IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #13

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
While I agree with you on the dangers of it, it makes me sad to think that it's too dangerous for kids to go out riding their bikes or anyone (including kids) to go out cycling, jogging, walking, etc. and listen to music.

Agree fully. I use to trail run to really enjoy nature. Will no longer do....and don't me get me going. :furious:

While I agree with you on the dangers of it, it makes me sad to think that it's too dangerous for kids to go out riding their bikes or anyone (including kids) to go out cycling, jogging, walking, etc. and listen to music.

I would be more concerned about the possibility of a pedestrian/vehicle accident caused by someone wearing their earbuds and stepping out in front of a vehicle.

There was a really, really sad case in Iowa City back in the 1980s, when a Sony Walkman was the epitome of mobile technology. Kid riding his bicycle to junior high with his brand new Walkman on with headphones (no earbuds back in those days!). He rode his bicycle in front of an oncoming train and was hit. In front of crowds of his peers, some of whom saw what was about to happen and screamed to try to alert him.

The traffic gates were down but the gates on that street were notorious for coming down for minutes before a train arrived and staying down sometimes for half an hour after a train had passed. I know that I, like many other motorists, would sometimes either cut around to the next street down that had no gates or drive around the gates in frustration.

All the kids I see in my neighborhood have headphones on, or whatever they call them now. They don't even blink if you pull right up next to them at a stop sign, no reactions at all. The smaller kids could be picked right up and put into a car before they know it.

Oh I know. I see those kids and adults for that matter too. I wasn't saying it's safe, just that it makes me sad it isn't.

Oh I know. I see those kids and adults for that matter too. I wasn't saying it's safe, just that it makes me sad it isn't.

Well, it isn't just predators, they don't hear cars approaching and step off the sidewalk, etc...they could get hit by cars, and probably do. So it isn't safe anyway, IMO.

Thank you, Thank YOU, THANK YOU! That clears up a LOT for me!

So it looks like we are dealing with a perp that is familiar to the area. . and the lake. . .enough to know that that spot is the weak spot. :(

Can you tell me what the area heading north east out of town is like? Any ideas why LE searched in that direction?

Depending on just how northeast you angle, it's either suburban (Elk Run) or rural farmland.

I have no idea why LE searched that direction. I assume they may have had some tips.

<snipped for space> There was a really, really sad case in Iowa City back in the 1980s, when a Sony Walkman was the epitome of mobile technology. Kid riding his bicycle to junior high with his brand new Walkman on with headphones (no earbuds back in those days!). He rode his bicycle in front of an oncoming train and was hit. In front of crowds of his peers, some of whom saw what was about to happen and screamed to try to alert him.

That is so sad!! The poor kids who witnessed it, too.

It's all coming back to me why my parents made me wear headphones with only one ear piece. To this day if I have stereo headphones I'll put one side away from my ear so I can listen to music with one ear but still hear with the other. I even do that in the house come to think of it.

Like many of us I'm sure, when driving I've had to dodge people of all ages who walked into the street while texting. Lots of them have been listening to music and barely seemed to notice a car right by them. Those of you saying it's dangerous for other reasons, you're right and thanks for the reminders.

I'm not sure it even matters now but did anyone see anything "ipod" or "Bluetooth" like in the pics w/TG? I don't at all think he's involved, I'm just trying to figure out what he might've been able to hear or not hear while on the trail or swerving to miss the bikes.

How about DPB (damn paddle/pedal boat)....it's earned it. IMO

I like it! And it covers both of the boat types. :) For real I'll stop talking about the DPB now. I do think it's pretty much not productive at this point. I wish I knew what WOULD be productive. C'mon LE any clues? Anything we can help do? (if by chance you're reading here) We care and we're spreading the word, maybe that's the most we can do right now.

I only have online maps to guide my search for possible places but has anyone considered the wooded area near the park to the East of town-

On Google maps I notice something of possible interest north east from Meyers Lake. There is a small pond in a remote N.W. corner of Elk Run Heights Park right next to a large wooded area with multiple trails in the woods and a dirt road or driveable service trail west of the pond. Seems like a place which I would have searched. Anyone know if it was searched or even what it is? Is it a fishing pond or something else? It just seems easy access from the Lake to the pond via the woods.
I am not sure why but it seems like a creepy place. :shocked2:
From maps only it seems to be an easy way to get from one place to another with minimal public exposure. The woods seem very think but small trails seem to be visible barely on Google maps. Then again, I am out of the area and have never seen it in person. Just going by Google maps.
Maybe locals know if it still has water or has been filled in? Maybe the girls were taken there...there are a few homes south of the small pond but the pond seems to be accessible from the North-east on the park entrance road. I realize Google maps can be behind the times. Just trying to look at any possibilities in this... :moo:

This is what I tried to describe. I am so tired, I probably do not make sense -_-.

Laketopond.jpg

Misty works in the Elk Run Heights branch of Casey's.

:what:
]

Yep that sounds right and unless stories have changed a LOT she was at the Casey's at least a few blocks from the girls, not right there.

She started her job a few days before all this, right? IIRC.

