IA IA - David Schultz, 53, Wall Lake, 21 November 2023 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing that bothers me about the friend that almost ran into his truck at 5:30, then again at 7:30 on his way back, is that he said he knew DS, and that whatever was the problem, he thought he had it handled. But if he knows DS and knows his work ethic/ character, wouldn’t he also question why he would park his truck like that? SS has said that many times in interviews that anyone that knows DS, knows he wouldn’t leave his truck like that. It’s still pitch black at 5:30 am and just getting light at 7:30. I am from rural Iowa myself, and would find that odd. But that’s just me I guess. We have reported cows out before. Not to get anyone in trouble, but out of concern for motorists safety and the cows. Plus the farmer may not even know they are out. And this is MOO, not insinuating anything. Just strange to me that his truck sat there for nearly 14 hours without being reported. And then again maybe it was reported and nothing was done about it.

With hindsight, knowing there wasn't actually anything wrong with David's truck, it's possible to say he wouldn't have chosen to park it like that. But the friend didn't know what had happened.

If David's truck had broken down, he would have had no choice other than to bring the truck to a halt wherever he safely could. On that particular road, narrow and with no shoulder, he would have either had to park on the road or in the ditch. Neither are good options but one is unquestionably better than the other.

I keep shaking off the “medical emergency” because:
IMO, he had his phone and there was a house or 2 on the road near where he stopped. If he felt that bad, as to get out of the truck, I’d think he would call someone. Just don’t think it was medical. On the other hand-would someone be so bold as to stop a random trucker (don’t know if he’s alone, a big man…) just to harm him? Stealing nothing?
I would think if it was a random act of violence, the perp(s) would target a vehicle not an 18 wheeler. Guess criminals arent scared!
What happened DS?

With hindsight, knowing there wasn't actually anything wrong with David's truck, it's possible to say he wouldn't have chosen to park it like that. But the friend didn't know what had happened.

If David's truck had broken down, he would have had no choice other than to bring the truck to a halt wherever he safely could. On that particular road, narrow and with no shoulder, he would have either had to park on the road or in the ditch. Neither are good options but one is unquestionably better than the other.
I agree with you. I guess I was referring more to the fact that the safety triangles weren’t put up. But if the friend wasn’t familiar with truckers requirements he probably wouldn’t have thought much about it.

I agree with you. I guess I was referring more to the fact that the safety triangles weren’t put up. But if the friend wasn’t familiar with truckers requirements he probably wouldn’t have thought much about it.

Some of David's previous violations back in 2015 were for not carrying proper safety equipment, although in that case I think it was fire extinguishers. I don't think any mention has been made of whether he had safety cones/triangles in the truck; I hope he did.

If someone else was involved, who would DS stop to help in the middle of delivering a load? For example, if somebody called him and said I have a flat tire, can you come help me?

Would you drive your load of pigs when you are already late to go meet this person to help them? Or would you say hang on, I need to deliver this load first.

If someone else was involved, who would DS stop to help in the middle of delivering a load? For example, if somebody called him and said I have a flat tire, can you come help me?

Would you drive your load of pigs when you are already late to go meet this person to help them? Or would you say hang on, I need to deliver this load first.

This is confusing to me also.

Sarah and others say David would never let anything distract him from delivering a load. They also say he would give people a lift and try to help them, and have cited that as a possible reason for him driving in the wrong direction.

But it feels like those two things contradict each other to at least some degree.

The thing that bothers me about the friend that almost ran into his truck at 5:30, then again at 7:30 on his way back, is that he said he knew DS, and that whatever was the problem, he thought he had it handled. But if he knows DS and knows his work ethic/ character, wouldn’t he also question why he would park his truck like that? SS has said that many times in interviews that anyone that knows DS, knows he wouldn’t leave his truck like that. It’s still pitch black at 5:30 am and just getting light at 7:30. I am from rural Iowa myself, and would find that odd. But that’s just me I guess. We have reported cows out before. Not to get anyone in trouble, but out of concern for motorists safety and the cows. Plus the farmer may not even know they are out. And this is MOO, not insinuating anything. Just strange to me that his truck sat there for nearly 14 hours without being reported. And then again maybe it was reported and nothing was done about it.
I agree totally, it doesn't seem like much of a "friend". Maybe the first time passing, I can see how a person wouldn't think too much hmmm. The second time is more of a what the heck moment?? Maybe DO something to check it out. It's just me though...thats what I would do. JMO

This is confusing to me also.

Sarah and others say David would never let anything distract him from delivering a load. They also say he would give people a lift and try to help them, and have cited that as a possible reason for him driving in the wrong direction.

But it feels like those two things contradict each other to at least some degree.
I seem to recall her saying in that 52 min interview that he’d help anyone but would deliver a load first and then go back to get the person, but it would be someone he knew. She said he didn’t pick up hitchhikers, for example. She said something about him not letting just anyone in the cab, just her and the boys.

I seem to recall her saying in that 52 min interview that he’d help anyone but would deliver a load first and then go back to get the person, but it would be someone he knew. She said he didn’t pick up hitchhikers, for example. She said something about him not letting just anyone in the cab, just her and the boys.

In which case we can probably discount any notion that David drove north to help somebody.

a trucker may arrive prior to a scheduled delivery/pick-up time, park in the vicinity, and possibly catch a few zzz's in a quiet area. We know there are hog barns throughout the county and this friend would not necessarily know where DS was delivering to, he may pick-up and deliver with several locations.
Note: A disabled trucker does not need any help, they have other sources (cell, cb radio). The hospital was just up the road on 71 South if DS not feeling well, and his wife and family nearby. Many issues can only be fixed during normal business hours, he would have to leave it there until help can arrive.
DS did not abandon his loaded truck in that location, IMO.

