IA IA - David Schultz, 53, Wall Lake, 21 November 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that Sparky’s was convenient with plenty of parking and a ping near Brushy Creek would have sent them searching there. Was that the last ping from his phone? Even though that part of Iowa is very rural, there should have been at least several pings between where David picked up the hogs in Eagle Grove and Sac City. Was the phone shut off after the Brushy Creek area ping? We know the cellphone was in David’s truck when it was found, so does LE believe that David was not with his truck when it was left at Union/190th St.?
Even though the ping near Brushy Creek does not pinpoint that David was there, the Recreation Area is popular with horseback riders and has a separate campground dedicated to equestrians. That indicates large parking areas that would accommodate horse trailers, (and possibly semi’s). They likely have few campers at this time of year. The showers and restrooms are closed, but there are vault toilets available. Did David pull in there contemplating self harm? Or did David stop at Sparky’s and have an encounter with someone who forced him to drive to Brushy Creek?
Either of these scenarios do not explain why David’s truck ended up where it did. Head scratching going on here….
I'd like more info on the video from Sparky's. We have some info, but not info about what is on the camera from start to finish of the video. jmo

There is a tremendous amount of money and resources going into finding David. I hope that if there was anything nefarious going on and anyone involved with the search knows about it, the searchers are reimbursed. The thought of knowingly allowing resources to be used when someone knows what happened to David is just unfathomable. I hope he is found soon.

I'd like more info on the video from Sparky's. We have some info, but not info about what is on the camera from start to finish of the video. jmo
David would have passed this Sparky's Truck Stop on both his trip to Eagle Grove and again after loading and en-route to Sac City. If David was seen at Sparky's on video early in the evening hous prior to loading, I don't see the significant, since it has obviously been confirmed he picked up his load at Eagle Grove (the little pork chops were in the trailer).

But if David was seen at Sparky's on video after loading in Eagle Grove, and video clearly shows David was not in any distress at the time he got back into his truck, that would be very significant to the investigation. If this is a criminal case then something must have happened after the point David exited the store and returned to his truck.

I would assume at this hour in the morning David would have parked at the truck fuel island which are normally heavily covered by security cameras to capture information helpful in cases of people driving away without paying for fuel. If someone would have entered the truck while David was inside the store while parked there, I think that would have been captured on video. Or at the very least activity in the parking lot would have been captured.

This Sparky's is a fairly new store, since the place burned to the ground in 2021 when a semi caught fire while parked at the truck fuel island which also caught the building on fire. This new store likely has the latest in surveillance cameras and technology. I did find one recent picture of a camera that covers one side of the building (circled in red), from this picture you can see a semi in the refection of the window so I think there are cameras covering some of the area where trucks park. But I haven't found any pictures showing the location of any other outside cameras pointing directly at the truck fuel island or other areas of the parking lot. The truck fuel island is the island that is pictured.

If you look at the current Google Satellite image and Street View, I believe these images are of the station before the fire. You can actually Street View into the parking lot. The truck fuel island shown in these Google images show the truck fuel island connected to the building. After the fire the truck fuel island was rebuilt and moved away from the store. (Ya, that's a no brainer)

Any locals willing to go on a field trip to document where cameras are located inside and outside on the new Sparky's building?

JMO

Sparky's 1.jpg

JMO

David would have passed this Sparky's Truck Stop on both his trip to Eagle Grove and again after loading and en-route to Sac City. If David was seen at Sparky's on video early in the evening hous prior to loading, I don't see the significant, since it has obviously been confirmed he picked up his load at Eagle Grove (the little pork chops were in the trailer).

But if David was seen at Sparky's on video after loading in Eagle Grove, and video clearly shows David was not in any distress at the time he got back into his truck, that would be very significant to the investigation. If this is a criminal case then something must have happened after the point David exited the store and returned to his truck.

I would assume at this hour in the morning David would have parked at the truck fuel island which are normally heavily covered by security cameras to capture information helpful in cases of people driving away without paying for fuel. If someone would have entered the truck while David was inside the store while parked there, I think that would have been captured on video. Or at the very least activity in the parking lot would have been captured.

This Sparky's is a fairly new store, since the place burned to the ground in 2021 when a semi caught fire while parked at the truck fuel island which also caught the building on fire. This new store likely has the latest in surveillance cameras and technology. I did find one recent picture of a camera that covers one side of the building (circled in red), from this picture you can see a semi in the refection of the window so I think there are cameras covering some of the area where trucks park. But I haven't found any pictures showing the location of any other outside cameras pointing directly at the truck fuel island or other areas of the parking lot. The truck fuel island is the island that is pictured.

If you look at the current Google Satellite image and Street View, I believe these images are of the station before the fire. You can actually Street View into the parking lot. The truck fuel island shown in these Google images show the truck fuel island connected to the building. After the fire the truck fuel island was rebuilt and moved away from the store. (Ya, that's a no brainer)

Any locals willing to go on a field trip to document where cameras are located inside and outside on the new Sparky's building?

JMO

View attachment 465857

JMO

I also wonder if a truck stop like that would have video inside of the gas station pumps so they could keep tabs on what may be happening at them as the staff sits inside. I recall having to pump my own gas once and the display wasn't obvious as far as swiping the card, selecting the gas, etc. After a few attempts, this voice on a loudspeaker over my head came on - "Pump number 3, is there a problem?" Scared the heck out of me. But apparently I was being watched, and this was probably more than 20 years ago.

I also looked at satellite images wondering if he could have stopped somewhere between Sparky's and where his truck was found - like a diner, bar, etc. - and there is absolutely nothing like that between Rt 4 and 71.

