Found Deceased IA - Abdullahi "Abdi" Sharif, 18, Des Moines, 17 Jan 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
business_detail_T6_R77.php
Is speculation taking over now? This is where I first heard mention of a Bus.

And now I’m really getting the impression that Prospect Park is yet another the product of somebody else’s speculation?

Bus: correct...I said I was speculating that he got a ride or took a bus based on the time he left Target and the location of the last ping. It’s approximately 4 miles. That was probably the first mention of the possibility of a bus. I know that all the DART busses have video cameras, so I mentioned that I assume the police would know whether or not he got on a bus (if the cameras were working). But I haven’t seen anything factually mentioned on whether or not that happened. IF (speculation) he did take a bus, the 16 route picks up in front of AT&T store at 5:35 and would go to the area of the last ping. That is why I was curious if we knew the exact time the cameras saw him leaving Target. But it is my understanding all we have is that he left around 5:30.

Prospect Park is adjacent to Broadlawns hospital ( on the north and east side of the hospital). The detective made mention of Prospect Park and Broadlawns yesterday. I would assume the locations were used interchangeably in regards to the general location of the last ping since I would ASSUME it is referring to the same tower. The area of the search was a triangle. One of the points being the VA, one point being close to Drake University (but not that far), and the other being the area of the last ping: Prospect Park (Broadlawns).

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
business_detail_T6_R77.php

Bus: correct...I said I was speculating that he got a ride or took a bus based on the time he left Target and the location of the last ping. It’s approximately 4 miles. That was probably the first mention of the possibility of a bus. I know that all the DART busses have video cameras, so I mentioned that I assume the police would know whether or not he got on a bus (if the cameras were working). But I haven’t seen anything factually mentioned on whether or not that happened. IF (speculation) he did take a bus, the 16 route picks up in front of AT&T store at 5:35 and would go to the area of the last ping. That is why I was curious if we knew the exact time the cameras saw him leaving Target. But it is my understanding all we have is that he left around 5:30.

Prospect Park is right next to Broadlawns hospital. The detective made mention of Prospect Park and Broadlawns yesterday. I would assume the locations were used interchangeably in regards to the general location of the last ping since I would ASSUME it is referring to the same tower. The area of the search was a triangle. One of the points being the VA, one point being close to Drake University (but not that far), and the other being the area of the last ping: Prospect Park (Broadlawns).

Hope that helps!

Thanks for clarifying this information.
In cases like this, I know investigators are wary to give out information because, if foul play was involved, they don't want to tip off anyone person(s) involved. I just think if he was seen getting into a car, there'd be a "vehicle of interest" mentioned at least. If he was getting on a bus, it's a lot harder to track where he ended up. He could have just as easily gone to someone's house in the area.

Thanks for clarifying this information.
In cases like this, I know investigators are wary to give out information because, if foul play was involved, they don't want to tip off anyone person(s) involved. I just think if he was seen getting into a car, there'd be a "vehicle of interest" mentioned at least. If he was getting on a bus, it's a lot harder to track where he ended up. He could have just as easily gone to someone's house in the area.
As mentioned earlier, DART buses have cameras.

As mentioned earlier, DART buses have cameras.

yes, I've heard that - hopefully LE has reached out to DART (IF they believe he got on a bus) to determine where he got off. I've seen zero mention of how investigators believe his phone pinged in the Broadlawns/Prospect Park area.

yes, I've heard that - hopefully LE has reached out to DART (IF they believe he got on a bus) to determine where he got off. I've seen zero mention of how investigators believe his phone pinged in the Broadlawns/Prospect Park area.

Zero mention from who/what? That's what they told us yesterday. The phone pinged at the tower near Broadlawns and the signal from that tower reaches the VA so the phone could've been anywhere in that area.

Zero mention from who/what? That's what they told us yesterday. The phone pinged at the tower near Broadlawns and the signal from that tower reaches the VA so the phone could've been anywhere in that area.

