FL - Sarah Boone, 42, charged with murdering boyfriend Jorge Torres, 42, by leaving him locked in suitcase, Winter Park, Feb 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Is there such a thing as trial in absentia? I can think of one recently where the defendant refused to appear but the trial continued on without him. But of course he had counsel, who appeared on his sorry behalf. I can think of another where there judge ruled the defendant HAD to be there, by force if necessary. Again, with counsel. And I can think if still another where a defendant CHOSE to self-represent where the judge ordered a public defender to be present, essentially as a consultant for the defendant.

She doesn't know the first thing about preparing a proper defense and already my ears are bleeding imagining her in the courtroom with a microphone.

I'm trying to understand how this actually works. The judge can't order her NO defense. Maybe hold her in some mind of contempt for delaying justice? Big fat time-out until she's ready to behave?

Sounds to me like her main objection is that none of her 7000 attorneys will listen to her. Spin machine. Fact: she won't listen to them.

If she is acting as her own defense, can the judge sanction her? Limit her defense on account of these delay infractions?

Is there precedence for a judge refusing to appoint another PD?

Does he have the power to muzzle her?

Can he appoint counsel and order them to proceed based on the case and discovery without her cooperation?

In what world is it even OK for a party to a lawsuit, civil or criminal, to contact the judge directly?!

Of course, she's done a fine number of insulting the judge.

I'm tired already, but I don't think we've heard the end of this.

JMO

I agree with all your points and have the same questions.

I don't know how it works in the USA but here in the UK a person can absolutely be sentenced in their absence (ie refusing to attend / repeatedly refusing to leave cells).

I think, if I understood correctly, on the days of court hearings, SB will have an on duty lawyer present in court to guide and assist in the practicalities in the moment but that is not her lawyer or 'representation'.

Since she's repeatedly refused to work with her appointed counsel, I'd like to see the judge appoint her new counsel and allow them to proceed without her.

I'm supposing she ate up every minute of her legal sessions with HER MOUTH. Because, of course, she's the smartest person in every room.

If we get to trial with her representing herself, Jodi Arias' trial will look like a somber affair.

JMO

Aside for justice for Jorge, I'm looking forward to this trial for entertainment value. I'm puzzled as to how it will proceed, there's absolutely no working with a defiant Narc, so whole thing will be an unmanageable circus.

In my estimation, SB will do whatever it takes to prevent the trial going ahead up to the point of 'acting out' in the court room. That could be by way of verbal outbursts, bizarre behaviours, or feigning / enacting medical events as well as possible self harm or violence. She could even legit have a mental break when she finally realises there's no way out of this. I think at some point she'll be prevented from attending her own hearing in person and the case will go ahead with whomsoever is the duty court lawyer and clerks.

IMO there's no way SB could be willing or able to sit in the court room whilst the prosecution play the video footage to the jury. JMO MOO

I watched a youtube vid of a lawyer who thought that she may legit be given extra time to prepare her case now she's been landed with it, for the sake of a fair trial, given plenty of opportunity etc. However, if she's just wasting time and being obstructive then that's a different matter.
The judge made clear she would not be given more time, and that the trial would go forward on schedule.

I agree with all your points and have the same questions.

I don't know how it works in the USA but here in the UK a person can absolutely be sentenced in their absence (ie refusing to attend / repeatedly refusing to leave cells).

I think, if I understood correctly, on the days of court hearings, SB will have an on duty lawyer present in court to guide and assist in the practicalities in the moment but that is not her lawyer or 'representation'.
Sentencing is not the same thing as the trial.

True. I'm not sure if the trial can go ahead if the prisoner repeatedly keeps saying they're medically unwell or refuses to leave their cell, need clarification from a US legally qualified person.

I'm a municipal court observer. I have observed a judge have a defendant removed from the courtroom for constantly being disruptive. Court continued without him, but he did have an attorney there who represented him in his absence. I'm not sure how things would proceed if the defendant was representing their own self.

