I interviewed both John and Patsy

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

SietchTabr

Verified Author/Reporter
Reaction score
Hi. Just signed up here, because in the Age of Coronavirus, I've been consuming all I can find about the West Memphis 3 case.

However, I saw that the murder of JonBenet Ramsey has generated a lot of discussion, which is no surprise.

I don't have any incredible insight, but I was one of two reporters who were first allowed to interview John after the murders (as a reporter for the Daily Camera in Boulder, Colo.) Also, strangely, I interviewed Patsy prior to the murder, as part of the Camera's "Monday Morning Rose" feature, which was a weekly small item (which the staff hated doing) about local people doing volunteer work.

Again, I don't have anything earth-shattering to offer, but I did interview both parents, if anyone has any questions, I'm happy to try to answer.

Hi. Just signed up here, because in the Age of Coronavirus, I've been consuming all I can find about the West Memphis 3 case.

However, I saw that the murder of JonBenet Ramsey has generated a lot of discussion, which is no surprise.

I don't have any incredible insight, but I was one of two reporters who were first allowed to interview John after the murders (as a reporter for the Daily Camera in Boulder, Colo.) Also, strangely, I interviewed Patsy prior to the murder, as part of the Camera's "Monday Morning Rose" feature, which was a weekly small item (which the staff hated doing) about local people doing volunteer work.

Again, I don't have anything earth-shattering to offer, but I did interview both parents, if anyone has any questions, I'm happy to try to answer.
After the murders? I didn't realize tgere was more than one. You know Carol McKinley. Love her, we still talk on Twitter. I don't recall the interview with John - was that a DC article? Thanks!

Of the various theories on who did it, which one seems the most plausible to you based on what you have seen/know?

This will likely disappoint you, but the most honest answer I can give is this:

If you look at every theory as a puzzle, in my opinion, every single theory has critical pieces missing. Given that, I have remained agnostic over the years.

That said, I've also noted that if John Ramsey, whom I interviewed after the murders, had been involved, he must be a terrifying criminal chameleon. I base that on my (admittedly imperfect) assessment of his character when in his presence. The other reporter (from the Rocky Mountain News; we met with Ramsey and his lawyer Bryan Morgan separate from each other) and I were barred specifically from asking about the crime (an interesting restriction, to be sure). Given that, I decided to use my time to try to get a gauge on JR's demeanor by asking him rather pointed and personal questions, just to see how he would react. I asked, for example, about his temper, his sex life (in a general, not creepy way, I promise), his upbringing, how he disciplines his kids, things like that.

In my assessment following the interview, I realized that JR reacted very much as I would expect a person being grilled on such touchy/personal matters to react, at times with visible irritation, disbelief, and at times with gentleness and humor.

In short, JR seemed quite normal and if he had been involved in any way, he was a genuinely terrifying person.

Re Patsy: She struck me as pleasant, a tad ditzy and a little spacey, I would say. We were truly only talking about her work at her daughter and son's school, so pretty low-key stuff. She did not seem "dumb," but certainly not a great mind at work there.

P.S. I also was touring the Ramsey house, with attorney Bryan Morgan and some others, after the family had moved out. I was the person who discovered that someone had set some paper afire and shoved it through the front-door mail slot, perhaps in an attempt to burn the house down. I have a potent sense of smell and picked up the scent of old smoke and followed it.

After the murders? I didn't realize tgere was more than one. You know Carol McKinley. Love her, we still talk on Twitter. I don't recall the interview with John - was that a DC article? Thanks!

I'm sure I wrote something following the interview, but my recollection is hazy. I seem to remember that my city editor at the time was pretty skeptical (with good reason) that we weren't allowed to even mention the murder, so he didn't put much stock in my interview.

One problem with the poor ol' Camera is that its ownership has shifted numerous times since then, and during one or more of those shifts, links to archived stories have been lost. I am unable to locate certain columns that I wrote, for example.

Also, I don't remember who it was from the Rocky who interviewed JR with his attorney, Bryan Morgan, present, but I am very confident it was a woman. As I said, we conducted our interviews separately, at Mr. Morgan's house on Mapleton Hill in Boulder.

The reason I was one of two handpicked reporters to meet JR was that during the first days and weeks of the case, the police controlled the narrative, including numerous leaks that made the family look pretty suspicious. At first, Morgan's advice to JR was to say nothing, as I recall, but after a certain point, they lost patience and began to "leak" certain information to me, as a reporter (I also wrote a column). I reported those stories (the one I clearly recall was the police department holding JBR's — I guess I don't quite get the rules on names here; can a victim not be named? I'm referring to the victim — body "for ransom," essentially attempting to use it as leverage to get them to come in and interview) and, as I recall, based on that, as well as having read my column for several years, the Ramseys had some kind of confidence in me as an unbiased or at least fair reporter.

Here's another factoid that may not have been reported (or maybe it was, in Schiller's terrible book; I sure got suckered into talking to him; bad idea!): Just four days after the body was discovered, a top investigator with the Boulder PD, who is still prominent in LE in Boulder County, confided to me "off the record" that (paraphrasing from memory, but the basic comment is the same) "We know the dad did it. We're just getting our ducks in a row."

I guess it's silly not to put my name on all this: It's Clay Evans (or rather, that was the byline I used in my journalism days; as an author and freelancer I am Clay Bonnyman Evans). The aforementioned Schiller grossly violated our agreement about what he could/could not use. I asked that he use a pseudonym, Cordwainer Bird (look that up!) and provide no identifying details. He completely blew off the second part of that, so it was very easy for people to see that Mr. Bird was in fact Mr. Evans. Lesson learned.

