Hurricane Sandy updates

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Y'all stay safe, please.

We still have the same expectations of Sandy’s impact:

- 5-10″ of rain with the higher end of that spectrum occurring from the city on south into NJ and DE.
- wind gusts over 60 mph in the city, over 70 mph down the shore.
- major, possibly record, coastal flooding and storm surge in our shore communities.
- widespread power outages and road closures.

Keep in mind that we’re not talking about a couple hours of strong winds, here – we’re talking about DAYS. That means that even generally strong trees and branches might start to fall under the impact of such a prolonged beating.

Tonight, the National Weather Service in our area issued a very blunt, very strongly worded statement to the residents of the region. The tone is reminiscent of the statement that the New Orleans NWS office issued in the lead-up to Katrina (which can be found here:

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...rvice-statement-sandy-a-very-dangerous-storm/

My cousin, who I have been on the phone with several times yesterday (she worries about me) is in Warwick. She was saying that they a only just finishing up fixing the roads from the last Halloween storm and Irene. Stay away from big trees!

It's significantly windier here than yesterday, I slept like a rock after DE Gov. Markell closed the roads in DE and I found out I can't go to work today. I'm only a contract worker right now, so that means I don't get paid... And with all the (unpaid for me) holidays coming up, it hurts financially, but I guess it's for the best. Sigh...

I'm not far from Warwick. So many roads were closed after Irene and then Halloween. Farm fields tend to flood right across the roadways! The fields end up looking like lakes!

Good morming everyone....:wave: Hope everyone is safe.

:furious: My family refuses to leave. I have a sister and a brother who live in Long Beach. They are in A Zone in Long Beach, Long Island, NY. Their town was told to leave yesterday. Their bridges into the town was closed southbound at 4pm yesterday. Northbound is open for people who decide to leave. I'm so nervous for them. My other brother is in Far Rockaway, NY which is next to Long Beach. He lives in a Apt right on the water by the Atlantic Beach bridge. He refuses to leave even when buses came to evacuate the residents there.

I live in Sufflok County, NY. My daughters are with me along with their boyfiends, children and our dogs.

The storm is suppose to hit us at 6pm today. :please:

There is nothing I can do but pray for them. :please::praying:++

Oh my goodness. I would not refuse to leave. Gosh, it would be scarier being alone in this mess:please:

Halfway between Richmond and DC. Steady rain. My main concern is that we will have a 100-year-old oak fall on the house. Luckily, we have a screen porch which would take the brunt of its coming down. We lost smaller trees during the Derecho and are still cleaning up from that. There are also a whole lot of trees aimed at the house. Crossing my fingers!

I have family and friends in Central NJ and western WVa. Luckily, they all live on high ground as do my DH and I.

Wish everyone a safe ride through the storm.

I am not at the beach......no way would I stay there !:seeya:

Wow, this storm sucked the warmth right out of Florida. We went from the 80's yesterday to the 40's (some say upper 30's) last night. Brrrrr!

Continued prayers for everyone in the storm's path. Please be safe.

Are you surrounded by water? I think I had passed through there going to Washington DC.

Stay safe.

No, not surrounded. But we're in a flood zone across the road from the Potomac River - a very low-lying area. :(

Since it's along the GW Pkwy, there are also lots of big trees. We're on the 1st floor of a 2-story building, so we're fairly safe from falling trees if we are inside.

It's the flooding that worries me.

Dinosaurs-Noahs-Ark.jpg

http://socialstudiesresources.uregi...jpg/296854030/550x622/Dinosaurs-Noahs-Ark.jpg

And... the rain/wind just picked up. And... I have to take the dog to the vet. Luckily, it's just a few blocks away (an embedded tick on her neck... :no:)

:please:

Rescuers are rushing in to help people stranded by flooding in Oak Orchard, Delaware, as Hurricane Sandy moves closer to land. The huge storm is expected to affect millions on the Eastern Seaboard. FULL STORY

I've been listening to the cape may county scanner. Those guys and gals sure are busy now

Some crew rescued as ship sinks in Sandy's path

9:12AM EDT October 29. 2012 - U.S. Coast Guard helicopters have rescued 14 of the 17 people who abandoned their three-masted ship that took on water and later sank in the path of Hurricane Sandy, the CBC reported.

The Coast Guard sent a C-130 and two rescue helicopters, HH60s, to rescue the crew, WITN-TV reported. The Washington, N.C., TV station said one helicopter began bringing back the first batch of survivors around 7 a.m. ET

The ship was trapped in 40 mph winds and 18-foot seas about 90 miles southeast of Hatteras, N.C., and 160 miles west of the eye of the hurricane, according to a Coast Guard statement.

The CBC reported that the ship, which is used as a seas school, has sunk.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...andy-ship-abandoned-ship-coast-guard/1665339/

Hooray Coast Guard!!!

Well, I think I better take a nap and rest up for when the basement starts to get wet ! Good luck everybody :please:

To all the good folks in all of New England, NJ, Delaware and New York please stay safe and listen to the local authorities. Lets' don't forget the folks in the great lakes area too I understand they are to get high winds. Thinking of all of you folks. Prayers for all.

Thanks for the live video.

Keeping you all in my thought's and prayer's!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3
Back