Last edited:
Concluded that likely DS left in another vehicle.

The mysteries are many: why, who was driver, what were circumstances, and why no evidence of where DS is now, whether dead or alive.

Could the friend that allegedly drove by the parked truck twice be the vehicle?

Wish had more faith in the Sheriff.

Someone or ones close by knows.

a trucker may arrive prior to a scheduled delivery/pick-up time, park in the vicinity, and possibly catch a few zzz's in a quiet area. We know there are hog barns throughout the county and this friend would not necessarily know where DS was delivering to, he may pick-up and deliver with several locations.
Note: A disabled trucker does not need any help, they have other sources (cell, cb radio). The hospital was just up the road on 71 South if DS not feeling well, and his wife and family nearby. Many issues can only be fixed during normal business hours, he would have to leave it there until help can arrive.
DS did not abandon his loaded truck in that location, IMO.
Agreed. And his home and wife were just about 22 miles away as well. She’d jet up there in a heart beat to pick him up if need be.

If David had wanted to park up and sleep, N14 would be a fairly quiet road to do it on. But he'd almost certainly deliver his load first, and he was so close to home that he might as well drive back to his family and his own bed.

If David was having a medical issue, the hospital is actually closer to Hwy 20 than where the truck was found. It would make no sense to drive that way, particularly with David being a Sac City native.

If someone needed David's help, recent posts have made it seem incredibly unlikely that David would do anything without dropping off his load first.

Hwy 71, and particularly N14, are not very wide--but the Hwy 20/71 intersection *is* wider. Forcing a truck to turn the wrong way at the intersection wouldn't be easy, IMO.

I feel David must have chosen to turn that way. The only two reasons I can think of (ignoring the endless minutiae) are that he either intended to park up and walk away -- whether to disappear or to self-harm -- or that he was having a clandestine meeting with someone.

It's worth noting that if David had made an appointment to meet someone, say at 12:45am, he would have already delivered his load if he hadn't been running late.

Honestly, I can’t make foul play really work in my head but I think it’s because I’m hung up on the money not being taken. My bias about that piece is I’m sure muddling my addled brain on that part. If it wasn’t for the scent dog tracking his scent only a short distance (I know there is no certainty with those amazing animals and it was so much later as well), I’d be thinking solidly it was a medical event and DS just hasn’t been found, which we know happens in so many missing persons cases.
I reeeeeaaaaaallllly don’t feel it was a voluntary walk away, or self harm. This one is going to gnaw at my brain until there are definitive answers, if there ever are any. Cannot imagine what his wife and loved ones are going through. All just MOO as usual.
I think his money could be left behind, even in a foul play situation, if they had lured him away from the truck. They might have thrown him into a vehicle and never looked into his truck?

Maybe this was revenge against him for something and not a robbery?

All I can come up with is perhaps he messed with the wrong woman and a crazy jealous husband went after him?

What I find weird is - as far as we've heard - SS's friend was the only person who saw his truck sitting there. Apparently it was there from ~12:40 a.m. until after 2:00 or so the next afternoon - does no one else ever go down that road?

Aren't there other pig places that trucks would drive to on that road aside from the place SS's friend went to to feed their pigs? Doesn't Iowa highway patrol do patrols, or the local sheriff deputies, or anyone?

Just seems so strange for at least 12 hours only one vehicle passed that truck sitting in the middle of the road with its lights and engine off. Surreally strange.
I think most people ignore it, and assume he just stepped away, and things are OK. JMO

I think his money could be left behind, even in a foul play situation, if they had lured him away from the truck. They might have thrown him into a vehicle and never looked into his truck?

Maybe this was revenge against him for something and not a robbery?

All I can come up with is perhaps he messed with the wrong woman and a crazy jealous husband went after him?
Yes, a jealous husband or boyfriend situation is a definite possibility. Based on nothing factual, I mean, just yet another possibility in the grand scheme of life.

What I find weird is - as far as we've heard - SS's friend was the only person who saw his truck sitting there. Apparently it was there from ~12:40 a.m. until after 2:00 or so the next afternoon - does no one else ever go down that road?

Aren't there other pig places that trucks would drive to on that road aside from the place SS's friend went to to feed their pigs? Doesn't Iowa highway patrol do patrols, or the local sheriff deputies, or anyone?

Just seems so strange for at least 12 hours only one vehicle passed that truck sitting in the middle of the road with its lights and engine off. Surreally strange.
The north-south road his truck was located on is NOT a well traveled road. The intersecting road running East-West just south of it (190th St) is more traveled but nowhere near as traveled as highway 20 or 71. So I think it’s very possible only a handful of cars would have passed him over the course of a day. And we’ve read here that many folks with farming experience see trucks pulled over frequently for various reasons and wouldn’t think anything of it, so not a bizarre sight to see.

Yes, a jealous husband or boyfriend situation is a definite possibility. Based on nothing factual, I mean, just yet another possibility in the grand scheme of life.
exactly---I have no reason to believe he had any romantic entanglements. Just trying to imagine what kind of a scenario would end up with him being targeted by someone and carted off.

exactly---I have no reason to believe he had any romantic entanglements. Just trying to imagine what kind of a scenario would end up with him being targeted by someone and carted off.
Yes, and being carted away to me would mean either someone super strong, or two men who could do it more easily unless he was ordered into a car at gunpoint and climbed in himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crackerjack82