Interesting but I think you need to become verified before going on, members here are picky about that.

From the instructions on how to be verified.

Verification Process for Professional or Insider Posters/

"If a member wants to post as a professional (a lawyer, shrink, and so on) or as a local/knows the people involved then they must email us at the following email: wsverify@gmail.com

Please include:

The case
Your Websleuths name
Your phone number and a good time to call
Your real name
Location (City and State)
In the subject line please put your user name and which case you are asking to be verified on

All info will be kept strictly confidential"
on how to be verified.

Verification Process for Professional or Insider Posters/

"If a member wants to post as a professional (a lawyer, shrink, and so on) or as a local/knows the people involved then they must email us at the following email: wsverify@gmail.com

Please include:

The case
Your Websleuths name
Your phone number and a good time to call
Your real name
Location (City and State)
In the subject line please put your user name and which case you are asking to be verified on

All info will be kept strictly confidential"

This will likely disappoint you, but the most honest answer I can give is this:

Thank you for your answer. No disappointment, it's interesting hearing from someone who was there early covering the case.

Maybe you should consider posting this on the reddit forum as well. They seem way more active than here.

Also, I don't remember who it was from the Rocky who interviewed JR with his attorney, Bryan Morgan, present, but I am very confident it was a woman. As I said, we conducted our interviews separately, at Mr. Morgan's house on Mapleton Hill in Boulder.

The reason I was one of two handpicked reporters to meet JR was that during the first days and weeks of the case, the police controlled the narrative, including numerous leaks that made the family look pretty suspicious. At first, Morgan's advice to JR was to say nothing, as I recall, but after a certain point, they lost patience and began to "leak" certain information to me, as a reporter (I also wrote a column). I reported those stories (the one I clearly recall was the police department holding JBR's — I guess I don't quite get the rules on names here; can a victim not be named? I'm referring to the victim — body "for ransom," essentially attempting to use it as leverage to get them to come in and interview) and, as I recall, based on that, as well as having read my column for several years, the Ramseys had some kind of confidence in me as an unbiased or at least fair reporter.

Here's another factoid that may not have been reported (or maybe it was, in Schiller's terrible book; I sure got suckered into talking to him; bad idea!): Just four days after the body was discovered, a top investigator with the Boulder PD, who is still prominent in LE in Boulder County, confided to me "off the record" that (paraphrasing from memory, but the basic comment is the same) "We know the dad did it. We're just getting our ducks in a row."

Glad to have you! To answer the question: no, you're generally not required to use initials for the names of victims or POIs. Over time, however, initials develop as a certain thread shorthand.

Here is a good question, I think: As a writer, have you formed an(y) opinion of or conclusions about the "ransom note"?

Here is a good question, I think: As a writer, have you formed an(y) opinion of or conclusions about the "ransom note"?

Ugh, that "ransom note."

I don't think my musings qualify as conclusions, but I do think that the note is the most damning evidence against the family, or at least, someone who was in the house with their knowledge and permission.

One thing we've learned in the years since JonBenet's murder is that much of what once passed for sound forensic evidence isn't nearly as clear-cut as we once imagined, including things like hair and fibers and handwriting analysis.

My first instinct on that note is to say, "What the heck? Who would be dumb enough to even try such a stunt?" and assume it was a not-too-smart person. But experts suggest that very smart people are often better equipped to talk themselves into unreasonable/unsupportable positions and beliefs, simply because they have the cognitive abilities to conjure up sound-seeming rationales and schemes.

Sorry if all that came across as word salad with no conclusion. I've wavered a few times over the years, but truly landed right on top of the fence with this vexing case. If, however, I were going to lean toward saying the family was somehow involved, the "ransom note" would be my Exhibit A.

Did you interview them separately or together? I’m gonna assume together, did there seem to be any genuine support or warmth between the two or just two people going through the motions?

Where did the interview take place?

Did you interview them separately or together? I’m gonna assume together, did there seem to be any genuine support or warmth between the two or just two people going through the motions?

Where did the interview take place?

Hi, Linda.

I interviewed Patsy prior to the murder, I believe a couple of years before that. I interviewed John in the late winter or spring of 1996, at the home of his attorney Bryan Morgan in Boulder. I'd have to do a little research to be more precise than that.

But bottom line, no, I did not interview the Ramseys together.

When you were in the garage you wrote about the bikes. How many bikes were in the garage and what color were they?

Great question! I think someone had a theory that the neighbor's child had spent the night but left on one of the bikes in the early morning.

If you're looking for great information about the WM3 case, here are two sites that are critical: jivepuppi and callahan.8k.com. I've been studying that case for at least 10 years now -- I'm certainly no expert, but I'm just saying, that's a case that is very addictive. It feels like the answer is right there...but anyways.

Buddy L. is someone that could be important to the case, but who has never been brought up in any of the movies/docs/specials that I have seen. He told police that JM had given him a pair of sneakers immediately after the crime because JM couldn't bear to keep them (because he was wearing them when he committed the crime). This is normally omitted because the docs are pro-WM3.

Welcome, Sietch, glad to have you here.

"... in Schiller's terrible book..." It has been a long time since I read it, but don't recall it being terrible. What is it that makes you think it is terrible?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back