Found Deceased IA - Abdullahi "Abdi" Sharif, 18, Des Moines, 17 Jan 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
At first I questioned the thought of a bus, because of timing and the snow, but now I think it's the most practical way he got to Prospect Park. I think it's unlikely he would have met someone across the street at the AT&T store (unless it was an employee or someone who worked at a surrounding business). A little insight from a local's perspective: The Target at Merle Hay is a well-known meet-up spot. My SO sold his car in that parking lot. I've met friends there to go to nearby restaurants, because it's well-known and easily spotted. I didn't even know that AT&T store was there until my SO had to go there to get his new phone set up. So, yeah, JMO. If he was meeting someone for a ride, they would have picked him up at the Target parking lot.

At first I questioned the thought of a bus, because of timing and the snow, but now I think it's the most practical way he got to Prospect Park. I think it's unlikely he would have met someone across the street at the AT&T store (unless it was an employee or someone who worked at a surrounding business). A little insight from a local's perspective: The Target at Merle Hay is a well-known meet-up spot. My SO sold his car in that parking lot. I've met friends there to go to nearby restaurants, because it's well-known and easily spotted. I didn't even know that AT&T store was there until my SO had to go there to get his new phone set up. So, yeah, JMO. If he was meeting someone for a ride, they would have picked him up at the Target parking lot.

I think that is an excellent point. In looking at a map, the AT&T store is catty-corner to Target. The bus stop is at the AT&T store. If he was planning on catching a ride from a friend, I agree that it would be odd to meet there instead of in front of Target. MOO.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think we only know that he was walking in the AT&T parking lot, right? To get to the bus stop he would need to cross the street heading South and again cross the street heading East. He would walk near the AT&T parking lot, but not in or through it. Not even sure if the snow was piled to prevent it.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think we only know that he was walking in the AT&T parking lot, right? To get to the bus stop he would need to cross the street heading South and again cross the street heading East. He would walk near the AT&T parking lot, but not in or through it. Not even sure if the snow was piled to prevent it.

Police were able to trace him via surveillance video walking across the parking lot toward the street, and then finally in the AT&T parking lot nearby. That's the last sight of him. 'Every time I think about him I feel panic': Search party planned for missing Des Moines teen

In order to get the AT&T store parking lot, he would have to cross both Merle Hay and Douglas. There's a Verizon store on one corner and a US Cellular on the other. There's another bus stop by the McDonalds down from the Verizon store, that might be 14 not sure. The one in front of the AT&T store is 16. DART Local Route 16 – Douglas Avenue – DART Local Bus Routes

The Des Moines bus routes give me headaches. Our transit system is probably the worst I've experienced. I only use it when I'm going to the state fair because fair traffic gives me anxiety.

FEB 21, 2020
Abdullahi Sharif still missing: Volunteers gather to search areas of Des Moines

3519b446-059e-4f9c-8c2a-59471e82a612-Search1.JPG

b04ca5be-f26f-4de1-bf6a-76a7e16b8f21-Search3.JPG

d6ce19f7-4b4a-484f-ab3a-1ee4b0938139-Search7.jpg

45341a59-b504-4906-bc55-99b46f5b75fa-asp5.jpg

9f7a992d-30ad-44ab-a1bc-5d01e178353e-Search9.jpg

Thank you, @amland01, for the information about the ping. Coincidentally, there is a photo of the PI and the handout you mentioned in this set of photos. MOO

VIDEO: DIGITAL EXTRA: Search party formed for Abdi Sharif

The private detective hired on the case provided that information to the individuals who gathered to help search today. She handed out maps of the area to search, with one of the points being where the last ping was located (with the caveat that pings aren’t always totally accurate). She provided the time of the ping as well. The Des Moines Police Public Information Officer was also present at the meeting to assist, so I assume that the information is accurate.

Were you at the search? If so, thank you! Do you know if they’ll be planning another one?