I also wonder if a truck stop like that would have video inside of the gas station pumps so they could keep tabs on what may be happening at them as the staff sits inside. I recall having to pump my own gas once and the display wasn't obvious as far as swiping the card, selecting the gas, etc. After a few attempts, this voice on a loudspeaker over my head came on - "Pump number 3, is there a problem?" Scared the heck out of me. But apparently I was being watched, and this was probably more than 20 years ago.

I also looked at satellite images wondering if he could have stopped somewhere between Sparky's and where his truck was found - like a diner, bar, etc. - and there is absolutely nothing like that between Rt 4 and 71.
This is why they searched that area. How do you get a semi to stop?

Does the existence of the wallet and phone in the truck, and the presence of the truck just parked by itself go against the idea of foul play by someone needing a ride or $?
Wallet and money found in the truck sure doesn't make it look like robbery was the motive if foul play is involved.

Assuming you mean David stopped and picked someone up that needed a ride or that person got in the truck possibly at Sparky's or where David loaded after telling David they needed a ride maybe close to where David's truck was found.

If someone just needing a ride they would have needed a way to transport David, dead or alive, away from where the truck was found. It would be pretty hard to carry someone a considerable distance. To me that means another person with a vehicle had to be involved, unless someone had a vehicle planted where the truck was found parked. Either way that would mean the whole thing was planned.

The truck was found parked about 4 miles north of Hwy 20. According to what David's wife has said David shouldn't even been traveling in that direction on that road. For someone to act alone and plant a vehicle where the truck was found means to me that person needed to get at least 4 miles to the south to even be on the same route where David was driving. Doesn't seem practical for someone to walk 4 miles under the assumption they may be able to get David to stop and give them a ride. Walking to Sparky's or Eagle Grove from where the truck was found I think we can all agree is most likley out of the question.

JMO

Sorry...I've been unable to completely catch up on all posts on this case, but you say we have some info about the video from Sparky's. Is there a video? And what is the info we know? TIA.

Wallet and money found in the truck sure doesn't make it look like robbery was the motive if foul play is involved.

Assuming you mean David stopped and picked someone up that needed a ride or that person got in the truck possibly at Sparky's or where David loaded after telling David they needed a ride maybe close to where David's truck was found.

If someone just needing a ride they would have needed a way to transport David, dead or alive, away from where the truck was found. It would be pretty hard to carry someone a considerable distance. To me that means another person with a vehicle had to be involved, unless someone had a vehicle planted where the truck was found parked. Either way that would mean the whole thing was planned.

The truck was found parked about 4 miles north of Hwy 20. According to what David's wife has said David shouldn't even been traveling in that direction on that road. For someone to act alone and plant a vehicle where the truck was found means to me that person needed to get at least 4 miles to the south to even be on the same route where David was driving. Doesn't seem practical for someone to walk 4 miles under the assumption they may be able to get David to stop and give them a ride. Walking to Sparky's or Eagle Grove from where the truck was found I think we can all agree is most likley out of the question.

JMO
I’ve wondered if someone could have followed him from the loading site. That would explain another vehicle. ??? Just my opinion/thoughts. It seems almost unlikely that it was a random act of violence since his belongings were in the truck. This whole timeline thing and where the truck was found and the length of time it sat there just baffles me. This “friend” that almost hit his truck at 5:30 am??? It’s dark, the truck is turned off, no lights, trailer full of pigs. And they didn’t think that was odd? Or maybe they did call it in and nothing was done about it? Also, how much contact do drivers have with dispatchers? Do they keep regular communication so dispatch can inform barns etc when to expect loads etc? Seems odd they didn’t know sooner that DS didn’t show up. Just my thoughts and opinions.

JMO
Unless this a road that is commonly used by drivers to deliver livestock. Wonder if there are certain times or days they go thru?

I remember early on when we had numerous discussions about where exactly David’s truck was found. A lot of the confusion stemmed from the fact that it was reported that the truck was found on Hwy 71 about 5 miles north of OLD Hwy 20. We later learned that Hwy 71 became Union Ave /N14 after it crossed Hwy 20. (Hwy 71 actually merges with Hwy 20 westbound for several miles before turning north.)
I asked if Old Hwy 20 was a different route than Hwy 20. It is. It turns out that Old Hwy 20 is actually 255th St. So why are they using Old Hwy 20 as a reference point instead of the new Hwy 20, the route David was most likely traveling on as he headed west towards Sac City and his drop off point? I think it’s because there is a pig company right near the intersection of 71 and Old Hwy 20 at 3114 255th St, Sac City. If this is the drop off location it explains why David’s wife said the truck was facing north in the wrong direction. He should have been going south on 71 not north on Union Ave when he got off (new) Hwy 20.
I am attaching a map for those of us who do better when we can visualize locations/directions.
The second attachment is the Google maps street view as you exit Hwy 20 westbound at the Sac City exit. David would take a left here at the stop sign to go towards Sac City proper. If he took a right, he would go towards the location where his truck was found about 4 miles up the road.
If David is on video at Sparky’s and nothing seems amiss, the next logical spot where David could be accosted, in my opinion, is at this stop sign. If David was targeted for some reason, (and apparently robbery is not the reason), would the perp know that David would be returning to this intersection during a certain time frame? It is a better location than either the pick up spot or the drop off spot, or Sparky’s, because there are no cameras and no witnesses, and David’s truck would be stopped and approachable.

Attachments

• IMG_0141.jpeg
    IMG_0141.jpeg
    161.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0143.jpeg
    IMG_0143.jpeg
    137.7 KB · Views: 31
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics