IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #20

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
South Dakota? I don't see but a few missing. You must be doing something right! Pass it on. ty

There have been 17 or 18 kids that have gone missing in Iowa in this area since April of this year and no one knows what happened to them. I consider that to be a lot of kids for a small community to just disappear without a trace. I know they consider several of them to be runaways but are they? I believe they just found a couple of them when they busted the human trafficking case in Chicago. I have no doubt whatsoever that LE is all over that but my little brain says something is wrong with this picture. I live in SD and in a bigger city than WaterLou Iowa, but we don't have any kids unaccounted for that I don't know about. Thank God they caught the last idiot that tried to abduct some school kids here which was recent. That sicko is in jail. I know that kids disappear all over the country, but 17-18 kids in one area in that short of time frame is a bit much to swallow.

That does seem like a lot of children to be missing from Iowa since April.:waitasec:

I listen to the radio scanner and hear a lot of calls regarding runaways. I wonder how many of these missing children started out as runaways, and then were picked up by perverts, killed and dumped somewhere.

It's a tragic situation, to be sure.

Is there a link to your statement about missing north east iowa kids being located during a trafficking bust in Chicago?

One thing one must realize about SD is that we doesn't have that many people to begin with, but I do know they do have a RSO website which puts the perps in a specific categories for RSO and you know what kind of crime they've committed in the past and where they live. They range them from minor offenses to severe. As soon as there were reports that someone was frequenting schools here trying to lure kids into their vehicle LE started the sex stings here. LE doesn't mess around here. I've seen them take peoples computers and cell phones as soon as someone files a complaint and they don't hesitate to press charges either. If a girl was to complain that someone is sexting nude pictures of them LE will be all over it.

Is there a link to your statement about missing north east iowa kids being located during a trafficking bust in Chicago?

I posted it a few pages back and I'm too tired now to look for it. One of them was the 14 year old girl who everybody thought ran away but she called her mother from Chicago and said she was being held against her will. There was two people from Iowa busted and I don't remember right off where the other person was from.

I don't know how many links I posted about human trafficking but I know there was a lot a few days ago that I posted. I just got off work after working 12 hours today so please forgive me.

Human trafficking is a horrific problem that is rightly getting attention BUT -

most trafficking as we know it is NOT snatching of unrelated children.

Most trafficking, unfortunately, takes place with the knowledge and consent of the children's carers.

There are many, many children trafficked in the US every single day...but they remain in their homes and the trafficking is arranged by their "loved ones".

Please do not fear that there are gangs of kidnappers prowling looking for well loved children to abduct and sell to order. There are always the statistical oddities but the sad fact is, most of these depraved appetites are filled by volunteers - by which I mean, parents who offer their children for profit.

We never, ever hear of these children. They are the forgotten ones. They are never reported missing in the first place because they often remain in the home.

Trafficking does not necessarily mean "abduction".

A sobering thought when you also realise most trafficking is done for drugs/drug debt reasons.

Another thing I can say about Sioux Falls PD, if someone calls in a domestic dispute and LE has to show up someone is going to jail. If you call in and say such and such hit me or punched me and LE shows up and then that person doesn't want to press charges and LE sees any kind of mark you can almost be assured that someone is going to jail irregardless if the person with the marks refuses to press charges. They do not tolerate that here. LE here is darn tough.

There was a guy that I worked with a few years ago who came across as a very religious man who had a 14 year old daughter and his daughter use to have her girlfriends staying over night when she was staying with her dad. Some how the girl found out her dad was video taping her and her friends getting undress etc and putting it on the internet. I personally never would have thought him to do anything like this but he did and the state of SD gave him 50 years in the state pen for doing so.

I don't dispute in the least that people, including parents, do horrible things to their children. Heck, we see stories about that here on WS every day, as well as in the media.

But IMO, to suggest that kids in our country are being kidnapped off our streets specifically to be sold to rich people around the world sounds like nothing more than an urban legend. It's a story that has been around a long time, passed around and discussed as though it is fact, told and retold, but unsupported by anything I have seen so far.

Sure, just because there is nothing on the internet to support the "kidnapping U.S. children specifically for sale to rich people" claim doesn't mean it isn't true. However, if something of this magnitude really existed in the U.S., believe me, I'm certain it would be on the internet and in MSM, and discussed on all of the daily gab-fests on t.v. JMO.

It is unfathomable where all of these missing children are. Some of them are probably runaways. Others are taken by pedophiles for their sick purposes. There are probably a lot of sick reasons for why children go missing. But an organized group of people isn't traveling the U.S., abducting children with the sole intention of selling them to rich people around the world. I just don't see any evidence to support that. JMHO.

Perversion isn't a new thing. I've read a lot about it in recurring news articles over the years, I don't doubt it. Old Jerry might be the master of the finer league after all. Sick sob. The sex trade is not a pretty subject to think about nor want to read. With the girls, I don't think that's what has happened though. So O/T my apologies.

I don't know how many links I posted about human trafficking but I know there was a lot a few days ago that I posted. I just got off work after working 12 hours today so please forgive me.

Yes there were lots of links and very useful! Thanks SnowBunny. You, or anyone else, can click the "button" looking icon next to your name and choose "Find all posts by..." to see your recent posts. It might vary by account set-up but mine shows newest to oldest. Makes it easier to look up recent posts if you can remember a screen name but not necessarily details about the post/timing. I use it to find my own old posts fairly often. :)

(PS I can relate to the 12 hour days... right now on sort of a medically-required break from that but I've been there. It gets so exhausting. Rest while you can!)

Personally, I think this was a local who lured these girls. I still can see them on that video riding like the wind like they had someplace they had to go and somebody to meet. To me someone had already encountered them and set everything in motion before they ever got to the lake or where ever they were heading. I wish LE would ask parents to come forward if any of their children came to them saying someone had approached them about anything strange whether its was an adult or kid during or before these two little girls went missing.

I wanted to keep this as a separate post and was worried if I used a previous post as a "jumping off" point it was going to come across wrong, so this is kinda a stand-alone on the "human trafficking" angle. I hope it's ok to post here. I don't know how relevant it is to Lizzie and/or Lyric and I can't even decide if I hope it is or isn't, but anyway...

I could be completely off base but when I first read the whole thing about abductors seeking such specific girls, I'm not joking, I was picturing some sort of catalog that included "ohh get me one of those, 11 years old and blond!" I keep thinking of those "Russian bride" catalogs and who knows how young those girls are, now I wonder if the ones in the 'catalog' were even the same kids that were later "delivered."

It's so hard for me to think this way but let's say you're running or selling to a big "child sex trafficking" ring,someone wants a very specific "type" of girl, and there wasn't already a girl being held that fit the bill. The mysterious "they" (one or more people) might go seek out a child that would? It seems so outlandish to me and I've even read a lot of the human trafficking stuff that was pretty horrible. The thought that there's some sort of "wish list" catalog out there scares the <self-censored> out of me.

I still think Lizzie and Lyric were taken by someone who knows one or both of them, and it seems very unlikely to me that they were abducted to fill some "catalog order" (makes me sick to even type that), but I do worry they somehow fell into a very dangerous circle of people. I hope not. :(

Yes there were lots of links and very useful! Thanks SnowBunny. You, or anyone else, can click the "button" looking icon next to your name and choose "Find all posts by..." to see your recent posts. It might vary by account set-up but mine shows newest to oldest. Makes it easier to look up recent posts if you can remember a screen name but not necessarily details about the post/timing. I use it to find my own old posts fairly often. :)

(PS I can relate to the 12 hour days... right now on sort of a medically-required break from that but I've been there. It gets so exhausting. Rest while you can!)

I agree with nikb, Snowbunny - your links were very informative. Thank you for taking the time to post them. While I didn't see anything to support the "kids being taken and sold to wealthy people" scenario, I did learn a lot about human trafficking.

