoon:

Bay county food and or water site Rosenwald Middle School 924 Bay Ave Panama City

Boy whoever sent this out REALLY goofed and sent it to everyone in the state. WTH.

What was that 'emergency alert' that just appeared on your cell phone?

Apparently it was not just the Tampa Bay area that received this alert either, according to the above link.

Hurricane Michael death toll climbs to 18 with new victim reported in Virginia - CNN

"It's about to get stupid if people don't get food and water," Panama City Assistant Fire Chief Gary Swearingen said Saturday.

The hurricane-force winds were so powerful that they lifted the roof on the hospital's tower, where most of the patients were, and water poured into the facility. About 1,500 people, including doctors, nurses and patients, rode out the storm.

"It was a very scary few hours of howling winds, windows blowing in, crashing roofs, ceilings collapsing, but patients being cared for throughout all of it," said Amir Haghighat, a cardiologist with the Cardiovascular Institute of Northwest Florida who works at Bay Medical.

bbm

Last edited:
Hubby and I have been planning to move to Florida to live on a boat.
Are we crazy?
We currently live in Southern California, where we have serious firestorms.
I personally do not know what is causing global warming, but do beleive that it exhists and will continue to have an impact on much of the world including the USA.

We are honestly confused.
We are nearly going broke here in So. CA.
Everday is a worry.
Our house rent is $2,750. and our restaurant's space location is $4,200. utilities are $2,000. For our restaurant and $800. For our rental. Not including phone service and wifi of $300.
Even after this hurricane, would you make this move? From So. CALIFORNIA TO FLORIDA?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake12
Back