I only have online maps to guide my search for possible places but has anyone considered the wooded area near the park to the East of town-

On Google maps I notice something of possible interest north east from Meyers Lake. There is a small pond in a remote N.W. corner of Elk Run Heights Park right next to a large wooded area with multiple trails in the woods and a dirt road or driveable service trail west of the pond. Seems like a place which I would have searched. Anyone know if it was searched or even what it is? Is it a fishing pond or something else? It just seems easy access from the Lake to the pond via the woods.
I am not sure why but it seems like a creepy place. :shocked2:
From maps only it seems to be an easy way to get from one place to another with minimal public exposure. The woods seem very think but small trails seem to be visible barely on Google maps. Then again, I am out of the area and have never seen it in person. Just going by Google maps.
Maybe locals know if it still has water or has been filled in? Maybe the girls were taken there...there are a few homes south of the small pond but the pond seems to be accessible from the North-east on the park entrance road. I realize Google maps can be behind the times. Just trying to look at any possibilities in this... :moo:

Gramma said she searched there.

And this day, they just didn`t come back. And so Kelly (ph), Elizabeth`s brother, he`s 12 -- I hopped in my car because the dad came home, and I went searching Elk Run. We were down by Meyers Lake. We drove all over every little park and Evansdale, Elk Run, every mentionable place, downtown area. And we couldn`t find nobody.

http://edition.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1207/17/ng.01.html

:ohwow:

What are the possible scenarios:

1. Girls ran off. [ not at all likely]

2. Girls taken by family to protect them. [ not likely, imo]

3. Girls taken by family friend/acquaintance/stalker [ bikes staged]

4. Girls abducted in town [ bikes staged]

5. Girls went to the lake to meet perp. abducted from there/

6. Perp was hiding there in the trap, waiting. random opportunity.

Any other scenarios?

I vote #3.
From day 1 I looked at the map (& reading that aunt t had a feeling) All I thought was quickly get the bikes as far away as possible from scene/abduction. To me on the map that would be Meyers Lake. Direct opposite end of town. But not to far that the perp(s) would be noticed gone for to long. This spot also get all of Evansdale LE looking at that end of town. Imo. I've always felt like they might have been spying on adult activities that they (the kids) knew should'nt be happening. Obviously if this is the case then what/who they saw could not let the girls tell on them.
Just my theory since the beggining but I certainly know what nasty pedo's are capable of.

]

Yep that sounds right and unless stories have changed a LOT she was at the Casey's at least a few blocks from the girls, not right there.

She started her job a few days before all this, right? IIRC.

Someone said the day before...very recently anyway, within the last week I believe.

Maybe someone has a link.

IMO The only reason i could see for an abductor to abduct the girls from one place and then to take the bikes and place them at the Lake would be if they abducted the girls close to their place of work/residence or somewhere theyre a regular visitor to.
Now and again IMO that could maybe mean that the abduction was premeditated as that takes thinking and a coolish head,it would be very risky..
If it was a random spur of the moment abduction then i think the abductor(s) adrenalin would be pumping and theyd be wanting the hell out of there.It takes a while to calm down and think straight and you would have no idea how long it would before someone started lookin for them or even if a parent/guardian/family member is going to appear either during abduction or placing of the bikes..you grab and go!..

Aren't the septic tanks in Iowa buried under a layer of soil? They are where I live, we get it cold here like you folks do. Every few years we have to have our septic tank pumped out, and the only way we can remember where exactly to dig down to find the lid is to line up with our hydro pole and a corner of our house. Then the digging leaves a patch of broken earth. Surely a homeowner would notice a patch of freshly dug earth over their septic tank.

We have had dead bodies disposed of in septic tanks here too, and I suspect it is the disturbed earth that is a big clue.

I am wondering how a killer would know where to dig in someones yard to find the septic tank. Even lifting the big cement lid here is a gut buster that we leave for the tank driver and his long metal pry rod.

Remember Summer Inman i think that was her name, the entire family put her in the septic tank of the church they went to. They arrested hubby and his mom and dad!

Right now, I don't think it's matters which way they left on the path, which path, where the bikes were placed. What needs to be concentrated on is who did it.

the thing that bothers me most about this case is the fact that Granma states that the girls never traveled that far from home so it must be staged, yet the lake was the first place they looked. Why assume they were at the lake if they wouldn't go that far??? that has been a huge thorn in my side and until I get past that I can't assume this is a random abduction by a stranger.

I think there is a reason they ran to the lake to look and they dont want to say why!

Why did this little girl have that cell phone?
To play games? what games could that phone have on it for a child?
Solitare?

I can understand kids taking mom and dads old cell phone and pretend to talk on it but these are not 5 and 6 yr olds?
Was that phone for 911 call? Was it charged?

Lyric wanted to run away! And this was only days before she went missing and i dont think it was about doing chores but thats just my opinion!
I think maybe this little girl wants to get away... and unfortunately ended up in the wrong hands!

No matter how many times u tell your kids to not go with strangers they DO!

Right now, I don't think it's matters which way they left on the path, which path, where the bikes were placed. What needs to be concentrated on is who did it.

I agree!

I think if the bikes were placed there they would have to have fingerprints!
The way the bikes were faced would tell you which way they had come from! We never turned our bikes around till we got on them to go back the way we came or continued on...

The way the girls were riding so fast by that camera, to me seems like they were in a hurry to get to the lake. I still think it was to meet the perp who they met on a different occasion. They were probally promised a boat ride. I always wondered if the tracking dogs caught their scent on any pedal, paddle boat in the vicinity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025