Found Deceased IA - Abdullahi "Abdi" Sharif, 18, Des Moines, 17 Jan 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
When Makenzie Lueck was murdered, her college friends used their social media savvy to secure national and ongoing headlines- which helped find her- & solve the case. Families of other missing people asked them how they did it. They formed “Mackenzie’s Voice” to help people with that. Idk how things are coming along with their non-profit goals (less than a year old) but if I were Abdi’s fam, I’d contact them for help. MacKenzie’s Voice
When Makenzie Lueck’s fate was unknown there was still a lot of info being shared. Hard to keep any interest in Abdi’s case with nothing to talk about. Seems to be how it works in Iowa...

When Makenzie Lueck’s fate was unknown there was still a lot of info being shared. Hard to keep any interest in Abdi’s case with nothing to talk about. Seems to be how it works in Iowa...
Yes- that’s what I’m saying. These ladies kept ML’s story front & center with MSM. No one really picked up the story till THEY MADE IT VIRAL in SM. Then the details published. I don’t think it’s an IA issue. Lots of interest in many IA cases with little info- MT, Jodi, the college golfer a couple years ago... on & on. Abdi’s family needs help generating media interest & reporting. Media puts scrutiny & pressure on LE. Best thing for this case right now, imo.

Yes- that’s what I’m saying. These ladies kept ML’s story front & center with MSM. No one really picked up the story till THEY MADE IT VIRAL in SM. Then the details published. I don’t think it’s an IA issue. Lots of interest in many IA cases with little info- MT, Jodi, the college golfer a couple years ago... on & on. Abdi’s family needs help generating media interest & reporting. Media puts scrutiny & pressure on LE. Best thing for this case right now, imo.
You’re right, it’s not just an Iowa thing... but darn, as an Iowan I’m not real happy knowing that time and time again info that should be made public is being suppressed under the guise of “protecting the integrity of the investigation”. There’s so much LE could tell us about Abdi’s case right now. Yeah, I’m frustrated.

Hi all, I have been following this frustrating case and really hope that Abdi is found safe and brought home soon. Not too sure if this has been brought up...
I was thinking about his "bad bad news" snapchat and wondered if it was the title of a song that he likes and in fact I found one. Bad bad news is sung by Leon Bridges and the lyrics are interesting to me which then made me think, was he sending a message or hintng at something possibly the name (Leon) of a person he was meeting up with? I know it is far fetched but just trying to think of anything that might help bring Abdi home. Here is lyric link

Leon Bridges – Bad Bad News Lyrics | Genius Lyrics

And of course this is MOO.

Hi all, I have been following this frustrating case and really hope that Abdi is found safe and brought home soon. Not too sure if this has been brought up...
I was thinking about his "bad bad news" snapchat and wondered if it was the title of a song that he likes and in fact I found one. Bad bad news is sung by Leon Bridges and the lyrics are interesting to me which then made me think, was he sending a message or hintng at something possibly the name (Leon) of a person he was meeting up with? I know it is far fetched but just trying to think of anything that might help bring Abdi home. Here is lyric link

Interesting idea- as good as any with the lack of info we have. If it was some cryptic sort of message, my mind goes in a different direction. The sample segment on iTunes has a smooth jazz romantic vibe. Makes me wonder if he had a girlfriend/ex-girl/love interest but there was another guy in the way.

“got a heart that’s strong and a love that’s tall...
Ain’t got no name, ain’t got no fancy education
But I can see right through, a powdered face on a painted fool
[Pre-Chorus]
Let me slip through (Let me slip through)
Why you tryna hold me back? (I ain't)
I’m just tryna move up front
Lil more of this, lil less of that (Can you feel me?)
Let me come through (Let me come through)
I’m tired being in the back (Aight)
I’m just tryna move up front
A lil more of this, a lil less of that, yeah”

I wonder if the song has any significance or recognition with any of his fam or friends. Released 2015 so not too old.

Interesting indeed... if that was some cryptic reference, perhaps it only seems obscure to me because that’s not music I listen to.

The artist (Leon Bridges) is currently pretty popular. I see his 2018 album “Good Thing” debuted at number three on the US Billboard 200 and featured the single “Bad Bad News”.