It's awful how some people's depravities lead to so many children being abused and exploited. Prostitution, *advertiser censored* and Lord only knows what else. Truly sickening.

Perversion isn't a new thing. I've read a lot about it in recurring news articles over the years, I don't doubt it. Old Jerry might be the master of the finer league after all. Sick sob. The sex trade is not a pretty subject to think about nor want to read. With the girls, I don't think that's what has happened though. So O/T my apologies.

BBM I agree with you, but are you able to share why? (within TOS)

I feel the same way but I can't quite figure out why.

Whatever has happened, it's not good.

I pray these girls are in no pain or fear.

:please:

I appreciate the links that have been provided regarding human trafficking. But please direct me to the article that states there are people who abduct children in this country in order to ship them to wealthy people worldwide. So far, I have not seen it.

I know there is human trafficking, as I have stated over and over. My problem is with earlier comments suggesting there is an organized group/groups in this country existing for the sole purpose of abducting American children to be sold to wealthy individuals around the world, and that these people could be responsible for missing children in the U.S.

If someone can provide me with a link to a reputable MSM source or government report that conclusively states that children in this country are being abducted by people specifically for the purpose of selling them to wealthy individuals worldwide, then I'll believe it. But a link to an article talking about runaway kids being forced into prostitution, while horrific, does nothing to convince me that an organized group of people are stealing our children off the streets in broad daylight and selling them to rich people. I hope people can see the distinction I am making here.

Which is why I cannot accept the idea that Lyric and Elizabeth were taken for that purpose.

Me too, me too.

Far from denying that human trafficking exists in the US, I have given a brief outline of the history of it including the paradigm shift that revealed the problem.

Like you, what I am seeking information about is a very specific crime: US children abducted to be sold to wealthy individuals around the world.

So far, not one single link has been provided to substantiate that one single very specific claim.

Where did the discussion come from that kids were being abducted in this country and shipped to other countries start? I believe we have enough sickos in this country that they don't need to be shipping them out of the country. That would be pretty difficult to do, but I can't say it hasn't happened.

It was suggested that Elizabeth and Lyric may have been abducted for that specific reason: to be sold to a wealthy individual. Abducted to order, so to speak.

I simply did not see that as realistic, considering that no credible sources confirm that there have been that specific crime.

There have been 17 or 18 kids that have gone missing in Iowa in this area since April of this year and no one knows what happened to them. I consider that to be a lot of kids for a small community to just disappear without a trace. I know they consider several of them to be runaways but are they? I believe they just found a couple of them when they busted the human trafficking case in Chicago. I have no doubt whatsoever that LE is all over that but my little brain says something is wrong with this picture. I live in SD and in a bigger city than WaterLou Iowa, but we don't have any kids unaccounted for that I don't know about. Thank God they caught the last idiot that tried to abduct some school kids here which was recent. That sicko is in jail. I know that kids disappear all over the country, but 17-18 kids in one area in that short of time frame is a bit much to swallow.

I think it is more useful to look at the previous year's statistics, which gives LE a chance to resolve cases. When I look at the stats from 2010 and 2011, all the missing child cases have apparently been resolved.

Most of the missing children in the Waterloo/Cedar Falls area are probably runaways. That doesn't mean they are not in danger (there's a good reason why parents worry when their children run away) but it means that the child left voluntarily. That's a big difference from being abducted.

A few of the missing children sound like they are probably caught in a custody dispute. Again, this does not mean the child is not in danger because there are usually (not always) good reasons why one parent has custody and the other parent does not. But again, that is very different from abduction.

I see no indications that Elizabeth and Lyric ran away. Lyric apparently made a threat to run away before she disappeared; however, such threats are not unusual in children that age and she made no real attempt at running away. Elizabeth, so far as we know, has no such history.

I see no indications that Elizabeth and Lyric were the subjects of a custody dispute. For one thing, they aren't sisters, they are cousins. For another, all other family members are present and accounted for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LCD2024!