Were you at the search? If so, thank you! Do you know if they’ll be planning another one?

The investigator is reviewing and interviewing now. There's no search planned but she said that some people plan to go out today but she isn't heading it up.

Here's what I don't understand. For whatever reason, a search wasn't organized until the 20th. I thought it was because they didn't have call phone data.

However, on Feb 8th, some young girl on Facebook was inviting people to go search with her and specifically mentioned stopping by the VA to see if they have video. Also, she stated he went eastbound on Douglas.

I was there yesterday. The news is reporting a ping near VA but we were told the ping was at the tower by Broadlawns. There are towers at the VA and Broadlawns so maybe it picked up both towers. I'm not quite sure how all that works.

He left Target at 5:30 PM
The phone pinged in the triangle area at 5:47

He couldn't have walked there that fast.

I was in the group with the investigator. There were 3 groups. We took notes of any cameras we passed by so she can go ask for video.

Hopefully, video surveillance will turn something up, however... It has been over a month and I don't know how long people keep their video footage.

Last edited by a moderator:
On Feb 8th, this lady was organizing a search. She had knowledge that he went East on Douglas and that's why she wanted to check the VA.

I can only speculate that she knew this because the video showed him getting on a bus.

There's a bus that would've taken him to into the area of the phone ping, leaving at 5:35 and getting to Beaver/Douglas at 5:42 but on a snowy day like that- 5:47 would definitely be possible. The next stop was 30th and Leado (usually 5:46) - if the bus drove about the speed limit and traffic wasn't bad, then he could've gotten off there.

The investigator has confirmed that the ping was at the tower by Auto Zone/Broadlawns but that the signal reaches the VA hospital and that's why the whole area is in question.

Otherwise, if he was seen being picked up by a car, the car could definitely get into the AutoZone/Broadlawns tower range within that timeframe especially if they drive like there's no snow on the ground.

Attachments

• received_1016549198715108.jpeg
    received_1016549198715108.jpeg
    81.2 KB · Views: 11
On Feb 8th, this lady was organizing a search. She had knowledge that he went East on Douglas and that's why she wanted to check the VA.

I can only speculate that she knew this because the video showed him getting on a bus.

There's a bus that would've taken him to into the area of the phone ping, leaving at 5:35 and getting to Beaver/Douglas at 5:42 but on a snowy day like that- 5:47 would definitely be possible. The next stop was 30th and Leado (usually 5:46) - if the bus drove about the speed limit and traffic wasn't bad, then he could've gotten off there.

The investigator has confirmed that the ping was at the tower by Auto Zone/Broadlawns but that the signal reaches the VA hospital and that's why the whole area is in question.

Otherwise, if he was seen being picked up by a car, the car could definitely get into the AutoZone/Broadlawns tower range within that timeframe especially if they drive like there's no snow on the ground.

The bus route makes sense, but again, if he was getting on route 14, why was he over by the AT&T store? I've been studying the metro routes the last couple days (which are confusing, I'd hate to be someone from outside of Des Moines trying to navigate them). I've lived here 10 years and I still struggle to make sense of them.

14 picks up right outside the mall by Panda Express. Why cross the road? Like I mentioned above, it's route 16 that picks up by the AT&T store and across the street.

One thing I wonder: Did Abdi frequently take the bus? How well did he know the routes?

I'm sensing he may have been lured over to the Broadlawns area by someone on an app his close friends and family may be unaware he used. Hope they can pick up something from the cameras noted in the search yesterday. As mentioned above, who knows how long they keep footage. :(

The bus route makes sense, but again, if he was getting on route 14, why was he over by the AT&T store? I've been studying the metro routes the last couple days (which are confusing, I'd hate to be someone from outside of Des Moines trying to navigate them). I've lived here 10 years and I still struggle to make sense of them.

14 picks up right outside the mall by Panda Express. Why cross the road? Like I mentioned above, it's route 16 that picks up by the AT&T store and across the street.