I meant, how they believed his phone got to that area. There was speculation he may have been seen on camera getting on a DART bus, but no confirmation of that from an official source. Given the timeline, he had to take a bus or be driven to the area. We don't know what exactly was seen on the Merle Hay camera to lead police to originally believe he left voluntarily (ie, getting on a bus or getting in someone's vehicle).

There is an African grocery store right where we were searching, on MLK. I am sure they looked into it but just in case I told the private investigator that may be a place to look into. I could see him possibly visiting that store to get things from back home on occasion so it could've been a familiar place to him.

Great insight, thanks!! I wonder if the African restaurant (or really, any businesses) would’ve been open then. A ton of businesses started closing down early that day throughout various parts of town. My husband works at a credit union in Des Moines and they closed around 4 (which is a big deal for Fridays at a bank!). We had dinner reservations in West Des Moines and the restaurant closed around then too. Some others in my suburb that closed late that afternoon/early evening were Subway, McDonald’s and Hy-Vee, a local grocery store.

Also, Merle Hay Mall didn’t close, but the other two malls in town closed at 5pm.

I believe Jan. 17th is the day I closed the office early at my work. We had several weeks of bad weather on Fridays in a row, and I believe, if I'm remembering correctly, that was the worst one. My car got stuck on the drive home, and I remember seeing social media posts upset that Merle Hay Mall wasn't closing like all the other malls (for employee safety). I know the snow had died down by afternoon, but the wind was horrible. I remember coming to work the next morning, on Saturday, and the roads were still difficult. That's why my initial reaction was he froze to death or got caught up in bad weather, but I don't know how he wouldn't have been found by this point!!

ETA: This was the post I was referring to, posted at 5:00 p.m. by Merle Hay Mall's Facebook page.

Merle Hay Mall

Last edited:
I know everyone knows this, but let’s not forget that he 1) told his mom he had to work late at Target around same time he was leaving Target and 2) snap saying he got very bad news around the same time. Sure, things could be coincidental, but seems unlikely.

this is ALL speculation, but I feel it would have to be something along the lines of: there is someone mom didn’t want him associating with, he was told that person was badly hurt and at Broadlawns so told mom he had to work late as a cover, it was just a ruse to get him there and something nefarious happened. OR he did want to take off and told his mom he had to work late to give him some lead time to take off. Again...only theories. Just trying to think of different scenarios where all these things fit together. Sigh. MOO

Sadly I think something nefarious happened to him as a result of a ruse and that he fully expected to meet his Mom back at Target after a possible meetup...

He wouldn’t have wanted his mother to make a trip out at night in that treacherous weather for no reason...

Last edited:
Unless someone talks, he frees himself or God forbid a body is found, more detailed video footage would seem to be the “only hope” we have to find this young man.

Something that seriously angers me about cases like this, involving older teens, is that IF any of his friends knew or suspected what kind of “unsavory/forbidden” characters he may have secretly been in contact with, they would not tell...possibly because they too are on the same apps doing the same things...or they fear retribution...or they just have not been raised to know to do the right thing.

I know everyone knows this, but let’s not forget that he 1) told his mom he had to work late at Target around same time he was leaving Target and 2) snap saying he got very bad news around the same time. Sure, things could be coincidental, but seems unlikely.

this is ALL speculation, but I feel it would have to be something along the lines of: there is someone mom didn’t want him associating with, he was told that person was badly hurt and at Broadlawns so told mom he had to work late as a cover, it was just a ruse to get him there and something nefarious happened. OR he did want to take off and told his mom he had to work late to give him some lead time to take off. Again...only theories. Just trying to think of different scenarios where all these things fit together. Sigh. MOO

Re: your first paragraph - that’s a great point. He didn’t tell his mom that he was “working late” until around 5, 30 minutes before his shift actually ended. Even if the “bad news” Snapchat isn’t related (which would seem to be a big coincidence if not), that makes me think whatever caused him to disappear, voluntarily or involuntarily, was set into motion quickly.

