Hurricane Sandy updates

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
NYC subway system crippled by floods. Showing map of eight portions - some impacted, some not.
Anderson took public transportation this morning from NJ.

Earlier today I heard that two boys were killed when a tree feel on the house of one of the boys. They were having an overnight and were sleeping in the room where the tree fell. Not sure of the location of the house.

This is the worst news I've heard resulting from this super storm.

A state-by-state look at the East Coast superstorm

By The Associated Press, AP
56 minutes ago

The massive storm that started out as Hurricane Sandy slammed into the East Coast and morphed into a huge and problematic system, putting more than 8.4 million homes and businesses in the dark and causing at least 39 deaths in the U.S. Here's a snapshot of what is happening, state by state...

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles...30/US.Superstorm.Sandy.States/?cid=hero_media

I am caring for others. In a group home, for people with intellectual and physical disabilities. It has to be staffed 24/7

Well, that explains it. Thank goodness you got home okay.

You know, I guess I;m stupid but this storm has me so confused. It looked like a category 5 hurricane on the satellite, yet they called it a category 1.
Is it just the sheer size of it that made it so horrible? And since it was so big, why wasn't it a higher category?

I know they are saying that its collision with the snow system coming from the west made it a worse. But I also read that it made it a superstorm and some accounts seem to indicate that a superstorm is downgraded from a hurricane.

Also, how big was the snow system it hit? Was that a massive blizzard? And din;t that collide somewhere closer to Pennsylvania? So why is there so much damage on the very east coast?

I'm just trying to figure it all out. Can anyone help me understand? (Science is not my strong suit).

Earlier today I heard that two boys were killed when a tree feel on the house of one of the boys. They were having an overnight and were sleeping in the room where the tree fell. Not sure of the location of the house.

This is the worst news I've heard resulting from this super storm.

That is truly sad news. I have been staying in the basement (man cave ) since this thing started. I may have a new fear of trees.

NJ national guard aerial footage of the coast line

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?v=423537294368919

That's horrible. Some of the homes are nothing more than little nubs at this point.

I'm still dumbfounded by the sinking of the HMS Bounty and the loss of two crewmembers. According to DH, we have been on this boat when it was at OpSail and other displays (all tallships are the same to me... :o).

Regarding crewmember Christine Christian:

And more (bbm):

And the captain:

What? Last I saw, they had two left in the water but rescued one and there was only one left they couldn't find.

That's really bad.

Ok, is this the picture of Sandy with the cold front on the left approaching? That long line of clouds like a band?
images

And then this is them hitting?
sandy-cold-front.jpg

So why doesn't that action turn Sandy into a higher category hurricane? If the collision is what caused the intense damage everyone has sustained, I just don;t understand why it's not a bigger category hurricane instead of a superstorm. And I don;t understand why a superstorm would be a downgrade from a category 1 hurricane? Especially since it caused such catastrophic and widespread damage and what, 26 deaths thus far?:
Downgraded from hurricane, superstorm Sandy takes aim at Atlantic coast
http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121029/NEWS90/121029759/-1/news
The scale separates hurricanes into five different categories based on wind. The U.S. National Hurricane Center classifies hurricanes of Category 3 and above as major hurricanes (although all hurricanes can be very dangerous).

Category 1

Category 1 Sustained winds 33–42 m/s 64–82 kn

Hurricane Lester near landfall 119–153 km/h 74–95 mph Normal central pressure 980–994 mbar 28.94 inHg
Very dangerous winds will produce some damage

Category 1 storms usually cause no significant structural damage to most well-constructed permanent structures; however, they can topple unanchored mobile homes, as well as uproot or snap numerous trees. Poorly attached roof shingles or tiles can blow off. Coastal flooding and pier damage are often associated with Category 1 storms. Power outages are typically widespread to extensive, sometimes lasting several days. Even though it is the least intense type of hurricane, the storm can still produce widespread damage and can be a life-threatening storm.

Category 2

Extremely dangerous winds will cause extensive damage

Category 3

Devastating damage will occur

Category 4

Horrific damage will occur

Category 5

Catastrophic damage will occur
Saffir–Simpson Hurricane Scale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I mean to me, this was at least as bad as a category 3. I hope someone can help me understand.

PHEW. Just talked to Mom. She has no power, but is doing all right, and so is her kitty...she's so funny...she doesn't have television, so she went for a walk (???) down the block, and told me about a tree that apparently lost a branch, but "everyone seems just fine. But there are a lot of people walking around. Why don't they just drive?"

So I explained a little more of things to her, and she's promised to stay inside today, and tomorrow, and will call SugarQueen's daughter if she needs it.

It was a brief conversation, but it was good to hear her voice.

Best-
Herding Cats

Glad your mom is ok, Herding Cats. That is good news!:seeya:

A state-by-state look at the East Coast superstorm

By The Associated Press, AP
56 minutes ago

The massive storm that started out as Hurricane Sandy slammed into the East Coast and morphed into a huge and problematic system, putting more than 8.4 million homes and businesses in the dark and causing at least 39 deaths in the U.S. Here's a snapshot of what is happening, state by state...

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles...30/US.Superstorm.Sandy.States/?cid=hero_media

Wow, I've only heard 16 deaths being attributed to Sandy up until now.

Not a link to back it up, but I heard they arrested some idiot that was trying to surf Lake Huron last night....

Some people will never get it, will they?

I mean to me, this was at least as bad as a category 3. I hope someone can help me understand.

See if this helps, Sandy was a Cat one Hurricane when it hit, to be a Cat 3 it had to have sustained winds of 111-129 MPH.

Saffir-Simpson
Category Maximum sustained wind speed

1 74-95 MPH sustained wind speed
2 96-110 MPH
3 111-129 MPH
4 130-156 MPH
5 ≥157

Yeah, they only grade them Category 1-5 based on sustained wind speeds alone. So a storm could be the size of North America and dump 100 inches of water but still be a Cat 1. JMO

That is truly sad news. I have been staying in the basement (man cave ) since this thing started. I may have a new fear of trees.

There aren't any newspaper articles backing up the verbal report I heard on TV. The link BetteDavisEyes gave above, has info that an eight year old boy was killed in PA by a fallen tree. Yet, nothing about two boys being killed when a tree fell on a house in any state. With the power out and other hindrances, news articles are slow to surface I guess.

<snipped> Glad that all is well with you and yours. How was dinner last night?

Excellent, thank you. I've been waiting to call my mom until she gets home tonight--she works at a hospital north of Baltimore and stayed there last night so that they would have enough personnel during the storm. She just had her roof fixed this summer so hopefully that held up.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MandyLynn1109
Back