One thing I wonder: Did Abdi frequently take the bus? How well did he know the routes?

I'm sensing he may have been lured over to the Broadlawns area by someone on an app his close friends and family may be unaware he used. Hope they can pick up something from the cameras noted in the search yesterday. As mentioned above, who knows how long they keep footage. :(

I was thinking Route 16 in front of AT&T

They did announce that that is where he was last seen walking through the parking lot of AT&T which is right in front of AT&T by the road where the bus stop is. They immediately announced they found some evidence that he left on his own, so.. Video from AT&T showing him getting on a bus would make sense.

There is an African grocery store right where we were searching, on MLK. I am sure they looked into it but just in case I told the private investigator that may be a place to look into. I could see him possibly visiting that store to get things from back home on occasion so it could've been a familiar place to him.

The “bad news” from Snapchat definitely sounds like it could have been someone luring him to the Broadlawns/Prospect Park area with an urgent summons...someone he had been in contact with online who claimed they were either in the Broadlawns hospital or were “injured” or got robbed etc and needed to meet him near there...I am clueless regarding SNAPCHAT and if it is possible for investigators to trace who it was he was in contact with on an app like that...

I have read the posts about the cell phone pings. Just wondering how much info they can get from social media apps also.

...I am just guessing that the possible abductor was a Snapchat contact. If there was an online contact from any other platform I would hope there is technology to figure who/what/when/where/how etc...

There is an African grocery store right where we were searching, on MLK. I am sure they looked into it but just in case I told the private investigator that may be a place to look into. I could see him possibly visiting that store to get things from back home on occasion so it could've been a familiar place to him.

I'm familiar with at least one, but I google mapped "African stores" in Des Moines, and there's actually quite a few in the area! I saw one on Merle Hay Rd, and then several farther down on Douglas & one on E. Euclid. He could have taken route 16 to get there. DART Local Route 16 – Douglas Avenue – DART Local Bus Routes

Would his phone have been close enough to the appropriate tours there, though? Or maybe he switched buses at Lower Beaver. If he thought someone was hurt/sick, he might have thought to bring them their favorite food?

That’s an idea for sure, re: the African groceries and him wanting to help out someone. I never met Abdi but it seems like he may be a very sweet and trusting soul, someone easily taken advantage of...

I'm going with buses being behind schedule on Jan. 17th, because of the heavy snow. I just don't see them being on time. If Abdi is familiar with the bus routes, then I'm sure he would have used this trip planner to determine the best route for getting to his destination. Trip Planner | DART - Des Moines Area Regional Transit Authority

Route 16 or 14 are recommended to get to Broadlawns, so he could have taken route 16 even if he was going straight to Broadlawns.

Is speculation taking over now? This is where I first heard mention of a Bus.
So, if I understand correctly, the last ping was located in Prospect Park. This is about 4 miles from Merle Hay Mall. He left the mall (Target) around 5:30 and the last ping was between 5:33-5:47. That seems to indicate, assuming he was with his phone, that he got a ride from someone or took the bus. (Speculating based on time and location and I am not familiar with bus routes)

I also heard the Facebook chatter about checking the cameras at the VA, but the thread I followed did not mention any phone data. I thought at the time it was probably because we knew his direction of travel and we know the VA is pretty well covered with surveillance cameras, but there were several people speculating that he went there specifically. And now I’m really getting the impression that Prospect Park is yet another the product of somebody else’s speculation? And no, I’m not even going to speculate a possible abduction with nothing to even suggest that an abduction occurred.

I’d like to hear more details about the evidence police initially said they found indicating Abdi was voluntarily missing. To me that still appears to be the highest probability scenario the known evidence supports.

Unfortunately I was sick and unable to attend, so a friend live-streamed the meeting so I could watch :) I have not heard of any followup up searches, but I am not up to date on things today and will let you know if I hear of anything.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackie&Tim
Back