He will be headlining the Hinterland Music Festival this summer in St Charles, IA (about 30 mins from Urbandale). Tickets didn’t go on sale for that until Feb 14th tho, but I wonder when it was announced?

If it’s a reference I don’t get it, but it sounds possible.

I've lived in both Iowa and Minnesota most of my life and I can say that when a Somali kid disappears or is killed the story usually fades from the headlines very fast. We had a double homicide in south Minneapolis near where I lived a couple years back and it was news for like a week tops. Left everybody scratching their heads and wondering what happened.
I would really like to see this featured on the Vanished podcast. I think the host does a really good job of giving the family space to tell their story.
I'd like to add that I'm kinda new to the forum and I hope my perspective on the racial aspects of the case are appropriate for this forum. I also hope my post isn't redundant as I have not yet read the entire thread.

I've lived in both Iowa and Minnesota most of my life and I can say that when a Somali kid disappears or is killed the story usually fades from the headlines very fast. We had a double homicide in south Minneapolis near where I lived a couple years back and it was news for like a week tops. Left everybody scratching their heads and wondering what happened.
I would really like to see this featured on the Vanished podcast. I think the host does a really good job of giving the family space to tell their story.
I'd like to add that I'm kinda new to the forum and I hope my perspective on the racial aspects of the case are appropriate for this forum. I also hope my post isn't redundant as I have not yet read the entire thread.
Not enough material for a podcast. I mean, read the news links - they’re struggling to fill a couple paragraphs.

Welcome to Websleuths, bruisedorange88! So glad that you're here, and thankful for your perspective on cases that involve missing Somali young people. I think you're on to something when it comes to their disappearances often fading quickly from the headlines.

I wonder... could it be that many Somalis who have been here only recently don't really *know* how to go about posting on SM here in North America (i. e., which sites would have the greatest number of views, etc.)? Seems as if we ought to be able to do something to help spread the word about Abdi's disappearance on SM. Maybe there's a WS member who is reading this right now who would be able to send out this info to a few key SM platforms?

Continuing to pray that Abdi would be located -- and *soon*.

Welcome to Websleuths, bruisedorange88! So glad that you're here, and thankful for your perspective on cases that involve missing Somali young people. I think you're on to something when it comes to their disappearances often fading quickly from the headlines.

I wonder... could it be that many Somalis who have been here only recently don't really *know* how to go about posting on SM here in North America (i. e., which sites would have the greatest number of views, etc.)? Seems as if we ought to be able to do something to help spread the word about Abdi's disappearance on SM. Maybe there's a WS member who is reading this right now who would be able to send out this info to a few key SM platforms?

Continuing to pray that Abdi would be located -- and *soon*.

There are some primally African American/African forums & platforms. He has a thread on the two I’m on.

Actually an entire “black & missing” topic.

Hi bruisedorange88, Abdi's sister, the PI, and Sgt. Parizek were all interviewed by Dateline NBC - see post #168 a page back - so they could end up doing a show on Abdi. Never know.

Welcome! :) MOO

Not enough material for a podcast. I mean, read the news links - they’re struggling to fill a couple paragraphs.

Thanks for the warm welcome you all! I've been kinda lurking for a long time and finally decided to try an contribute. I think the fact that there is not much to go on in this case makes it a good candidate for the Vanished podcast as she seems to focus on cases that slip from the public view due to lack of information. Perhaps I'll see if I can get in contact with her and see if she's heard of Abdi
I'm really happy to hear about the Dateline interview. That sort of exposure is bound to produce some leads.

I still think this could be related to college admissions. I wonder if the family has been able to determine whether any letters went out to him around the time that he went missing. He seems like a studious kid. But kids make mistakes at school and sometimes end up just missing acceptance to their dream school. It can be a lot of heartache for a motivated kid. It's really tough when your classmates know that you've applied to a certain school and then you find out that you didn't get in. You kind of feel embarrassed about it.

I still think this could be related to college admissions. I wonder if the family has been able to determine whether any letters went out to him around the time that he went missing. He seems like a studious kid. But kids make mistakes at school and sometimes end up just missing acceptance to their dream school. It can be a lot of heartache for a motivated kid. It's really tough when your classmates know that you've applied to a certain school and then you find out that you didn't get in. You kind of feel embarrassed about it.

Very good point. The message about bad bad news could be about this very thing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mconnectseo
Back