A few more random observations...

The article below says in the surveillance video of him leaving Target, he appears to be texting someone and has his headphones in his ears. After apparently sending the text, he puts his phone AND headphones away. If he was texting someone, he wouldn’t need headphones in, so I’m speculating he was likely listening to music. So maybe when he got done sending the text, he put his headphones away because he would be meeting with someone shortly and it would be weird (to me) to meet someone with their headphones in.

Also, since it was Friday I wonder if Abdi got paid that day? From researching online, it looks like Target employees get paid bi-weekly, but I don’t know if that would’ve been his week to get paid. Did he possibly have a lot of cash on hand from payday that someone knew about? IF it was payday, it’s likely the pay was for the previous 2 weeks, December 29ish to January 11ish. Kids didn’t go back to school from winter break until Thursday, January 2 so he had opportunity to get a lot of hours in the beginning of that timeframe.

But payday being involved then raises other issues. If he had direct deposit and made a big withdrawal, there would be record of that. We haven’t heard anything about that, though that doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. And if it was a paper check, Target would have record of it being cashed. Based on the tight timeframe between when he left Target and when his last ping was, there’s virtually no way he would’ve been able to cash it in that short amount of time, so it would make no sense to harm him (again, assuming the last ping is when/if something nefarious happened to him). There is always the possibility that, again, if he got paid a paper check that day, he went to Target earlier in the day to get it and cashed it before his shift. I don’t think there’s anywhere in or near the mall where he could’ve done it on a break.

'Every time I think about him I feel panic': Search party planned for missing Des Moines teen

Last edited:
Re: banks...I believe there are several banks right across the street from Target/Merle Hay Mall..?

There are, but do banks cash payroll checks if you aren’t a member? I remember when I worked at McDonald’s as a teenager (worst job ever!) back before I had a bank account, I had to go to HyVee or Dahl’s to have them cash my paycheck for a fee. There are a couple of check cashing places on Merle Hay down the road from the AT&T store, but I think those are unlikely just for a couple reasons that are all assumptions on my part haha. I bet check cashing places have tons of cameras around them and they may or may not have been open because of the snowstorm and they aren’t in quick walking distance (especially since I’m guessing the sidewalks weren’t cleared much during the day). That doesn’t mean someone couldn’t have given him a ride over break or something, but then I go back to the likelihood of video surveillance at those type of places.

Ugh, everything I think of just takes me in circles! I can’t imagine how the family is feeling.

Going in circles for sure...this case just makes my mind spin. Great information and thoughts regarding the banks and bank accounts/check cashing/cameras...if Abdi had been to any of those places surely we would have footage. Such a mystery.

FEB 23, 2020
'Everybody misses him': A timeline of Abdi Sharif's missing person case
  • On Jan. 20, the Des Moines Police Dept announced a missing person case was opened for Abdullahi "Abdi" Sharif. He was last seen Jan. 17.
  • On the same day, the family spoke with KCCI about his case.
  • Kevin Biggs, Roosevelt High School's principal, spoke to KCCI 24 hours after Abdi Sharif was pronounced missing.
  • Family spoke to KCCI again on Jan. 22, five days since he was last seen.
  • During a press conference on Jan. 29, nine days since Abdi was announced missing, the family offered a reward for information leading to his return.
  • LE spoke to KCCI after the press conference. Sgt. Paul Parizek said that the case was perplexing and they hadn't ruled out foul play.
  • Roosevelt HS students held a fundraiser Feb. 7, to support Abdi's case.
  • During it's game Feb. 16 to spread awareness for students with special needs, Roosevelt HS students handed out ribbons in support of Abdi.
  • Abdi's family pleads with the community for help finding him. They address the comparison of Abdi's case to Mollie Tibbetts.
  • On Feb. 21, community members gathered to physically search for Abdi.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackie&Tim
Back