I'm a municipal court observer. I have observed a judge have a defendant removed from the courtroom for constantly being disruptive. Court continued without him, but he did have an attorney there who represented him in his absence. I'm not sure how things would proceed if the defendant was representing their own self.
Does anybody want to be her lawyer? “Epic Opportunities Await!” Plus, spontaneous hide and seek sessions! (Probably ought to leave your luggage at home, just sayin’.)

She did not know she recorded it so couldn't delete.

She emphasized alot that she was lucid...never got drunk...Didn't like to get drunk. Then changed her story that it was alcohol that caused her to go upstairs. "Of course" he could put his finger in a hole to unzip himself and would join her.

I did not know she had moved the suitcase around with him in....this looks especially bad also.

I am watching the interrogation.

"I did not do this intentionally"

" All fun and happy that night. "

"Always took care of him."

Then....well...here's your phone .......take a look......WOW dramatic
Don't forget that the suitcase was originally upstairs when Jorge got in it, and the suitcase was later pushed down the stairs (with him in it). I neighbor told the police he heard something heavy falling down the stairs early that morning, as I recall. IMO

Don't forget that the suitcase was originally upstairs when Jorge got in it, and the suitcase was later pushed down the stairs (with him in it). I neighbor told the police he heard something heavy falling down the stairs early that morning, as I recall. IMO

It was also turned over / flipped whilst downstairs, per police interview and video footage they viewed. SB declined to watch the footage so maybe she's not sure what they've got, especially since most recent lawyer says she walked out of meetings every time she tried to present parts of discovery.

It was also turned over / flipped whilst downstairs, per police interview and video footage they viewed. SB declined to watch the footage so maybe she's not sure what they've got, especially since most recent lawyer says she walked out of meetings every time she tried to present parts of discovery.
If you watch her interrogation, you will see that she saw the video. She also has the discovery.

If you watch her interrogation, you will see that she saw the video. She also has the discovery.

She saw a part of the video and then refused to watch it IIRC. Was she also forced at a later time to sit through all of it? If not, my suspicion is she's never actually seen it because she's refusing to watch it.

How do you know she has the discovery, has this been verified now? She has now been handed everything?

I wonder why Jorge got into that suitcase? I wonder if he actually did? Playing hide and seek is just bologna. Maybe Sarah pushed him down the stairs and knocked him out, then she zipped him into the suitcase to protect herself from a beating when he revived? I just cant believe a grown man would willingly allow him to be zipped up into a piece of luggage. IMO.

I would need a link, that doesn't sound plausable unless it is how he got scuffed up and bruised but SB would have had to say that specifically, noises a nighbor hear could be anything.

I've also been wondering how on earth JT ended up inside the suitcase and fully zipped up. The idea that he could have been unconscious during that, or so incredibly wasted that he was unable to discern what he was doing in any way whilst she coaxed him in, is very persuasive. Or she had a gun to his head and forced him. Did they have any guns in the property? Or other people were involved.

JMO MOO

I've also been wondering how on earth JT ended up inside the suitcase and fully zipped up. The idea that he could have been unconscious during that, or so incredibly wasted that he was unable to discern what he was doing in any way whilst she coaxed him in, is very persuasive. Or she had a gun to his head and forced him. Did they have any guns in the property? Or other people were involved.

JMO MOO

I'm recalling that Jorge being put in the suitcase wasn't the first time Sarah was involved in putting someone in a suitcase and taking photos.

"Orange County deputies said four years ago they investigated the photo of the child in the suitcase that Sarah Boone posted on Facebook and found that there was no harm done. “That was investigated four years ago, and both our investigators and Department of Children and Families realized that was consensual, the kid wanted to get in there, the kid wanted the picture of being in the suitcase,” Sheriff John Mina said."

The child was okay, but obviously it was concerning enough at the time to have it investigated by DCF. After the incident with Jorge, I now wonder how "consensual" the child in the suitcase actually was.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back